Lt. Commander
# 21
02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
This game appears to be too complex for you.

If being pointed in straight line to your destination is too much to handle, then just stop searching for anomalies.

Not every game needs to put everything in a minimap. I'm sick of carbon copy game mechanics. I like the scanning tool, its fun and unique.

Also, skills have nothing to do with scanning for anomalies so I'm not sure what pipe you were on there.

If you find an instance where the anomaly isn't where it says it should be (usually outside the zone border), bug report it. They don't really change positions in specific maps
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Your scan points you to where the nearest anomaly is, space or ground.

I saw one in a building the last time I played, but forgot to /bug it. Seriously it was inside a building. I ran all around to make sure, and either we get to fly on the ground eventually and it was on the roof, or we need to learn to walk through walls.

I also saw on rightin front of me on the ground another time and couldn't pick it up. Was too frustrated with it to /bug that one, too.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Sinner
This game appears to be too complex for you.

If being pointed in straight line to your destination is too much to handle, then just stop searching for anomalies.

Not every game needs to put everything in a minimap. I'm sick of carbon copy game mechanics. I like the scanning tool, its fun and unique.

Also, skills have nothing to do with scanning for anomalies so I'm not sure what pipe you were on there.

If you find an instance where the anomaly isn't where it says it should be (usually outside the zone border), bug report it. They don't really change positions in specific maps
Define straight line when that line can be up or down with anamolies?

What possible problem do you have with pinpoint accuracy on the map rather
than a vague line of reference.

What is your problem? This isn't about complexity it's about pointless time sinking.
And crappy game play.

I expect trollish idiots but at least be subtle about it.

Lt. Commander
# 24
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Mainstein
Define straight line when that line can be up or down with anamolies?

What possible problem do you have with pinpoint accuracy on the map rather
than a vague line of reference.

What is your problem? This isn't about complexity it's about pointless time sinking.
And crappy game play.

I expect trollish idiots but at least be subtle about it.

this is what I'm talking about.

You're obviously uneducated on the topic you're trying to debate.

the scanner "line" is a 3D beam. It points in all 3 axis fields. This is the third time in three pages you've made a comment about the scanner system that's completely wrong in trying to support your opinion about how stupid the system is. You're either intentionally misleading in your comments (which I doubt), or you don't even know the system in the first place, which makes your critique of it irrelevant.

Please pay attention: the scanner being discussed has ZERO skills associated with it. the scanner being discussed works in a 3-D plane and points both north, east, south, west, as well as up and down. The scanner being discussed works as the scanners in the tv show and films worked...it points the direction to something interesting.

Again, I have no problem with your opinion about wanting pinpoint "go here for X" stuff. That's your opinion. I disagree completely when it comes to anamolies (talk about crappy gameplay!), but whatever. there's no point in debating taste.

But you keep making blatant mistakes in how the system works, so I urge you to re-evaluate your reasoning if you want to be taken seriously.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Threepwood
this is what I'm talking about.

You're obviously uneducated on the topic you're trying to debate.

the scanner "line" is a 3D beam. It points in all 3 axis fields.

Again, I have no problem with your opinion about wanting pinpoint "go here for X" stuff. That's your opinion. I disagree completely when it comes to anamolies, but whatever.

But you keep making blatant mistakes in how the system works, so I urge you to re-evaluate your reasoning if you want to be taken seriously.
Oh Deer.

I'm not 'uneducated', what the hell does that mean anyway in this context? Lol
It's still a line and it still can be incorrect in game. ie nothing on the end of said line.

So stop with the patronising garbage.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Ok, I scan and I get some vague message about there being something
out there.

Well I already know that, I want to know where that something IS!

So tell me, what is the point of scanning, if you can't pinpoint what
you're scanning for?

Is there some skill I'm missing? Does sensor equipment improve
scanning? Because I've tried that route and nada.

If it does nothing and I'm open minded about being wrong, what is
the point of it. At the moment all it does is frustrate.

I need to know where the stoopid dilithium rock is, not that it's out
there somewhere. I already know that!... Lol

Lt. Commander
# 27
02-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Oh Deer.

I'm not 'uneducated', what the hell does that mean anyway in this context? Lol
It's still a line and it still can be incorrect in game. ie nothing on the end of said line.

So stop with the patronising garbage.

Thanks.
uneducated as in not knowing what you're talking about. you've made constant mistakes and uneduct...um...wrong statements on how the system works.

If you are experiencing scan lines that don't take you to the right place, that's a bug. I have not encountered a single "wrong" direction yet, but if you somehow are, bug it.

I'm not patronizing you at all. I am calling you out on not knowing the topic you're trying to debate. Please don't misconstrue me showing you where you're wrong as some sort of personal attack.

Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
It's a click oriented game. If 'FiNDING' were so important we would navigate to galaxies not
simply click them on a map.
First off, you're in the same galaxy no matter where you go. You're going to systems and system sector blocks. It's all the same galaxy. Galaxies are BIG. Very very very big. Plenty of room for all those systems.

Secondly, I like flying my ship manually from system to system. Nothing says you have to use the auto-pilot, after all. You can drive around and dodge other players and detour, and...well, so on and so forth. It's not necessary to only be clicking.

Quote:
Not getting a 'blip' on the map is simply a method of 'time sinking' a degree of difficulty in game which
is tiresome, instead of a 'real' difficulty in game to level or inherent difficulty of a given scenario based
on 'good' gameplay.
You know, you can just ignore the anomalies entirely. Again, no one is saying you have to do anything at all with them. During CB and OB, we got along just fine without them, seeing as how Memory Alpha wasn't working and you had nothing to use them for anyway. Since you apparently can't take a few moments out of your busy schedule to adjust your course and pick up something that's entirely extra, you could just ignore it.

