Career Officer
# 1 F'N Earthquakes!
03-28-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm in SOCAL and we just had 2 earthquakes in about an hour. The second one wasn't an aftershock -- it was bigger than the first and had its own distinct aftershocks. Neither were particularly large, but the pattern got me wondering.

Is "The Big One" actually gonna happen?

The biggest earthquake I remember was Northridge. I was in bed on the top bunk and it was literally bouncing up and down. I remember hitting my head on the celling and having bits of stucco in my hair when the shaking stopped. Since then earthquakes of all sizes have freaked me out.

Thoughts?
>{Andoria}<->{Vulcan}<->{Risa}<->{Defera}<->{Starfleet Academy}<->{Holodecks/Holosuites}<->{Star Clusters}<->{Exploration, Part I NEW!}<->{Other Risa}<->{faiL}<
Captain
# 2
03-28-2014, 10:28 PM
Holy crap! Are you all okay over there?
You haven't heard "Jukebox Hero" until you've heard it in the original Klingon.

Captain Elijah Barnabas Lowe, U.S.S. Sierra.
Career Officer
# 3
03-28-2014, 10:31 PM
Yeah, there wasn't any damage. But I looked it up online and it turns out there were actually 3 of them. The bigger one was actually 2 almost simultaneously---

and ANOTHER one literally while I'm typing this!!

****!
>{Andoria}<->{Vulcan}<->{Risa}<->{Defera}<->{Starfleet Academy}<->{Holodecks/Holosuites}<->{Star Clusters}<->{Exploration, Part I NEW!}<->{Other Risa}<->{faiL}<
Captain
# 4
03-28-2014, 10:35 PM
Wowzers. Where exactly is Socal?
Career Officer
# 5
03-28-2014, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Wowzers. Where exactly is Socal?
Southern California, USA. On the far left side of the map, literally.

News on it isn't bad, but it's weird to have them back to back like this. Usually (in my memory) the large one is followed either by aftershocks or smaller earthquakes (separately). It's...different.
Captain
# 6
03-28-2014, 10:40 PM
Good Gir, what is going on over there? 4 Quakes in a single day?
You haven't heard "Jukebox Hero" until you've heard it in the original Klingon.

Captain Elijah Barnabas Lowe, U.S.S. Sierra.
Captain
# 7
03-28-2014, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqhegh View Post
Southern California, USA. On the far left side of the map, literally.

News on it isn't bad, but it's weird to have them back to back like this. Usually (in my memory) the large one is followed either by aftershocks or smaller earthquakes (separately). It's...different.
Yeah I've heard that big earthquakes can be accompanied by smaller ones. Let's hope today isn't the day California pulls a 2012 (breaking off at the San Andreas Fault and sinking into the ocean).
Career Officer
# 8
03-28-2014, 10:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqhegh View Post
Thoughts?

meh.

(lifetime resident of greater LA area)

[Edit] Apparently the biggest one was a 5.1-3 in Brea, north OC. Five point anything is dangerous in China or Turkey or places without rebar, but around here we get those once every couple of months or so on average and they're barely worth commenting on. At most they knock a few things off of your shelves or crack some plaster if you're near enough to the epicenter.
"Everybody Chill Out!"

"I'mma cold-blooded killer... Ha ha! get it?"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics

Last edited by sander233; 03-28-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 9
03-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Hope everyone stays safe!
King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...1#post13990891
Career Officer
# 10
03-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Yeah I've heard that big earthquakes can be accompanied by smaller ones. Let's hope today isn't the day California pulls a 2012 (breaking off at the San Andreas Fault and sinking into the ocean).
Well, they've been warning us about that for--

number 5. Micro tiny, but still happening.

-- years now. Has yet to happen. "The Ring of Fire?" Really? I don't see any ring of fire around.

As someone else posted...meh. For now.

EDIT: ...and 6. And 7, 8, 9 in a row? Almost all under 3 points? This is getting annoying. I mean, if the planet was trying to send us a message, It would hit harder all at once, not all spread out and stuff. *shakes fist at planet Earth*

Last edited by daqhegh; 03-28-2014 at 11:07 PM.