Lt. Commander
# 31
02-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphus View Post
The thing a lot of people don't realise is that a lot of the time (especially for the less prominent publishers/game developers) the release date of a game is as much a budget deadline as anything. Months of game development is an incredibly costly endeavor.

It's very easy to say; "they should have pushed the game back 6 months", but just the salaries of the staff involved for 6 months is a huge investment. Your talking about 1200 hours per person, I don't know the typical wage or the number of people involved but if we were to be extremely conservative and say 10 people on $20 an hour that is $240k.

I'm sure if you had spoken up and offered to invest this sort of money in the game prior to launch they would have been most willing to push the release back.

In my experience people are very quick to suggest how things should have been done when they are completely ignorant as to why things were done.
A flaw everyone is somewhat susceptible to, but indeed in this case its rather extreme of one to think they can throw out these sweeping 'Well Cryptic should have" or "Cryptic could have" statements knowledgeably.

To expand on the above poster's excellent point;

Building a game is not nearly so easy as people seem to think, especially not an MMO(RPG) which is vastly more complex than most games.

Engineering the stability of the M and the M and the O is quite a feat itself, not to mention the game content.

When you beam aboard Starbase-1 next time, look at every single object in the room and ponder this;
Every texture had to be made, from scratch.
Every face of every object in the room had to be modeled, from scratch.
Every texture had to be UV mapped onto the model (which is sometimes tedious and frustrating as heck)
Every light had to be programmed and attached to its source, from scratch.
Thousands of lines of code and script had to be made to drive all this in a working fashion.... guess what?
From scratch.

The only thing not made form scratch are some of the sounds and the Engine itself.
(which were made from scratch at some point in time...
Count yourself lucky they already had an engine or development would have taken much much longer.)

Cryptic had to model, program, texture, and engineer every last bit of everything you see hear and do in STO and on top of that make it work under the strain of thousands, or even hundreds of thousands of players across the world.

So, how much do you think that cost in both man hours and dollars?
Once you have a decent estimate, multiply by two and add a dash for marketing, purchasing servers, production of DVDs etc and then go blather on about pushing back the launch date.
Or 'wishing they had done more.'

As a game modder, I can tell you that simply re-texturing something someone else has made, to a decent standard of quality, is not a swift or easy task.
So I speak from a small ounce (albeit very small) of actual working experience when I say that their task here is not an easy one.
Even with the in-house tools they doubtless have.

I can also say that once you have a working platform to go off of, content becomes somewhat easier to produce, so just grow some patience and settle in.
Enjoy whats already in-game and stop with the frankly mindless propositions (like filing lawsuits.)

ok, yes, end of my rant :p
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM
whaaa.... a Fleetmate and I were trying to level up a couple alts, when we tried to enter the Pico system we crashed and now we can't get back in on those toons! WHHAAA!!!! Someone call whine one one... I need a WHAMBULANCE!!!! I'm gonna sue!!!! WHHAAAAA!!!!

this is the 'cry baby, I lose out on $0.02 per every hour the server goes down or something bugs thread', right?

/endsarcasm
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-06-2010, 01:40 PM
And here I thought it was another "is there any male players or their any female players" thread and thought it be a funny one. baaaa....DO I have to get out a complaint letter? lol

Well, I knew it was coming. In fact, I predicted it quite a long time ago when I said that ColdFusion would yield this country to the forces of darkness, oppression, and tyranny. And now that it has, we must undoubtedly hold ColdFusion responsible for the hatred it so furtively expresses. The nub of what I intend to say here is that I, hardheaded cynic that I am, can't make heads or tails of ColdFusion's bons mots. I mean, does it want to play on people's conscious and unconscious belief structures, or doesn't it?

Is there a way to counter ColdFusion's morbid hastily mounted campaigns? Oh yes, there is a way. It's really quite simple and can be done by any individual. It doesn't cost a thing, monetarily. It requires only time, diligence, and a desire to restore the world back to its original balance. ColdFusion's ideological colors may have changed over the years. Nevertheless, its core principle has remained the same: to fill the air with recrimination and rancor. If you don't believe me then note that ColdFusion's doctrines are just another signpost marking our long, steep cultural descent. But there's the rub; revanchism is not confined to any specific era, culture, or country. Hence and therefore, it's possible that what I take much more seriously than putrid, filthy knuckleheads are what I call bestial, headstrong slimeballs. However, I cannot speculate about that possibility here because I need to devote more space to a description of how this is a lesson for those with eyes to see. It is a lesson not so much about ColdFusion's longiloquent behavior but about the way that I'm sure ColdFusion wouldn't want me to eavesdrop on its secret meetings. So why does it want to use paid informants and provocateurs to advocate fatalistic acceptance of a sinister new world order? I'm sure you already know the answer so I won't bother repeating it. I'd like to emphasize, however, that ColdFusion exhibits an overweening sense of entitlement and a predilection for depreciating others. If you find that fact distressing then you should help me provide a trenchant analysis of ColdFusion's proposed social programs. Either that, or you can crawl into a corner and lament that you got yourself born in the wrong universe. Don't expect your sobbing to do much good, however, because ColdFusion needs to stop living in denial. It needs to wake up and realize that when it says that it never engages in slimy, mischievous, or Pecksniffian politics, that's just a load of spucatum tauri. What I had wanted for this letter was to write an analysis of ColdFusion's paroxysms. Not an exhortation or a shrill denunciation, but an analysis. I hope I have succeeded at that.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldfusion View Post
fan boys...

