Captain
# 21
03-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconians View Post
Bruce Greenwood's Christopher Pike shows up on the bridge of the Enterprise, and reveals to the crew that Khan killed a body double of himself instead, and that Spock was in on the act. Since Starfleet Command would not have been so stupid to follow the exact procedure after realizing Khan had declared war on them (and knowing where they would end up).

Christopher Pike then grabs his cane and points to the turbolift and tells Kirk to get a move on before taking a seat in the chair of the Enterprise and smacking the floor with the tip of his cane before pointing to the viewscreen and telling the quartermaster to purge the cargo bays into the atmosphere of Venus.

"Thus solving the problem once and for all."

"But..."

"ONCE AND FOR ALL."
Sending them to the sun would be quicker, and there'd be no messy evidence to explain later if they ever do explore Venus.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
03-28-2014, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvitor View Post
Sending them to the sun would be quicker, and there'd be no messy evidence to explain later if they ever do explore Venus.
Venus is closer to the Earth than the Sun is.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Career Officer
# 23
03-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandnaguszek1 View Post
How do you think Khan in the J.J verse should have died?
Oh, I dunno...........let's see.

1. Has JJ's script dropped on him. That'll kill anything. Even a being with magic blood..........

2. Dying of old age in his cell while waiting for a ticket response from Cryptic about his Galaxy having a missing window.

3. Watching his own performance. ( well, I had to suffer it, so he can too )

4. Ricardo Montalbán ( The original KHAAAAAAAN ) walks on set and says " "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee... For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee..." shoots him with a phaser. Then returns to Fantasy Island for Targ wrestling and fruity drinks with lemon.
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Cryptic, I'll take your fancy T6 Ships and blow them out of the star's with my mighty T5 Vor'Cha!
Career Officer
# 24
03-29-2014, 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy View Post
I don't suggest this SHOULD have happened, but what if Spock killed him in his rage? What a very different narrative that would have been.
I think the whole thing could have flowed better if they hadn't focused on making Khan and Carol Marcus into mystery box reveals. J.J. has even said he now has mixed feelings on that because it doesn't hold up as a surprise on re-watches.

If you think about it, it would have freed up twenty minutes for a new subplot and altered the flow of the story enough that you would have had a different reveal/discovery about the point in the movie where Khan is revealed in the version we got.

At a certain point in a story, you can't layer in new characters or subplots and I gather they wrote this one fairly linearly. When they wrote the scene with Mickey from Doctor Who saving his daughter, they wrote it because it seemed like a nice scene but they wrote the movie pretty much in order not knowing where that would go. It wasn't there to setup Kirk coming back. The writers admit when they wrote that scene, they had no clue what the third act would be. They just liked the visuals and dialogue.

Cut out the plots with the false identities and the third act opens in a different direction. Maybe the planet where Kirk violated the Prime Directive at the beginning could have been more pivotal to the ending. Maybe you'd have a new subplot where Pike says, "I violated the Prime Directive once..." and the species Pike assisted comes back to help against Khan, causing Starfleet to accept that the Prime Directive needs to be more flexible and that Kirk should be cleared. Maybe Mickey would have enough space freed up to pop back up with a continuing subplot about his daughter and they would have learned something from her condition and her reaction to use against Khan.

A lot of the script seemed close to my proposed story I was blabbing online pretty much from 2009 on. I kept saying that if the film used Khan, the movie needed to open with Kirk on the run on a planet, in trouble for breaching the Prime Directive, and Section 31 reviving Khan to uncover secrets to use against an empowered Klingon fleet that had reverse engineered Nero's designs while he was being held on Rura Penthe.

My big twist I threw on that in a follow-up post at TrekMovie (and maybe here) was were that I envisioned the movie opening more from Khan's perspective. Start with the Eugenics Wars. Armored assault vehicles. Khan's palace crumbling. Show his escape/exile from his POV. Get a prominent latin actor in the role. We see him go into stasis and follow him as he weakes up, disoriented, to a Starfleet admiral lecturing him, referring to him as an historical figure. The admiral explains that humanity has made contact with aliens and that Khan's DNA may be key to Earth's security and future.

Khan seizes on the opportunity, delivers a big monologue about how he's glad to see humans have come around to his way of thinking, how he will lead armies on a trail of bloody conquest across the stars.

And then the admiral says, "Maybe that cryo chamber did something to your hearing. I didn't say you were an important part of the future. I said your DNA was."

And the admiral shoots Khan in the back.

"Number one: prepare a dissection chamber."

"Sir... He's not dead yet."