And getting an arrow that points DIRECTLY TO THE ITEM YOU'RE LOOKING FOR is hardly a time sink. Mining in WoW? That's a time sink. You get no directional clues to where the mining nodes are at, although they spawn in the same places over and over you have no idea how long it has been since the last person grabbed it, you can only see the "blips" you're so fond of on the map if you're within range on your map -- but have no idea where to go to GET in range...yeah, that's soooooo much better than being told where to go and being the only one who can pick it up, avoiding ninja-ers and such.

Or perhaps you'd prefer Eve Online, where you can also get blown to smithereens while peacefully mining away? Yeah, that'd be fun too.

But anyway, if you consider getting an arrow pointing you in the direction you want to go "difficult", I hope you don't have a driver's license. God help us all if you ever encounter a one-way street.

Quote:
Not pinpointing is merely a method of adding a degree of difficulty which is artificial. And unwarranted.
Again, where exactly is the difficulty? The anomalies are not way off five minutes out of the way of your path for the mission. They are scattered along the path you should be taking in the mission ANYway. In space missions, perhaps they're a bit above or below or to the side, but you're still not having to make a major trip. A few moments at full impulse, and boom, there ya go. On the ground, they tend to be a bit outside of your target zone for the mission, but that actually helps you out, because now your scanner will point to mission objectives. Oh noes, the difficulty!

Seriously, you're just making yourself look bad by calling a big blinky arrow that has no cooldown timer, no required skills to learn, and doesn't even cause you to drop shields or anything "a degree of difficulty".

Speaking of skills, I noticed you stopped mentioning that you didn't see why you had to learn sensor skills to use it...didja notice all the other posts saying those skills were for something entirely difficult?

Quote:
I don't understand what is 'difficult to understand'. Scanning should pinpoint anything.
Yes, because in every episode of the series the sensors gave them huuuuuge reams of data on what they were scanning for, and exactly where to go to get it. Baka. Think about it...when in the show did they ever have a complex problem, or even a really simple problem, that could be solved in a few moments with scanning? Every time they scanned for something, they would get vague results, or Spock or Geordi or Data or whoever would say they had never seen readings like that before, etc. and so forth. Scanning wasn't an instant-win button then, and it shouldn't be now.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure why you're anally concentrating specifically on anamolies, this is a generalised critique of scanning and it;s lack of accuracy.
Well, y'know, probably because the only things the scanning you're talking about is USED for is anomalies and quest targets. THAT. IS. IT. The various skill tree "scanning" abilities have absolutely nothing to do with the sensor scan button. They do not affect it, it does not affect them, they are two completely different things. The scanner-related skills in the skilltree relate only to Bridge Officer and character powers. The scanning ability has nothing to do with anything but giving you a glowy arrow towards the next anomaly or quest target. Why is this so hard for you to understand? I'm really trying not to get angry here, but it's hard when you're ignoring what everyone is telling you in favor of your own little worldview.

I can only imagine the conniption fit you would've had in closed beta when all the scanner button did was tell you how many anomalies were in the area, and nothing else. Your head might've exploded.

To sum up: Scanner-related skills in skill tree = enhancement to activated powers. Scanner button (V, or the litle inverted pyramid of energy button by the minimap) = Directional cue towards the nearest anomaly or quest target. Fix this information in your mind, please.

Quote:
Lack of accurcay in game and lack of accuracy pertaining to the STO universe.
Again, when was the last time you saw an episode where the scanners could pinpoint everything about things right away? There was always a dispersal field, or an energy interference, or the thing was moving, or had natural cloak, or the planet was causing interference, or any number of things. And once on the ground, they generally just got directional clues. Sometimes there were distances, yes, but really you're not exactly moving over miles and miles of terrain here. It's NOT difficult.

Mind you, you'll probably ignore all of this information as being "too difficult to read" or something similar, so it makes me wonder why I wrote it all out.

-Kunou
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Great, so why isn't that pinpointed on the map?

Not some vague directional arrow.

It's a scan ffs, it should come up on the map.
Dependent on skills or equipment.
Vague? Are you serious? No, you can't be serious. You are joking... yes, that must be it... because no one in their right mind would have trouble finding an objective by following the blue light. BECAUSE IT POINTS EXACTLY THE DIRECTION IT'S IN. AS IN.... THE BLUE LIGHT IS SE... I RUN SE UNTIL I BUMP INTO THE GLOWIE.

I really would hate to see you play LOTRO before they put the quest helper in, when they would have questgivers that said things like, "It's to the SE of such-and-such."
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Threepwood
uneducated as in not knowing what you're talking about. you've made constant mistakes and uneduct...um...wrong statements on how the system works.

If you are experiencing scan lines that don't take you to the right place, that's a bug. I have not encountered a single "wrong" direction yet, but if you somehow are, bug it.

I'm not patronizing you at all. I am calling you out on not knowing the topic you're trying to debate. Please don't misconstrue me showing you where you're wrong as some sort of personal attack.

Thanks.
Lmao. How can I be wrong about wanting it pinpointed on the map?

That is a requirement, not some sort of incorrect statement.

It is in keeping with the STO universe. Scanning pinpoints, it doesn't
just give a vague line.

Well you're lucky aren't you. I've traced lines that have had zero
on the end of them several times.

Hence this thread. You don't seem to like the idea of having a scan
pinpointed. This garbage about I don't understand game mechanics
is just that, garbage.

How can I not take something personally that is personal?