Lt. Commander
# 11
02-05-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Threepwood
because this is a game and if it tells you exactly where to go there's zero interest in finding it, merely "collecting" things.

It's the difference between hide and seek and "get your sister for me. she's in her room"

that being said, GLOWIES should be on the map after a certain time limit. Like...if you haven't found a glowie in, say, 5 minutes of looking, it should appear.

I cannot STAND 20 minute glowie hunts. They are required to find. Anomolies are not.
Anamolies should be pinpointable. It's an anamoly, therefore trackable, therefore
scannable. It isn't some huge blob in space it occupies a very specific space.

Therefore scans should pick it up.

I don't know about you people, but time is precious and IF I can save time with
skills or equipment I'll do that.

But, investing in skills and equipment in scanning is currently pointless. It should
at least be something that is WORTH investing in. Otherwise, don't have it at all
and we can all play needle in a haystack.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Mainstein
Anamolies should be pinpointable. It's an anamoly, therefore trackable, therefore
scannable. It isn't some huge blob in space it occupies a very specific space.

Therefore scans should pick it up.

I don't know about you people, but time is precious and IF I can save time with
skills or equipment I'll do that.

But, investing in skills and equipment in scanning is currently pointless. It should
at least be something that is WORTH investing in. Otherwise, don't have it at all
and we can all play needle in a haystack.
scan skills affect things like "sensor scan" not your "scan for anomoly" ability

you didn't follow me. IRL, you're right. But that's not compelling gameplay. Ergo: scans tell you the DIRECTION to go so you can find something, not just run to where it is and loot.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osete View Post
I wish they'd change the color of the beam. There are some base ground missions where it matches the decor.

LOL, make it user customizable and it would spawn quite a few threads LOL. (Joke)

I really like the functionality and use of the tricorder.

when on a mission, and not sure where the next objectives are, I use my tricorder, which makes complete sense, and matches the show. Well done on that one.

And it points the direction pretty good with wider for closer thinner for further. moving the view a bit really helps to pinpoint the direction also.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
scan skills affect things like "sensor scan" not your "scan for anomoly" ability

you didn't follow me. IRL, you're right. But that's not compelling gameplay. Ergo: scans tell you the DIRECTION to go so you can find something, not just run to where it is and loot.
Hmm, getting a vague line of advance is compelling game play?

Having skills that are worthless is compelling game play?

It just hasn't been thought out well enough.

Skills should equal a better 'fix'. They don't.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-05-2010, 09:06 PM
Quote:
Hmm, getting a vague line of advance is compelling game play?

Having skills that are worthless is compelling game play?

Skills should equal a better 'fix'. They don't.
what skill is worthless? ground scan is extremely valuable when looking for anomolies and that "last glowie". What are you talking about?

Vague line of advance? It POINTS IN THE EXACT DIRECTION to go. That's not vague.

what skill are you talking about? PLEASE LISTEN:

the scan that finds anomolies is a given power...like "sit" or "rest" in other MMOs. You don't train it. You don't skill it up. It just IS.

Skills that increase sensor abilities affect powers like sensor scan (the ship debuff) and jam/scramble sensors. Two completely different things.

Now you can argue that you don't like the fact that you have to "find" anomolies and would rather it just say where they are...that's opinion.

But your REASONING for having that opinion, so far, has been either hard to understand or (in the case of your "skill" argument) flat out wrong.

It is not worthless, as it shows you where to go. It doesn't say "go exactly here" but it does say go in this direction and in your "exploration" you will find something.

"compelling" was being used to describe "play", not some sort of critique. It is a GAME to try and find something. It is not a game to simply run to a blip on a map and click on it.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Which is why you're getting so much support in this topic when the servers were down and everyone was on here
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Quote:
what skill is worthless? ground scan is extremely valuable when looking for anomolies and that "last glowie". What are you talking about?

Vague line of advance? It POINTS IN THE EXACT DIRECTION to go. That's not vague.

what skill are you talking about? PLEASE LISTEN:

the scan that finds anomolies is a given power...like "sit" or "rest" in other MMOs. You don't train it. You don't skill it up. It just IS.

Skills that increase sensor abilities affect powers like sensor scan (the ship debuff) and jam/scramble sensors. Two completely different things.

Now you can argue that you don't like the fact that you have to "find" anomolies and would rather it just say where they are...that's opinion.

But your REASONING for having that opinion, so far, has been either hard to understand or (in the case of your "skill" argument) flat out wrong.

It is not worthless, as it shows you where to go. It doesn't say "go exactly here" but it does say go in this direction and in your "exploration" you will find something.

"compelling" was being used to describe "play", not some sort of critique. It is a GAME to try and find something. It is not a game to simply run to a blip on a map and click on it.
It's a click oriented game. If 'FiNDING' were so important we would navigate to galaxies not
simply click them on a map.

Not getting a 'blip' on the map is simply a method of 'time sinking' a degree of difficulty in game which
is tiresome, instead of a 'real' difficulty in game to level or inherent difficulty of a given scenario based
on 'good' gameplay.

Not pinpointing is merely a method of adding a degree of difficulty which is artificial. And unwarranted.

I don't understand what is 'difficult to understand'. Scanning should pinpoint anything. I'm not entirely sure
why you're anally concentrating specifically on anamolies, this is a generalised critique of scanning and it;s
lack of accuracy.

Lack of accurcay in game and lack of accuracy pertaining to the STO universe.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcsola2003
Which is why you're getting so much support in this topic when the servers were down and everyone was on here
Because I'm alone in thinking this I'm wrong?

Nope.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
Sometimes my scanner points far far away and nothing is out there.

Am I the only one this happens to?

Is this normal?
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsentients
Sometimes my scanner points far far away and nothing is out there.

Am I the only one this happens to?

Is this normal?
Case in point.

This happens A LOT.