Lt. Commander
# 11
02-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinak View Post
the argument against this is the production costs. this would increase the cost of making the game by an unknown amount. all I know is that the "protagonist" of grand theft auto 4 for example. (can he really be called a protagonist?) was payed ~$200,000 USD for his voice talent. imagine if every current and future quest had to be voiced out? the cost would undoubtedly be substantial.

don't misunderstand me here, I am completely in favor of voiced quest dialogue. But I doubt Cryptic has the resources to do this. The long term success of STO is no where near guaranteed.

besides all that. It would probably slow or even prevent the addition of future quests due to it all having to be voiced out before implantation. Ultimately increasing production time as well as cost.
I agree yet disagree here. DDO Had brought in Gygax to voice over several modules. Yes it was good to hear a voice there, i just don't know if he was paid, or paid a substantial ammount for it. Most people will expect payment obviously, but there may be the few that don't. I wonder if Nemoy and Quinto(did i spell that right) got paid anything for adding thier voices to the game.......
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leorik
I wonder if Nemoy and Quinto(did i spell that right) got paid anything for adding thier voices to the game.......
You can safely bet your life that they did.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
Just get STO fans to volunteer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bangt7d9vGA

I rest my case.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Ok that was funny.
But are u telling me you couldn't do there than that?
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-06-2010, 11:22 AM
At the bare minimum, all the tutorial stuff and the first few noob missions should be fully voiced.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Quote:
I couldn't make it through the whole thing, but the voice acting looks like it might be the least of what's wrong with that game.
Lt. Commander
# 17 LT
02-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffeeuk
i agree, i was hoping for voice overs have been wanting voice overs in games since uo, never seems to happern tho
Hech dudes..I'm still a LT since OB..HS..just becuz of sooo much to read & I'm a 'ol guy !!

..and I just hate them cats popping up to tell me to go somewhere else while I'm shooting somethin !
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-06-2010, 11:27 AM
It was an awesome thing to have Nemoy VO the new blocks as you zone in, but there needs to be more than that. This isn't FFXI circa 2003... It's 2010. Games just don't come w/o VOs anymore; like stated above, it just kills the immersion. Even wow has a decent amount of voice acting. Cutscenes and large questions/missions/fleet actions should have their major points in voice to add to the intensity of the situation. It just feels bland & disconnected to see a big text box when we're supposed to be defending a full starbase from klingon raiders.... "Wait! I haven't finished reading my admirals commincae! I know this is the 26th century and all, but we haven't figured out voice comms yet!"
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-06-2010, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
Have a competition, get fans to send in an audio clip reading a prepared script.
Bring them to Cryptic HQ, make the game audio.
Pay them a small amount, give them Lifetime subs.
Done.
Afaik they have voice-overs planned. Not full voice-overs, but your bridge officers WILL have voices.
They had in CB but were removed for being bugged until they can sort it out.
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakite View Post
It was an awesome thing to have Nemoy VO the new blocks as you zone in, but there needs to be more than that. This isn't FFXI circa 2003... It's 2010. Games just don't come w/o VOs anymore; like stated above, it just kills the immersion. Even wow has a decent amount of voice acting. Cutscenes and large questions/missions/fleet actions should have their major points in voice to add to the intensity of the situation. It just feels bland & disconnected to see a big text box when we're supposed to be defending a full starbase from klingon raiders.... "Wait! I haven't finished reading my admirals commincae! I know this is the 26th century and all, but we haven't figured out voice comms yet!"
I'm sure everybody would agree that more voice overs are good.
But the cost for any of the Star Trek actors must be very high!