Captain
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,740
# 11
03-15-2014, 06:29 PM
I hope new players read this. I needed to leave my last mirror invasion event mission cuz it was impossible to finish lol. I never thought this was possible, but i had a really nooby team, i was the only one trying to close all the rifts while they were all stucked trying to kill every ship around. So, it was impossible for me since i was carrying all the agro trying to close the rifts. In the end 1 minute left and we only closed 3 rifts. The screen was literally filled with enemy ships and the starbase was already destroyed lol. So i said by myself, meh, lets get out of here.
At least you can try it again if you have no chance to finish it (or you see you will not receive almost any rewards.. lol).

BTW, i wonder if people is so shy to answer through the chat window, but its amazing how i was trying to tell everyone "wth you doing, someone help me to close some rifts!!" and nobody answered or anything lol. Symptom of a really noob team, sigh. Bleh..

Last edited by edgecrysger; 03-15-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 51
# 12
03-15-2014, 08:04 PM
I've been of the mind to run the normal of this for the very fact that no one in Elite seems to care for closing rifts. Pity too cause it's a rare thing that we get a instance that is more than just blow **** up.

And even in normal I still see the starbase die once or twice a session (imo once is too much) I fly sci ships so I go in there totally pumped to close rifts but no one comes with me so I end up swapped by ships with out time to close rifts between spawns.

I'm pointing noobs to this thread form now on
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 228
# 13
03-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave85 View Post
Some kind of team split seems to be the most common strategy if one is employed. Either as OP describes, or two one side and three the other, or 2/2 and the fifth person guarding center. What I've observed running Elite with PESTF groups today is that with a decent team you don't even need a strategy. One player with a decent amount of DPS and AoE attacks can clear the area around a portal and close it themselves. When necessary, you jump in to help each other out as you fly around and see them in trouble. I've had near-perfect runs on Elite like this several times, usually we lose a mark or two from damage to the base on the Dreadnaught phase.

Speaking of which, I don't think the OP mentioned a critical detail of that phase. You HAVE to focus on getting the rifts closed before DPSing the Dreadnaught. It will not die if you don't close the portals, it'll just zombie at 0% HP. Considering that ignoring it causes damage to the base though, it seems 1-2 people (preferably running GW or tractors) need to engage the Dreadnaught and try to hold it away from the base while the rest get the rifts closed.
Thank you for telling me this. In all honesty I never knew. I have never been in a group that never tried closing the rifts. I personally went around and closed them every time.
Captain
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,131
# 14
03-15-2014, 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
BTW, i wonder if people is so shy to answer through the chat window, but its amazing how i was trying to tell everyone "wth you doing, someone help me to close some rifts!!" and nobody answered or anything lol. Symptom of a really noob team, sigh. Bleh..
Symptom of a closed chat window...
Career Officer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 662
# 15
03-15-2014, 10:26 PM
I'm having issues with the team chat too. I send out a handfull of messages to get some coordination with the team, but nobody replies...

CM
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 573
# 16
03-15-2014, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
I hope new players read this. I needed to leave my last mirror invasion event mission cuz it was impossible to finish lol. I never thought this was possible, but i had a really nooby team, i was the only one trying to close all the rifts while they were all stucked trying to kill every ship around. So, it was impossible for me since i was carrying all the agro trying to close the rifts. In the end 1 minute left and we only closed 3 rifts. The screen was literally filled with enemy ships and the starbase was already destroyed lol. So i said by myself, meh, lets get out of here.
At least you can try it again if you have no chance to finish it (or you see you will not receive almost any rewards.. lol).

BTW, i wonder if people is so shy to answer through the chat window, but its amazing how i was trying to tell everyone "wth you doing, someone help me to close some rifts!!" and nobody answered or anything lol. Symptom of a really noob team, sigh. Bleh..
That's me like every damned time. In one PUG I decided not to be the one to do the power and instead close rifts with a partner, and we wound up getting tier 3 defenses and just a couple rifts closed because nobody understood that in order to close a rift someone draws aggro and the other closes, and you have to stick together not fly off solo.
http://i.imgur.com/3S4K465.png

Riker has NO class

Delta Rising is the best expansion ever - Bombay style
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,533
# 17
03-15-2014, 11:42 PM
I just wish there was a simple post like this for every E'STF ... Sadly, as someone mentioned earlier, the one's who SHOULD be reading it, don't or won't ... Those of us who try to be helpful and productive in E'STF's though, appreciate your effort.

Thanks!
IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,770
# 18
03-16-2014, 05:14 AM
Does anyone have any tips on how to be effective on this map with science vessels?

