Lt. Commander
# 21
02-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hivewasp View Post
LOTRO got 9

6 is still above average; and potentially if the devs keep tuning things; and adding contents; STO should earn a solid 8.

But numbers are meaningless. Each one of us has a different 1-10 scale; it's not because we play the same game that we see it exactly the same way; that our play style is similar; or anything. So depending on our expectations, past experience personality we will all rate it differently.

Same game; different reviewer... different rating. It's not an accurate benchmark mesuring exact data; its a purely subjective number.
thats why you should take a look at metascore, they include every official review rating and the number you get out of that is pretty much spot on.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-06-2010, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post
They gave a terrible game like ******** 8/10. theyre pretty damn biased. Infact almsot every other mmo except wow gets very low ratings. Not too surprised really since blizzard has partnered up with them a few times for competitions and such.
WoW bores me to tears, I'm playing again after being invited back by friends. For a "crap" game, it does have a lot of features. Crafting, PVP in different formats, meaningful loot, meaningful leveling, different classes that impact your play. I'm sure I could go on. Or you could, even though you likely don't play either.

8/10 seems fair for WoW, and I don't play it.

6/10 also seems fair for STO. And I do play it.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-06-2010, 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haruen
WoW bores me to tears, I'm playing again after being invited back by friends. For a "crap" game, it does have a lot of features. Crafting, PVP in different formats, meaningful loot, meaningful leveling, different classes that impact your play. I'm sure I could go on. Or you could, even though you likely don't play either.

8/10 seems fair for WoW, and I don't play it.

6/10 also seems fair for STO. And I do play it.
difference is, wow NOW has 10/10 in that reference review site
the 8/10 was a release test.

its still no secret that sto was rushed though.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosoul View Post
difference is, wow NOW has 10/10 in that reference review site
the 8/10 was a release test.

its still no secret that sto was rushed though.
Exactly. WoW may have had a rough start.... but it's a 10/10 now. The only issues wow had early are connection issues because of connection issues. STO suffers from FAR more than that. God Bless them. They need it.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lx31
Good point. We've known the game was pretty bad for a while.
No. You may think the game is bad but please don't include me in your "we". Eurogamer is crap... that's my opinion.

But using th opinions of a second-rate gaming journalist to bash a game does less for you credibility than it does for Eurogamer.
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-06-2010, 09:22 AM
Wow is popular because it caters specifically to the people who want a pve endgame IMO. Other games might have that as well, but none have the years of polish. Most gamers today cannot stand a launch. While they might try a new MMO, they will get upset over a crash and go back to WOW.

The reason for WOW's initial popularity is that the bigger MMO's at that time were PVP focused. Those that wern't were useing old engines and designs.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VainEldritch View Post
No. You may think the game is bad but please don't include me in your "we". Eurogamer is crap... that's my opinion.

But using th opinions of a second-rate gaming journalist to bash a game does less for you credibility than it does for Eurogamer.
.......and this post does wonders for your credibility as a fanboy
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcane View Post
Wow is popular because it caters specifically to the people who want a pve endgame IMO. Other games might have that as well, but none have the years of polish. Most gamers today cannot stand a launch. While they might try a new MMO, they will get upset over a crash and go back to WOW.

The reason for WOW's initial popularity is that the bigger MMO's at that time were PVP focused. Those that wern't were useing old engines and designs.
Maybe if companies produced a game that was worth a damn and released a finished product, there wouldn't be so many people canceling and going back to WoW.

The fact is that if a game wishes to be successful it must be released as a finished product with full content and great polish. Like it or not, they MUST compete with the industry juggernaut that is WoW. Of course WoW didn't start that way. They didn't have to. But everything these days must if they wish to survive. WoW has now dominated the market and as such it now dictates the standards by which all others are judged. You might not like it, you might not like WoW, but its the reality of the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellcane View Post

EQ and FFXI were among the big hitters before WoW took the scene, both had PVE based endgames, FFXI in particular had next to no PvP available at all, barring an activity called Ballista, which wasn't anything to write home about.
WoW is popular because as far as MMOs go, it's the best one in the eyes of the majority of the MMO community. It's polished, very polished. The game is filled with extensive lore and sidestories, it has PvP on tap, and it is extremely accessible.
People love to harp on about how it sucks, it's too easy etc, whilst they're playing a game that's flopping like a fish out of water as it hemmorages players, thinking they're superior to the 'WoW kids' because they're playing a game that's not WoW. It's hilarious, really. Kinda like those people who will love a band while they're underground and relatively unknown, but as soon they start to get somewhat big and make money, they're terrible and sellouts.