Captain
# 31
03-18-2014, 08:14 AM
@chaosgod777 - I've read your tutorial and tried it last night, except I think I was the only one who read it. Flying a cruiser I hovered near a sci ship and tried to draw agro, the sci ship helped me and ignored the rifts. Needless to say, by the time I noticed this the map was bleeding and I got vaped. I have no idea what happened to the other three. When I returned, Phase two started and it was a no-brainer. 36 Marks and the Transporter ... I called it a night.

I know I don't have the uberest build (in sig), but I don't think I could have done anything different to change that outcome. And frankly, my FIRST run on opening day was the most successful and have been getting progressively worse since then. Which seems counter-intuitive. Is it me?! I just don't know ...
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Captain
# 32
03-18-2014, 08:37 AM
I tend to adapt to the situation and do my "own thing" in this Elite mission. I generally go about fighting closing rifts when I can and activating the satellite when I can.

In one game yesterday I did my normal thing. I flew my cruiser to the nearest rift to close it 'cuz it was pretty close to a satellite. One ship followed me, maybe two. There were not a lot of enemies and I killed one baddie. But more baddies appeared during the fight and we got separated. I found myself alone near the rift and closed it.

I then decided to fly high above the battlefield to avoid combat to survey the situation and check the map. Everyone was basically fighting. No one were near any of the way points on the map that showed the locations of the rifts and satellites.

There were baddies near the satellite that I wanted to originally activate. But I figured I was high enough in altitude to activate it without getting into a fight. And that is what I did. I flew to the other way points to close rifts and activate the satellites. I used evasive maneuvers in those situations where I got attacked to escape and move onto the next way point.

I eventually close at least 14 of rifts (27 were closed in total) and I activated 3 or 4 of the satellites. The only combat entered besides my first kill was the final battle with the mirror universe battleship.
Captain
# 33
03-18-2014, 08:40 AM
With my D'deridex, i feel guilty not trying to draw aggro after someone gets to a rift area ahead of my slow FAWboat... but i can often close the rift that way as the second (decloaking) ship in.

I will eventually switch to my T'varo on my Romulan. And then I'll wonder why those darn slow cruisers arent closing rifts!
Nessia (KDF Sci), IKS Aluminum Falcon (B'rel Retrofit)

Swimsuits: People will pay almost any price to let their characters show a little skin... any price except joining the KDF.
Commander
# 34
03-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmgtorres1979 View Post
Huh? Activating the satellites makes it harder? And here I was thinking it makes it easier...
You found a keeper in that person, you should have add him/her to your friendlist for future good fun
I don't know if that's true. I thought rifts grew over time eventually spawning typhoons, and that as the first half progressed the rifts automatically grew larger. But there might be something in this. Is it tied to the station's level and not how long a rift has been active or how far along the first half of the event is?

I should look into this further.
Riker has NO class
Captain
# 35
03-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Well, tonight I am going to try that barrier shield I have from one of the giveaway ships. I hunt for rifts or satelites. but in most cases I am on my own fighting mirror ships and getting interupt when I try to close a rift or activate a satelite.

People should form teams, two by two, one team closes the rifts, the other one activates the satelites. The fifth one can defend the station. Pick aggro and lure them away.
Captain
# 36
03-18-2014, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fovrel View Post

People should form teams, two by two, one team closes the rifts, the other one activates the satelites. The fifth one can defend the station. Pick aggro and lure them away.
Thats not a sugesstion, thats the only way to do it right.

Not teams, because with only 5 guys you will not be able to form more than 1 or 2 treams in the end. Just 4 guys one on each corner fighting the ships emerging from the rifs and receiving all the agro, and 1 science guy doing circles at full impulse around the base closing rifts and using satellites. Eventually, more than 1 ship will be closing rifts as well, but thats the idea. And its the way the mission runs very smoothly.
Captain
# 37
03-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
Thats not a sugesstion, thats the only way to do it right.