I had good experience with both an Escort and a Cruiser, simply because they could destroy whatever came out of rifts and have enough time to close them, while that didn't work for me in an SV (Vesta with Aux Phasers). I was trying to use TBR to get the enemy far enough away, but that was never sufficient. It feels to me that particularly the SV benefit of a bit shorter duration doesn't do enough, but maybe it's me that didn't do enough.
Need to make some cool screenshots of my current ships...
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,244
# 19
03-16-2014, 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by w3est0fn0w3r3 View Post
I've been of the mind to run the normal of this for the very fact that no one in Elite seems to care for closing rifts. Pity too cause it's a rare thing that we get a instance that is more than just blow **** up.

And even in normal I still see the starbase die once or twice a session (imo once is too much) I fly sci ships so I go in there totally pumped to close rifts but no one comes with me so I end up swapped by ships with out time to close rifts between spawns.

I'm pointing noobs to this thread form now on
I noticed that in Elite there are those who simply do not even try to close rifts with as a result those that DO try to close them get overwhelmed, station gets disabled, optionals are lost.

It is also a possibility that Elite simply attracts lurkers/leechers because of the promise of higher rewards.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 228
# 20
03-16-2014, 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrumridcully0 View Post
Does anyone have any tips on how to be effective on this map with science vessels?

I had good experience with both an Escort and a Cruiser, simply because they could destroy whatever came out of rifts and have enough time to close them, while that didn't work for me in an SV (Vesta with Aux Phasers). I was trying to use TBR to get the enemy far enough away, but that was never sufficient. It feels to me that particularly the SV benefit of a bit shorter duration doesn't do enough, but maybe it's me that didn't do enough.
Yes actually. Depending on the Faction of toon your playing, depends greatly on the playstyle of the science ship.

Romulans: should cloak up whenever their out of combat and not closing a rift. Gravity wells work wonders, so do tractor beam repulsors. If you have to fight vessles focus on the weakest targets first. There is potential for sensor scramble in this one as well, especially if flying solo with a sci.

Starfleet: dont have any cloaking sci ships so best streategy is be ready with high gravity wells to snare after pushing out of range with tractor beam repulsors. I would say also hit with sensor scramble to make them fight each other while you go close a rift. Remember your primary goal as a sci ship is to close those rifts, if there's more then 2 sci ships in the match observe what they are doing and act accordingly. if both are already closing rifts, go hit the satalites.

Klingon: With the standard cloak you should come up on target rifts closing them accordigly when coming out of cloak. ""IF"" there is no one else helping you take the agro, tbr and gw followed up with sensor scram is always a good bet to make some time for yourself. Having 2 copies of each power is helpfull as well.

I know because I use all 3 in this event on all my toons. each one is using the dyson science destroyer...the free one, minus my romulan. he uses the c-store one. take graviton generators for snare and sensor consoles for the placate and confuse.

DO NOT: go without some type of resistance console. Simple phaser and disruptor or a neutronium works wonders. Kenetic resistance is the biggest thing you will need.

Remember: As a science ship you are not about the damage, you are about the resistance, the control, you widdle your foe down, not try to get oneshots. always take a step back to look at the overall situation and plan your next move acording to the flow of what is going on. do this and you will do fine as a science ship, doesn't matter your captain type. Helpfull hints from all my years of flying every type of ship with every type of captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questerius View Post
I noticed that in Elite there are those who simply do not even try to close rifts with as a result those that DO try to close them get overwhelmed, station gets disabled, optionals are lost.

It is also a possibility that Elite simply attracts lurkers/leechers because of the promise of higher rewards.
It's not so much that, it's that word...Elite. All anyone who has played this game recently knows is that killing everything in something with the Elite tag means win, so they assume this works the same way and try to dps it down like ISE. In many cases in this game it's the fault of the player never learning tactics in favor of getting the best ship and equipping it with the best equipment and continuously winning. They dont know any better. They never faced a true tactical challenge like the STF's when they first came out. We the captains had to be inventive to beat them. We had to know what was going on and learned good communication and tactical skills from things like that. then cryptic redesigned them to be burn it all with fire and you win...The thinking aspect was lost, and so too was players ability to adapt to different and changing situations. Personally I wished the stf's remained what they were. This is the first mission cryptic gave that requres more then dps in a long time. and there's another on the horizon too. Players will have to start devoloping these skills or they will keep failing.

Last edited by chaosgod777; 03-16-2014 at 07:06 AM.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:43 PM.