Lt. Commander
My new character arrives at the academy and signs up for courses that will guide my career in Starfleet as a tactical, engineering, or science officer. The first 5 levels as a cadet are spent learning my current and potential skills so that I may choose which to specialize in later on. This is done by performing tests or exams much like the Kobayashi Maru test that I need to pass that can be retaken to score perfectly and perhaps win commendations that I could display in my dorm room. At the end of my training as a cadet I will earn the rank of Ensign and receive my first orders from Starfleet.

Now as an Ensign I can accept orders to go on missions. For this example say I am an engineering officer. I will go on missions serving at my station on a NPC ship with an NPC captain. I will also be issued quarters on board a place to be alone and decorate as I see fit. There would also be a 10 forward to chat with friends as well as other notable places on board to visit (sickbay, engineering, atrium etc.).

Now as a player progresses some may choose to gain command skills and can eventually perform missions as an acting captain. These missions can be performed alone with an NPC crew or an all player crew. This inspires community and group play.

Fleets could requisition star ships based on their level and go on missions, but anyone at any time can do missions on-board an NPC ship for exp. Members of the fleet could set up and design these ship any way they seem fit.

Crafting would be as it should be. Weapon, Armor, enhancements be it food or medicine. With several branches to each type like armor side could make armor suits, or choose to craft kits.

Granted this is a fantasy and I do like the game as it is, however I am afraid the game won’t last very long in its current state. It will take more than a small patch to add enough content or sandbox type play to keep people interested long term. The whole experience now is far to solo based and makes having or being in a fleet almost pointless. There is no foundation to build a strong community of long term players other than the words “Star Trek” on the box.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
not back to the old player crew thing ffs?

player crews would suck imho. content would have to be super easy and each station would be only a fraction what's involved in the current combat of STO.
one guy flies, one guy shoots, one guy adjusts shields and one guy sits there talking on vent telling th erest what to do.

no thank you. i like being captain of my own ship that I control.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyklingon
not back to the old player crew thing ffs?

player crews would suck imho. content would have to be super easy and each station would be only a fraction what's involved in the current combat of STO.
one guy flies, one guy shoots, one guy adjusts shields and one guy sits there talking on vent telling th erest what to do.

no thank you. i like being captain of my own ship that I control.
I like the game play as it is too, I don't mind being the Captain. But how many times can you instance in and kill 5 groups or scan 5 of whatever until it gets old?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
the game needs more flavor of what a Star Trek quest is. Not everything is shoot and kill. Puzzles need to be solved.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Davis
the game needs more flavor of what a Star Trek quest is. Not everything is shoot and kill. Puzzles need to be solved.
^---------This.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 10:22 PM
There's that whole "online" part that they can't seem to get a grip on, too....
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Watching the show a person really routes for the Federation but based on the war actions i have seen thus far I am seriously considering resigning my commission as a Starfleet officer. They are nothing but bloodthirsty warmongers with no regard towards life or peace!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Some good ideas. I would like to see player crews as an option once they get the interiors fleshed out, but the notion of them does remind me of......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqB55bJsYcI
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolaRain View Post
Watching the show a person really routes for the Federation but based on the war actions i have seen thus far I am seriously considering resigning my commission as a Starfleet officer. They are nothing but bloodthirsty warmongers with no regard towards life or peace!
Don't forget to shoot them from behind for the bonus!! lol
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanton
Don't forget to shoot them from behind for the bonus!! lol
Seriously though, I just had a mission to murder everyone in a Romulan medical facility. Seriously a few of them begged for their lives! I mean I was ok with the war setting but when an Admiral tell me to "Leave no Witnesses"..... this is NOT Star Trek...