Not teams, because with only 5 guys you will not be able to form more than 1 or 2 treams in the end. Just 4 guys one on each corner fighting the ships emerging from the rifs and receiving all the agro, and 1 science guy doing circles at full impulse around the base closing rifts and using satellites. Eventually, more than 1 ship will be closing rifts as well, but thats the idea. And its the way the mission runs very smoothly.
This is hard to achieve. Maybe its me, but I tried a few runs starting full impulse to get to a far corner to either cose rift or activate a satellite. Every time I got interrupted and a fire fight ensued. The longer the fight the more ships appeared.

So, I'm not going solo in a corner. The sci in that plan has to be johnny-on-the-spot. Relying on that is not a winning tactic.
Kathryn S. Beringer - The Dawn Patrol

Solaris build - Veritatum Liquido Cernene
Commander
# 38
03-18-2014, 11:28 AM
Sadly, I have noticed that few players even bother to use the Team chat (unless they are all using TeamSpeak). I don't have a voice headset, so I just type in the Team channel, but I NEVER see anyone even attempt to set out a plan for the team. It would be a good investment in the first 10 seconds to at least propose a plan of action, instead of assuming that everyone will do their job efficiently. This occurs in most every PvE mission, ground or space, and really defeats the purpose of having a multiplayer mission.

As I progress in my reputation grind, adding passives and gear along the way, I find that I'm generally getting killed less frequently, and my marks score is going up; mostly thoough, I just started sprinting for the farthest satellite out of the gate to activate it, and start closing rifts after that. If I get interrupted from the scan, I'll kill the closest enemines and resume, then look for any teammates who are outnumbered. Still haven't tried Elite, but I'm only in free ships so far, with little or no fleet gear, so I'm not going to hose up someone else's team. Besides, 50 marks in 15 min's ain't bad at my level...
Captain
# 39
03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
I tend to use my defiant. Cloak, full power to engines and aux, run up to the sats/rifts and when the enemy is out of range/edge of range (usually very often as they are going after teammates), hit the f. You are already a quarter through the progress bar by the time you finish decloaking. Especially helpful if you have a teammate in a cruiser drawing all the fire. Decloak, finish the rift, then throw some heals to the cruiser and help take some of the heat off him, then hit evasive and fly off to the next one, cloaking once out of red alert.

A battle cloak would be even better for this, but my Rommie and Klingon aren't lvl 50 yet.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
Captain
# 40
03-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrscarlet View Post
This is hard to achieve. Maybe its me, but I tried a few runs starting full impulse to get to a far corner to either cose rift or activate a satellite. Every time I got interrupted and a fire fight ensued. The longer the fight the more ships appeared.

So, I'm not going solo in a corner. The sci in that plan has to be johnny-on-the-spot. Relying on that is not a winning tactic.
Well, if you think this is hard to achieve, you are doing something really really wrong.

You CANT go alone, as i said, someone else must be in the rifts fighting the ships before yo get to em. If not, every time you approach a rift, you will be interrupted.

Trust me i used this method (in the teams i could, of course, not all teams are "smart", sadly) in every one i tried, and we always had more than 2-3 minutes left in the timer after the first stage. Always. If the players keep getting stuck in 1 place trying to do all the things at a time, its impossible and the screen is going to be filled by enemy ships no matter what to do. There are 4 strategic points, marked by the transfer stations, so 4 guys must be fighting there in each point, while the other one is closing the rifts as he pleases since nobody is interrupting him. The same guy can even start the transfers as well but that will take too much time for only 1 guy. The thing to do is, while the guy who started to close rifts is going around, the guy that was fighting the rift ships, must be initiate the transfer of the satellite once hes done killing em. And so on. This is the smoothest way to do it lol, but of course it needs team chating or no one in the team will know wth you doing or you want to
do..

And no. Cloaks doesnt work, maybe you had luck, but i have klingons and romis and it doesnt matter, you will be getting interrupted every time 1 or 2 seconds before you can finish the scan.

Last edited by edgecrysger; 03-18-2014 at 12:40 PM.