Empire Veteran
# 51
03-19-2014, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Usually 6 to 8 instances at least, on slow days. I've never seen only 1 instance on Qo'noS.

Anyway, I'm not sure why you're encountering those issues - like others I have also played STO on weaker configurations than yours and didn't encounter those issues in Qo'noS. I think it might something to do with the programming and the game itself, because for ex. there were times when this happened to me in Q's WW and I usually run it from my gaming rig.
It's the rendering system, unlike all other games, STO doesn't use LODs (levels of detail) instead they stack identical models onto each other. So instead of rendering 1 model you're rendering 4-8 models, times that by every model on a map (ground or space) and that is where the lag comes from.

I have seen the ship models on a Bridge Commander site and they are layered that way, multiple times and is a very inefficient method. I got no idea why they do this personally, but other games work fine without doing this and it really needs to be addressed. Fixing this so it's only one model instead of 4-8 would increase load times, decrease lag and allow more population in instances without issue. Plus nailing down some of the useless NPC's that just walk around and get in the way would also help.

But unfortunately Cryptic just seems to not look back for the KDF, while they revamp old Federation missions that ran perfectly before, we have several missions that are bugged and/or unplayable. Makes me wonder how the hell they have remained in the industry for so long. I bet if this wasn't a Trek MMO, or the only Trek MMO it would have failed long before F2P was introduced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"