Lt. Commander
# 1 Alternate Controls?
02-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Does anyone know if you can use, or STO will support, Joystick use or maybe a controller like an Xbox? I certainly think it would make the space battles a little easier!
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-05-2010, 10:35 PM
im not sure how you would access over 2 dozen special abilities as an admiral with a joystick or gamepad, good luck with that.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KhansWrath
im not sure how you would access over 2 dozen special abilities as an admiral with a joystick or gamepad, good luck with that.
I could come up with a few different ways to use 24 abilities using 5 buttons. Might be a bit unwieldly, but using a pad could be interesting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-06-2010, 10:04 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of useing a joystick in conjunction with your keyboard... Space flight would be easier I think, especially during battles. On away missions, maybe the stick could be used for avatar movement and abilities still activate by keyboard? Just a thought....
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-06-2010, 11:05 AM
would be nice if there was a USB controller function...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-06-2010, 01:47 PM
I tired using an Xbox 360 controller with STO but went back to using the mouse and keyboard.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-06-2010, 04:43 PM
How'd you get an 360 controler to hook to your computer?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahrain
I could come up with a few different ways to use 24 abilities using 5 buttons. Might be a bit unwieldly, but using a pad could be interesting.
Actually I'll disagree. If you remember playing the old Wing commander IV games on the Play-station. That had a huge number of button Combo's and it worked well enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey View Post
How'd you get an 360 controler to hook to your computer?
Wired ones have a standard USB port.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey View Post
Does anyone know if you can use, or STO will support, Joystick use or maybe a controller like an Xbox? I certainly think it would make the space battles a little easier!
I'm using Voice Command in combination with mouse and keyboard.. works wonderful so far.

Software is built into Vista / Windows 7.. Speech Recognition software.

then I DL'd the thing from Microsoft called Windows Speech Recognition Macros which allows me to customize for in game controls.

Nothing like flying into combat while saying Tychon's Rift, High Yield, Alpha, fire torpedos, while steering with the mouse and managing my Phasers and shields with my hands.

I do have some defensive set up as well like Brace for Impact, Power to shields, and Reverse Polarity (I say Modulate Shields).

Makes me fell like I am in the Captain's Chair..

Great for being interactive.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestalence_XC View Post
I'm using Voice Command in combination with mouse and keyboard.. works wonderful so far.

Software is built into Vista / Windows 7.. Speech Recognition software.

then I DL'd the thing from Microsoft called Windows Speech Recognition Macros which allows me to customize for in game controls.

Nothing like flying into combat while saying Tychon's Rift, High Yield, Alpha, fire torpedos, while steering with the mouse and managing my Phasers and shields with my hands.

I do have some defensive set up as well like Brace for Impact, Power to shields, and Reverse Polarity (I say Modulate Shields).

Makes me fell like I am in the Captain's Chair..

Great for being interactive.
Yep I dusted off my old Voice Buddy and it works well with Windows 7. I love giving orders like "Ahead Two Third" or "Evasive Manuevers". Save my hand from finger gymnastics.