Lt. Commander
# 1 Wheres all the money going?
02-05-2010, 11:12 PM
Cuz it isnt being reinvested in hardware solutions or talent. This games lack of It management will signify its early death in a vast MMO market. Yet another display of Cryptics inability to play with the big dogs. Stay on the porch and piddle with the puppys. Cant wait to hear the endless excuses made by subscribers..yeesh. Lord knows they are more creative than Cryptic when it comes to offering a really good excuse for **** poor business accumen.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericdee
Cuz it isnt being reinvested in hardware solutions or talent. This games lack of It management will signify its early death in a vast MMO market. Yet another display of Cryptics inability to play with the big dogs. Stay on the porch and piddle with the puppys. Cant wait to hear the endless excuses made by subscribers..yeesh. Lord knows they are more creative than Cryptic when it comes to offering a really good excuse for **** poor business accumen.
Loathe as I am to compare, launch week for STO is different than WoW, how? Or... is Blizzard not one of the "big dogs"?

I could also say that a portion of your money is going to run, maintain and house the forums, which are inundated with "I am so important! I am going to post a new topic that already has dozens of established threads".

Excuses? No. Understanding of how things work? Yes.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Loathe as I am to compare, launch week for STO is different than WoW, how? Or... is Blizzard not one of the "big dogs"?

It' been what 7 years since wow launch not much of a comparison!
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapsor
It' been what 7 years since wow launch not much of a comparison!
It's an apt comparison. Malachi didn't say anything about longevity, he was talking about launch. How long another MMO has been around has no bearing on how it launched - and launches are inevitably crappy.

also, not sure how you say the money
Quote:
isnt being reinvested in hardware solutions or talent.
especially considering they said they were increasing server capacity on the first day.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-05-2010, 11:31 PM
the point he made is:

why are they still crappy?

One would think that after what, a decade of online gaming some know how would have been accumulated.
Hes probably also referring to the whole headstart-preorder thing.

Not to mention they knew what was coming from ob. Oh, and its star trek. that is bound to draw more attention then some superhero niche game.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I can understand software bugs that need to be worked out but there is not excuse for a lack of server and bandwidth capacity.

Hardware is dirt cheep right now and MMO server and network Infrastructure is nothing new at this point, especially from a company that already runs 2 other MMOs.

It's a little scary that no one did proper capacity planning, scarier that they cant solve a capacity issue weeks after it was first identified.

That said, no I'm not quiting and no you cant have my stuff. It's all common anyway