Lt. Commander
You probably guessed it, my issue is with the Officer Trainer.

I find teaching my officers new skills pretty unclear. The current situation is this:
  • visit the trainer
  • select a skill from the menu
  • scroll around to find the selected skill again because the list has scrolled (this is a bug I presume)
  • read if it fits the officer you want to train
    • wonder why the officer you had in mind cannot be trained in that skill although they both are the same field of expertise
  • select the officer from the menu
  • hit "Train" button
To top it off, the skill descriptions often don't even show if they're for ground combat or space combat, and sometimes even lack a clear description of what they do in the first place.

Here's how I'd have it done:
  • visit the trainer
  • select the officer you want to train (e.g. Science Officer John Doe)
  • choose which field to train (ground combat or space combat)
  • select the grade you want to train (Ensign, Lieutenant, Lt.Cmdr, ...)
  • then do you get to choose the skill you want to have from a list of skills that is available to that BO type only
    • if the officer cannot learn a skill, although skill and officer are of the same field of expertise, you're informed why
  • hit "Train" button
Not only would the list you have to scroll through be much smaller, retraining your officers would also be way more straightforward.

I hope you folks agree with me the process of retraining the BOs could be a lot more straightforward than it is currently. If enough people agree to this or have even better ideas, it might persuade Cryptic to do it, since it doesn't alter gameplay in any way.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't be a fool!

the way you have outlined is ripe with common sense and ease of use!
Lt. Commander