"Well, that will just make the process more fun."

"Sir...?"

"We may live in an enlightened age but one of the perks of classified security work. is that men like me can do the work we love in peace. No one to judge. No one alive at least. Yes, Khan, I think your contributions will prove very important indeed... Maybe I'll have your remains bronzed as a trophy. Ha!"

"What is it sir?"

"Khan fancied himself a conqueror, relied on his legend to instill fear. There's just one problem with being a conqueror."

"Sir...?"

"You have to watch your back."

The admiral signals. Two security guards fire on the first officer.

Security guard: "It's like you said. He was wearing a subspace wire, sir. Must have been working with the Federation war crimes council."

Admiral: "It figures. He always seemed extra keen on regulations. I really don't care for regulations."

And then you cut to Kirk on the planet.

So the trick is that you're open about Khan being in the film. You use his speech in the trailer. You call the movie "Blood of Khan." What you don't tell people is that he dies six minutes in and the main plot of the film is about a bioweapon made from his DNA after Section 31 dissected him.
Career Officer
# 25
03-29-2014, 01:02 AM
Also a neat bit by focusing more on the admiral as the villain is that you could respin the plot a bit.

Kirk breaches the PD. Pike busts Kirk's chops for it. The admiral overrides Pike and forgives Kirk, becoming a mentor to him, encouraging Kirk to ignore inconvenient rules. The plot becomes that Kirk seems to have a new mentor.

In the end, of course, Kirk was working with Pike to bust the crooked admiral. But you play with the idea that the evil admiral and Kirk are kindred spirits as rule breakers.
Captain
# 26
03-29-2014, 03:57 AM
He was killed by Marcus before the films events, another augment was opened and told he was Khan.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cryptic! Need some FREE KDF uniform options that you wont have to make? See Here.

JJ. Trek is just as canon and awesome as all other Trek, Get over it.
Career Officer
# 27
03-29-2014, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoleviathan99 View Post
Also a neat bit by focusing more on the admiral as the villain is that you could respin the plot a bit.

Kirk breaches the PD. Pike busts Kirk's chops for it. The admiral overrides Pike and forgives Kirk, becoming a mentor to him, encouraging Kirk to ignore inconvenient rules. The plot becomes that Kirk seems to have a new mentor.

In the end, of course, Kirk was working with Pike to bust the crooked admiral. But you play with the idea that the evil admiral and Kirk are kindred spirits as rule breakers.
With your talent in confusing the crap out of me, have you ever thought of a career with PW in answering Cryptic Bug tickets?
Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currently unsupervised, anyone who knows me will tell you that this will most likely lead to trouble. =3
Cryptic, I'll take your fancy T6 Ships and blow them out of the star's with my mighty T5 Vor'Cha!
Career Officer
# 28
03-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Quote:
-Snip-
See, to fix Into Darkness, I don't even think you need to go that far. John Harrison could just have easily been the occupant one of the other 72 cryotubes aboard the Botany Bay. You'd only have to namedrop the ship and most trek fans would get the reference that they nearly woke up Khan.

With the exception of Spock's KHAAAN scene, and Prime Spock's cameo, the rest of the film doesn't even need to be changed.
Iconian? A label created by the Dewans to give voice to their destruction.
In the end, what they chose to call us is irrelevant.
We simply... are.

Captain
# 29
03-29-2014, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdragon View Post
Oh, I dunno...........let's see.

1. Has JJ's script dropped on him. That'll kill anything. Even a being with magic blood..........

2. Dying of old age in his cell while waiting for a ticket response from Cryptic about his Galaxy having a missing window.

3. Watching his own performance. ( well, I had to suffer it, so he can too )

4. Ricardo Montalbán ( The original KHAAAAAAAN ) walks on set and says " "From Hell's heart, I stab at thee... For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee..." shoots him with a phaser. Then returns to Fantasy Island for Targ wrestling and fruity drinks with lemon.
Lol. 1,2 and 4 are quiet good ideas.
But 3? I mean I hate Jar Jar movies, but I think this performance in particular was quiet good. Probably better then all the other performances from those 2 movies together...

Quote:
I think the whole thing could have flowed better if they hadn't focused on making Khan and Carol Marcus into mystery box reveals. J.J. has even said he now has mixed feelings on that because it doesn't hold up as a surprise on re-watches.
What surprise? The Khan thing couldn't have been more obvious.
Support more story content in STO
Captain
# 30
03-29-2014, 11:40 AM
Guys, I still think that this should have happened:http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_...?v=n2ZpsbGr7s8

GORNZILLA