Really.

Buy a condom with a hole in it?
A loaf of bread missing two slices?
a car missing a bumper?

Would you accept these purchases?
Have you no concept of what an MMO is? The answer is obvious. Thanks.
Lt. Commander
# 35
02-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirian
Did you know: More Americans are overweight than pay Income Tax. According to recent statistics, 68% are above the average healthy weight, but only around 50% pay Income Tax.
Did you know there's no constitutional law for you to pay taxes in the USA?
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-06-2010, 02:39 PM
You know, I am just gonna add my two cents to this, just because I've seen him use this sillyexample before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldfusion View Post

Buy a condom with a hole in it?
A loaf of bread missing two slices?
a car missing a bumper?

Would you accept these purchases?
1 ) Condom with a hole in it : Depends if I knew about it. Maybe I needed a really good strainer of fluids? I've known some special effects companies that have used condoms not for the purposes intended. Then there are also gents who want to "fool" the women they are with and really want to get them pregnant.

2 ) Loaf of Bread : I think as Cygnus-D puts it, this is easily exchanged. The price of bread, in most "stable" countries with non-rampant inflation is not that much. Besides this, I do not know too many people who would know the exact number of slices in a loaf of bread. Maybe there is such a thing and this would make a VERY good quiz question for a TV game show such as "Jeopardy"? In the states, there are laws that cover reasonable variances in "hand-made" foods. If it is close, it is legal. Even then, if you are dealing with a personal baker, I am sure you'd get another loaf back.

3 ) Car with a missing bumper (or door as he has listed before) : I sure would! Such a thing would probably be discounted and if the discount was great and the car's model was desirable to me, I'd buy it and go out and buy a stock fender or door for the car!

And here is the thing: the #3 example is probably closest to buying STO. Actually, if you were in Beta, you know what kind of goods you are buying, just like it is obvious with the car. If you were NOT in Beta, well, you still have a thirty days free to try it before you have to cancel your account. That's not a bad deal to try something out. I know of some car dealerships, especially in recent economic down times, that will give you 30 days to consider a purchase, but that was not the norm. And let's face it: STO is not as big an a financial investment on your part as an automotive would be.

Now, if you bought a Lifetime...well, there is still time to cancel it (they allowed people in CO to do so early on). I just don't understand why someone with an in-game avatar and a sig such as yourself would feel so slighted by this game.

But really, someone mentioned Windows (and others mentioned games that get patched up). You know, as much as I would LOVE for Microsoft to get sued, especially because it is a more IMPORTANT piece of everyday software that many more folks use, they probably are not gonna get sued. People may grumble, some may go to Linux or get a Mac, but people put up with it. Through all the years, in regards to your version of "quality" and a particular company's version, no case has won out. "Quality" is subjective. Always has been. Maybe that makes people "sheep" but there are other things most people worry about in regards to their personal lives. This can be a bad thing (such as not worrying about government laws/regulation), but that wall can be a big one to fight. Most need to worry about their jobs and making sure their children are healthy and so on. All in all "software" is not that necessary (unless your company deals with it) for the average person, even Windows. Game software, doubly so.

Whatever you want to think, go read some Dev posts. Reason they haven't answered every post, beyond that it would be inhumanely impossible to answer the threads that pop up every minute asking the same question for those that didn't bother to glance over 1-10 pages worth of topics that come out everyday, is because they are pretty darn busy with implementing Klingon content, Fed content, bugs, and a few other things that probably shoulda been fixed before release.

But I ain't angry over "unfinished polish" of the game. Heck, even Romulans and those little guys with the pig noses and that race that talks about walls falling with their arms wide ain't even in the game. And why should they be? Those are for expansions. Okay, so some, such as yourself, may be bored of the game, or not. So...leave. End of story. Maybe this will make you happier. No, you want to be a self-appointed "moral judge" and save people from themselves. Let people come up with their own perceptions of the game and act on it. It is not hard for them to uninstall the game. Yes, maybe it is human nature to post a "sour grapes" post, even though it really is not classy or mature, but that is the nature of the best and I can't begrudge them. The fact that these posts are not wiped/closed speaks nicely of Cryptic, I should think, compared to some other MMO companies that squelch any form of negative talk of the game on their forums.

Fanboy? Hater? There are many who are just "gamers" and play what they like. If they don't, it is easy enough to move on. "The game's the thing." Maybe in a few months this game will meet your standards. Maybe not. If not, it is time to move on to something else for you and not be pre-occupied with "lawsuits". Vote with your money.
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-06-2010, 02:52 PM
This thread fails in so many ways, makes me wanna go for a walk. :p
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-06-2010, 02:54 PM
This thread's so bad I can't even be bothered to post in it, except for this sentence stating my feelings towards posting in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-06-2010, 02:57 PM
And people don't believe me when I say petty litigation is a cultural value. I'm totally going to link this thread as evidence from now own. Thanks OP!
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone_Flavored_Gum
This thread's so bad I can't even be bothered to post in it, except for this sentence stating my feelings towards posting in this thread.
Hey you know what...isnt chocolate cake great?
Closed Thread