Career Officer
# 21
03-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tngtrekman View Post
Wow, didn't expect all the JJ bashing. I wasn't even looking for that, I was seriously wanting to entertain possible story ideas that could spread from the events of ID. Immortality? Major Klingon threat?
all i can tell you is that you will find these types of battles between nerds/geeks over their preferred choice. most iconic example is star wars vs star trek .
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Captain
# 22
03-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
all i can tell you is that you will find these types of battles between nerds/geeks over their preferred choice. most iconic example is star wars vs star trek .
Oh dear. Can't people leave each other's respective fandoms alone, and never intertwine them?

stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
My Useful List of STO Forum Threads, Ship Builds & More!
It's about time. DEVS NEED ACCOUNTABILITY.
Career Officer
# 23
03-28-2014, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardestroyer001 View Post
Oh dear. Can't people leave each other's respective fandoms alone, and never intertwine them?
hahahaha! but its true though
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
03-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
My prediction?

Immortality blood, just like transwarp beaming, time travel at will, and that weird-ass planet in Insurrection, wil be completely ignored in the future. Everything will remain at status quo, just like always. And no matter how it's written, who produces, who directs, or whatever changes or remains the same, a bunch of folks here in Ten Forward are going to complain that it's the death of Star Trek.

Just like every change has been since the first movie came out.
Agreed.

But one quibble; the Ba'ku planet in Insurrection was outright stated to be a finite resource; impossible to get the radiation to benefit the wider universe without destroying the planet's capacity to sustain life. And once Picard blew up the collector, there wasn't even the tech for that.

So at least they gave a REASON for the status quo being maintained. JJcrap doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc8219 View Post
You wont find many friends of JJ on STO. He ruined our prime universe the game is set in by blowing up Romulus. I haven't even seen ID myself lol.
I actually kind of like the whole planet-blown-up thing, even if it does seem like some idiot Iconian jumped the gun by 20+ years on that one.

ID is action-packed and a fun movie (with some glaring "come ON" moments and bad acting from Kirk and Love Interest Chick), that has absolutely zero credibility once you start to think about it.

It's got more plot holes than a Dutch dam made of Swiss cheese, Benedict Cumberbatch is an obviously better actor than the rest of the cast put together (and that's saying something, given that Spock, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, and Scotty are all well-acted in their unfairly small parts), and the LENS FLARE is nuts.

Plus there's an explosion every 5 minutes, science and astronomy get thrown out the window, and Kirk for some insane reason does a 1-ship mission to SHOOT TORPEDOES AT QO'NOS. To kill ONE GUY.

Sure, he decides not to because Spock basically says "Dude, seriously? You want the Klingons to be pissed at you now, too?", but he still CONSIDERS it.

SO yeah. Decent if you're drunk, but makes "Sharknado" look good otherwise. Because at least "Sharknado" had a vaguely consistent plot.
Founder and Grand Vizier of the Sovereign Ba'al joke. Hail Ba'al! Our theme song
My official eternal issue: Why no muscle definition slider? Let's have some equal-opportunity sexiness, Cryptic!
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.
Captain
# 25
03-28-2014, 05:14 PM
The galaxy at large couldn't benefit from the Ba'ku. But are you telling me that the version of Starfleet in that movie wouldn't have at least considered sending some of their more "important" members to that world for a little spa treatment? Instead, it just goes into the bit bucket, never to be mentioned again.

Just like the time travel method used in "Assignment Earth" and ST IV; just like the Guardian of Forever, which was never mentioned again until STO; just like using the transporter and a stored DNA sample to restore a crew member with a lethal disorder; just like half a hundred other little details from half a hundred episodes and movies that, if properly explored, would have changed the entire Trekverse forever.

It's a pretty weaksauce criticism. And the poor astronomy affects almost everything in Trek, from ENT having Qo'noS less than a week from Earth at warp 5, to the stellar naming conventions in TNG, to the idea of Bajor having a class-M moon (I could see an Earthlike moon orbiting a transJovian planet, but for Bajor it would have been a binary planet, not a "moon"), to the idea of asteroids one could live on, to an event horizon with a crack in it, to... well, you get my drift, I'm sure. Let's just say that astrophysical accuracy has never been among the top goals of any Trek writers.
-------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by hfmudd
Quote:
You are special, you are unique, and you are passionate. You are also insignificant. Get used to it.
Ensign
# 26
03-28-2014, 07:15 PM
[/quote]Plus there's an explosion every 5 minutes, science and astronomy get thrown out the window, and Kirk for some insane reason does a 1-ship mission to SHOOT TORPEDOES AT QO'NOS. To kill ONE GUY.

Sure, he decides not to because Spock basically says "Dude, seriously? You want the Klingons to be pissed at you now, too?", but he still CONSIDERS it.

SO yeah. Decent if you're drunk, but makes "Sharknado" look good otherwise. Because at least "Sharknado" had a vaguely consistent plot.[/quote]

Well, to be fair, Kirk was motivated by revenge at that point in the film. He would of done anything to avenge Pike's murder. He wasn't thinking rationally, which is realistic. I saw that as a parallel to when prime universe Kirk from ST:VI would let the Klingons die rather than develop peaceful relations with them. He eventually learned that was not the right thing to do. Just like JJKirk realized. However, ST:VI dealt with that whole "revenge" issue better.
Commander
# 27
03-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Kirk et al discover that the time line they currently inhabit was altered and should not have occured and set about restoring the prime universe timeline by using Boot Camp to install Windows 8 on all the lovely Apple hardware on-board JJverse Enterprise...

...okay, probably not.
Captain
# 28
03-28-2014, 09:24 PM
This is why any new Star Trek movie set in the JJ Universe makes absolutely no sense.
Empire Veteran
# 29
03-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan218 View Post
My predictions: It'll be a good movie but everyone will hate on it anyway because it's not Primeverse.
yep, hate just because it ain't the original. Happens with EVERYTHING.
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Captain
# 30
03-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsills View Post
Just like the time travel method used in "Assignment Earth" and ST IV; just like the Guardian of Forever, which was never mentioned again until STO; just like using the transporter and a stored DNA sample to restore a crew member with a lethal disorder; just like half a hundred other little details from half a hundred episodes and movies that, if properly explored, would have changed the entire Trekverse forever.
Unusual timing. My non-Trekkie co-worker was noting today that he thought ST woefully under utilizes the transporter concept, then started spouting off idea after idea of how to use it. Some of what he mentioned was found somewhere in one of the series. Others, I could name the book and synopsis that addressed it. ("beam bombs" yeah, see the game transporter in My Enemy, My Ally. "body repair and swapping" yeah, that's in The Price of the Phoenix, etc.) His point was made though. Trek could push the transporter technology even further in useful ideas.