Lt. Commander
# 21
02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin_Raider View Post
I'm sure everybody would agree that more voice overs are good.
But the cost for any of the Star Trek actors must be very high!
For the A list, maybe. But something tells me Bioware didn't have to pay Kate Mulgrew or Tim Russ all that much for their work in DA:O. :p
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-06-2010, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluntedJ
Voice Overs. Period. Listen, I don't have time to read quest details. Yes, I am lazy.
-End Transmission.
The problems, aside from anything else, are cost and time. Getting a voice actor that can actually *ACT* costs money. Sure, you could just shove a microphone and a script at Bob from accounting and the girl who works at the coffee shop, but odds are it'll end up sounding like hell. For a lot of people, the only thing worse than no voice work is BAD voice work.

Even assuming that you've got unlimited funds to pay for it, voice recordings takes time. With just text briefings, you write the script for the mission dialogue, attach it to the program script for the mission, and you're done. With voiced dialogue, you have to write the dialogue, schedule a recording session, and assuming it goes perfectly on the first try, you still have to take time to add whatever audio FX are needed.

Plus there's the problem of licensed characters - with text briefings, they could potentially include General Worf, the Doctor, or Seven of Nine in a mission. With audio briefings, they'd either have hire the original actors to reprise their roles (which some of them don't want to do. Since *gasp* some of them don't want to spend the rest of their lives doing Star Trek.) Or they could hire someone to try to impersonate them, which often doesn't work well and tends to annoy people. (Look at the reviews for any Star Wars game where Darth Vader appears, and see if the review doesn't specifically mention that he sounds bad.) Or they could skip any of the original characters that might still be alive. Guess which option is cheapest?

And if the dialogue was all voiced, we'd have the opposite problem: people complaining that they can read perfectly well, and very fast, and why do they have to wait for two minutes to listen to a bored actor read two paragraphs of crap they don't need to hear just so they can go shoot stuff. On another forum where I lurk, there's a ten page thread of people complaining about having to actually listen to the dialogue in Mass Effect and Bioshock, and proudly stating that they skip it every chance they get.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-06-2010, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanna
SW:TOR

1) Full voiced (first MMO ever)
2) Star Wars
3) Bioware
4) Already been in development twice as long as ST

You'll like it a lot when it comes out.
That games gonna fail hard. Lucasarts + bioware = terrible games period.

The only thing biowaer has going for it is storylines. They throw on a few flashy effects to please the sheep (easily led players)

Plus when an MMO is based on a space franchise, that doesnt have any space elements of the game, and its biggest marketing point is a voice-over, it's going to fail hard.

Too many players are comparing it to SWG. It cant be compared. SWTOR is a linear game. SWG was full sandbox. SWTOR basically is a single player game with a few mmo elements in it.
And the comment about being in development twice as long.. thats because they had to build an engine first. SOmethign Cryptic never needed to do. Good job with the fail logic though.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

The only thing biowaer has going for it is storylines. They throw on a few flashy effects to please the sheep (easily led players)

Plus when an MMO is based on a space franchise, that doesnt have any space elements of the game, and its biggest marketing point is a voice-over, it's going to fail hard.

Too many players are comparing it to SWG. It cant be compared. SWTOR is a linear game. SWG was full sandbox. SWTOR basically is a single player game with a few mmo elements in it.
And the comment about being in development twice as long.. thats because they had to build an engine first. SOmethign Cryptic never needed to do. Good job with the fail logic though.
I don't even know where to begin with your post.

I'll just comment on your first statement.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic .. 93 at Metacritic.. frequently cited on "best games ever" lists all over the world.

Yeah.. terrible game period.

TOR may suck ass for all I know, but none of us has played it yet, so we'll have to wait and see. BioWare's track record would suggest otherwise, though. Can the same be said for Cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-06-2010, 12:32 PM
I actually prefer reading because I feel as if I can imagine more of the story for myself. Also, I can always skip reading if I'm bored :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Voice overs are expensive as hell to produce. I also like them but even where there are voice overs I usually read the quest text because I tend to retain more of what I read than what I hear.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-06-2010, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgp123 View Post

Your ignorance is beyond unimaginable.

Bioware has made some of the best RPG's ever. KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon Age. All have gotten stellar reviews. And sorry they decided to use a good engine. Also, they've confirmed space combat, just not gone into any detail about it. Check your facts first you ignorant tool.

Also, you want to see terrible games? You should check out this developer known as Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Quote:
And if the dialogue was all voiced, we'd have the opposite problem: people complaining that they can read perfectly well, and very fast, and why do they have to wait for two minutes to listen to a bored actor read two paragraphs of crap they don't need to hear just so they can go shoot stuff. On another forum where I lurk, there's a ten page thread of people complaining about having to actually listen to the dialogue in Mass Effect and Bioshock, and proudly stating that they skip it every chance they get.
Very true. In a game like Mass Effect, it can be very irritating having to navigate the conversation tree, particularly the second or third time through a conversation. A LOT of people would like to skip through.

As for TOR, we'll see. BioWare ensures it will likely have a high production value, but I doubt that the game will be very engaging as an MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 29
02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Well if you really think about it. There is not much to be read anyway.

All the missions are

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Kill Klingon Patrols

Or

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah,
blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

Scan Romulan Generators

There is not much to it, just skip to the Bold Bright Green stuff and that is all you do.
Lt. Commander
# 30
02-06-2010, 12:47 PM
If it takes you more time to read the mission text than listen to the voice over...