Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
Probably not all of them are doing it on purpose. I know I have gone AFK in Sector space only to find myself inside one of these when I return.

I wanted to bring this up anyway. I have been doing patrol missions in Pi Canis all night, and as soon as I exit a system, I usually fiddle with my inventory, checking new stuff against what I have equipped... or hail Starfleet to report the completed mission... or just sit for a minute and take a breather.

It happens WAY too often that one of these signal contacts will sneak up on me and suck me into these instances. I don't like it at all.

I know they're supposed to be random encounters, and the idea itself is cool, but it's usually inconvenient when it happens, and if what the OP is describing is really becoming a problem then something needs to be done about what both he and I are saying.
This is exactly my routine as well, and it also drives me nuts to get sucked in. Well put, UncleRomulus.

Thanks for the bridge tip, folks. I never thought about that.

Does anyone know if /afk will keep you from getting sucked in?
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Change instances. Sometimes when a person is afk in sector space, they get sucked into the deep space encounter. If you see this happening, just change instances.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
The easy way to prevent yourself from becoming one of them is to USE YOUR BRIDGE for AFK time.

Yes, zomigosh. The Bridge has a use!
First, thanks for the idea. I've never been AFK in one of these but I've gone to the kitchen to make a drink or gotten up to talk to someone and had to rush back to the 'muter as soon as the music changes and I hear I've been sucked in. Knowing I can bridge it to pause is very cool--I hadn't thought that through because technically I'm still in the ship...

Second, Excellent name.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I agree with you guys that many people just got sucked in and didnt mean to AFK but thats only some of em.

The others are AFK but not AFK at the same time, they hop instances or just stay in one and keep themselves from being auto kicked. That way you can get credit for defeating the encounter and work toward the Defend mission objective. These people are leveling by doing nothing. It also makes defeating the mission longer and tougher because your down a person because they sit at the zone in.

They need to stop the getting sucked into the encounter AFKers which should be an easy fix. But the exploiters will still be able to exploit and stay afk so it doesnt solve the problem of them.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Ah! I was just about to ask if going AFK on your bridge kept you from being hijacked by the random enemy encounter. Thanks for the tip.

Been many a time I went to get a cup of tea and come back to find I'd been shanghaied and [Defeated!] staring back at me.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRomulus View Post
Probably not all of them are doing it on purpose. I know I have gone AFK in Sector space only to find myself inside one of these when I return.

I wanted to bring this up anyway. I have been doing patrol missions in Pi Canis all night, and as soon as I exit a system, I usually fiddle with my inventory, checking new stuff against what I have equipped... or hail Starfleet to report the completed mission... or just sit for a minute and take a breather.

It happens WAY too often that one of these signal contacts will sneak up on me and suck me into these instances. I don't like it at all.

I know they're supposed to be random encounters, and the idea itself is cool, but it's usually inconvenient when it happens, and if what the OP is describing is really becoming a problem then something needs to be done about what both he and I are saying.
I too used to be sucked into these while working on something. My solution? Go to the bridge while doing so. You can't be pulled into a random there.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 08:00 PM
How about making the deep space encounters an auto team situation. Then if you have an AFKer just kick them from the team and it will drop them back to the sector just like when you leave a team in a any other mission.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 08:14 PM
I'd agree, but honestly I've been pulled into a lot of these when I was afk at the sector space map. I come back and I've been blown up or I'm just sitting there.

I like the idea that you can get pulled into the skirmishes, but not everyone isn't doing anything on purpose. Just a head's up.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCarrot View Post
How about making the deep space encounters an auto team situation. Then if you have an AFKer just kick them from the team and it will drop them back to the sector just like when you leave a team in a any other mission.
That is probably the best solution there. and probably the only way it will work.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoqkTer View Post
That is probably the best solution there. and probably the only way it will work.
That's not a bad solution, but I can see it being abused as well.

Just make it so that when someone goes afk....they have to emote /afk in order not to get sucked in. Whatever the solution, Cryptic needs to add a tool tip or something about it.

And I agree that something needs to be done about those who go afk in a instance on purpose. That's not cool at all.