Lt. Commander
# 21
03-18-2014, 02:09 PM
If I go by the above however it is not an "open" project as it claims to be, but a rather biased one.

Also as said, there was no disco, I was not on fireman's duty that day either, I was simply enjoying the scenery and hoping to see something interesting happen and instead only witnessed several men dressed as women awkwardly flirting with each other.

Anyways, point being that fleet tags do not really speak for the invidual, or shall we perhaps judge by race next? No Klingons because trouble? No Orions because pheremones?
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
03-18-2014, 02:35 PM
The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

The OSB Project is entering it's second phase, where other fleets open their bases to the general public. This was never about Praetorian or just the 26th Fleet. This is about the small RP Fleets that form out of the friendships that are made, due to the networking. This is about expanding the horizons of role players.

What we want, is for other bases to open their doors and invite players to RP there. If the house rules of one base are too strict for you, there is another that fits your play style. That's why I'm building the directory. Each base will have its own house rules that they can enforce at their leisure.

If you've been to the base before, and had a bad experience, come check us out again. We had a number of players that departed the fleet, most of them were anti-OSB. Thus far today, the trolls have been few and the RP has been plentiful. Thank you all for your continued support. The 26th Fleet will be back with more community blogs in the future.
Captain
# 23
03-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedcore View Post
....If the house rules of one base are too strict for you, there is another that fits your play style. That's why I'm building the directory. Each base will have its own house rules that they can enforce at their leisure.

If you've been to the base before, and had a bad experience, come check us out again. We had a number of players that departed the fleet, most of them were anti-OSB. Thus far today, the trolls have been few and the RP has been plentiful. Thank you all for your continued support. The 26th Fleet will be back with more community blogs in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerpyderp View Post
They also enjoy handing out kicks based on costumes they do not approve of, any form of weapon being visible (when in the series it was common for officers to be armed at all times during war and even outside each always had his type 1).
If you are worried about controversial outfits, you might as well shut off your monitor. STO is filled with a wide diversity of outfits, which could be considered awkward or offensive. Clothing diversity enriches the game, for they reflect the awesomeness of being unique.

Role playing = to bring a character to life based upon a unique and imaginative perspective.

Creative expression must be allowed to breed.

Last edited by venkou; 03-18-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
03-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkou View Post
Booting people for wearing controversial outfits and weapons is dumb.

Its not strict.

Its dumb.

If you are worried about controversial outfits, you might as well shut off your monitor. STO is filled with a wide diversity of outfits, which could be considered award or offensive.
Prohibiting [certain groups] from entering roleplay spaces is perhaps the [last line of defense against people who want to disrupt roleplayers].

Criticizing this fleet--in the manner you have--for having standards with which you disagree is silly. No wait. I'm mistaken...

It's dumb.

Last edited by purplegamer; 03-18-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 25
03-18-2014, 04:08 PM
In short you are trying to justify your "open" project being biased towards elements of the playerbase of which you do not approve while still advertising it as open.

If your intent is to play Barbie and Ken with your friends only, I would advise to stop advertising this as an "open" project.

Should you want an example of truely open projects I suggest looking at the NoP Public Service channel where we cater to the needs and wants even of those who we do not personally approve of.

Also I must agree, 2409 has so many uniforms available and surely civilian attire has also evolved in the years between the movies and game as it has in the past 40 years in the real world, we cannot judge any one character based on their attire. Weapons I already discussed.
Survivor of Romulus
# 26
03-18-2014, 04:09 PM
Quote:
In short you are trying to justify your "open" project being biased towards elements of the playerbase of which you do not approve while still advertising it as open.

If your intent is to play Barbie and Ken with your friends only, I would advise to stop advertising this as an "open" project.

Should you want an example of truely open projects I suggest looking at the NoP Public Service channel where we cater to the needs and wants even of those who we do not personally approve of.

Also I must agree, 2409 has so many uniforms available and surely civilian attire has also evolved in the years between the movies and game as it has in the past 40 years in the real world, we cannot judge any one character based on their attire. Weapons I already discussed.
Maybe they should have called it "Open Starbase Project: Except [Groups Who Disrupt Roleplay]." Would that be more palatable?

Last edited by purplegamer; 03-18-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Captain
# 27
03-18-2014, 04:15 PM
When I played table-top role playing games, the way we designed our characters was based upon creative expression. Our outfits defined our individuality, profession, and personality. As long as someone could justify something, we didn't care about what the person was wearing.

Just have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
Prohibiting a certain fleet from entering roleplay spaces is perhaps the final weapon the roleplaying community has against said fleet.
I can agree to a certain extent.

I just do not like to judge a whole fleet, for the actions of a few of its members.

Last edited by venkou; 03-18-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 28
03-18-2014, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by venkou View Post
When I played table-top role playing games, the way we designed our characters was based upon creative expression. Our outfits defined our individuality, profession, and personality. As long as someone could justify something, we didn't care about what the person was wearing.

Just have fun.
Sure. Table top has been the same way for me as well, but you might imagine that things change when your group goes from ~5 to ~100.

Edit - Even still, there are times when a player will show up with a character that just isn't appropriate for the game--be it their personality clashing with the group, their class being over-represented, or what have you. In those cases, the GM will likely advise the player on how to better fit in within the campaign. Sometimes an agreement can't be reached and the player goes on to find a more appropriate game for them. I don't see what the 26th is doing by policing their spaces as any different than a GM ensuring the atmosphere is conducive to what they're trying to accomplish.

Last edited by purplegamer; 03-18-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegamer View Post
Maybe they should have called it "Open Starbase Project: Except that one fleet which goes out of its way to disturb roleplayers." Would that be more palatable?
I see many more complaints from people not belonging to our fleet who have been kicked for varying reasons. Also personal issues between someone and our fleet can gladly be brought up with our representative and public affairs official Nbreeki.

As to disturbing roleplay, the only roleplay we have a problem with is public ERP. If you were caught engaged in that and fumigated as a result, perhaps you should have had the decency to withdraw to a private map.
Survivor of Romulus
# 30
03-18-2014, 04:21 PM
Quote:
I see many more complaints from people not belonging to our fleet who have been kicked for varying reasons. Also personal issues between someone and our fleet can gladly be brought up with our representative and public affairs official Nbreeki.

As to disturbing roleplay, the only roleplay we have a problem with is public ERP. If you were caught engaged in that and fumigated as a result, perhaps you should have had the decency to withdraw to a private map.
[No one said anything about your fleet].

Last edited by purplegamer; 03-18-2014 at 04:37 PM.