Captain
# 11
03-28-2014, 10:50 PM
It is possible that part of California would separate from the mainland and form an island similar to Vancouver Island. Of course, this type of action would require at least thousands of years.
Career Officer
# 12
03-28-2014, 11:11 PM
Up to 10 now. Tapering down. Weird how there wasn't a single 6 or 7....so much for 2012.
>{Andoria}<->{Vulcan}<->{Risa}<->{Defera}<->{Starfleet Academy}<->{Holodecks/Holosuites}<->{Star Clusters}<->{Exploration, Part I NEW!}<->{Other Risa}<->{faiL}<
Career Officer
# 13
03-28-2014, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
Yeah I've heard that big earthquakes can be accompanied by smaller ones. Let's hope today isn't the day California pulls a 2012 (breaking off at the San Andreas Fault and sinking into the ocean).
Wishful thinking from Roland Emmerich (who really has it in for Los Angeles, apparently) Lex Luthor and anyone else who bought property in the Mojave Desert. It's physically impossible for everything west of the San Andreas to break off and sink.

As starkaos said, that portion of California is sliding northwest and will eventually form an island, but its movint at a rate of about 1cm a year. At that rate it'll take about 100 million years for Los Angeles to draw parallel with the remains of San Francisco.

The San Andreas is about 70+ miles / 120+km away from tonights activity, btw.
"Everybody Chill Out!"

"I'mma cold-blooded killer... Ha ha! get it?"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Captain
# 14
03-28-2014, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander233 View Post
Wishful thinking from Roland Emmerich (who really has it in for Los Angeles, apparently) Lex Luthor and anyone else who bought property in the Mojave Desert. It's physically impossible for everything west of the San Andreas to break off and sink.

As starkaos said, that portion of California is sliding northwest and will eventually form an island, but its movint at a rate of about 1cm a year. At that rate it'll take about 100 million years for Los Angeles to draw parallel with the remains of San Francisco.

The San Andreas is about 70+ miles / 120+km away from tonights activity, btw.
I know it won't break off, but at least it was cool to look at (the rest of the movie sucked).
Career Officer
# 15
03-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Quote:
I know it won't break off, but at least it was cool to look at (the rest of the movie sucked).
Well, yeah, that's Roland Emmerich for you. His movies are always total crap, but nobody lays waste to Los Angeles better.
"Everybody Chill Out!"

"I'mma cold-blooded killer... Ha ha! get it?"

The Masterverse Timeline / Ten Forward Fanfics
Survivor of Romulus
# 16
03-29-2014, 12:24 AM
Quote:
Yeah I've heard that big earthquakes can be accompanied by smaller ones. Let's hope today isn't the day California pulls a 2012 (breaking off at the San Andreas Fault and sinking into the ocean).
Plate tectonics do not work that way. GOOD NIGHT.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?u=91851766000&type=sigpic&dateline=13403  39147
Career Officer
# 17
03-29-2014, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daqhegh View Post
I'm in SOCAL and we just had 2 earthquakes in about an hour. The second one wasn't an aftershock -- it was bigger than the first and had its own distinct aftershocks. Neither were particularly large, but the pattern got me wondering.

Is "The Big One" actually gonna happen?

The biggest earthquake I remember was Northridge. I was in bed on the top bunk and it was literally bouncing up and down. I remember hitting my head on the celling and having bits of stucco in my hair when the shaking stopped. Since then earthquakes of all sizes have freaked me out.

Thoughts?
Over here in South Australia, I once saw the ground ripple like water in a pond and even create wave's. Ones that can be felt are extremely rare here, but mostly just micro quakes. Happen everyday, but only sensed with equipment.

One mild one scared the life out of my parrot. He was being naughty at the time and wouldn't listen to me, so I guess nature was fed up with his naughtiness too.

LTS Join Date : September 2010. Boldly going forward because Cryptic forgot reverse.
I am currenty unsupervised, anyone who knows me will inform you that his will mostly lead to trouble.=3
Dragons go RAWR!
Captain
# 18
03-29-2014, 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadowdark View Post
Good Gir, what is going on over there? 4 Quakes in a single day?
Actually, there's thousands of earthquakes all over the world every day. It's just most of them are too small to notice.

For a tectonically active area like southern California? I'm reminded of that scene in Independence Day where the flying saucer is causing ground tremors (I'm assuming from its antigrav) and Will Smith's girlfriend goes, "Not even a four. Go back to sleep."
Capt. Kanril Eleya, U.S.S. Andraste, Strike Team Alpha

Useful Links for Foundry Writers | "Bait and Switch" -- Fed Foundry project, Part 1 rewards-qualified!
Say no to Arc! STO standalone installer
Lt. Commander
# 19
03-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
Actually, there's thousands of earthquakes all over the world every day. It's just most of them are too small to notice.

For a tectonically active area like southern California? I'm reminded of that scene in Independence Day where the flying saucer is causing ground tremors (I'm assuming from its antigrav) and Will Smith's girlfriend goes, "Not even a four. Go back to sleep."
Had another one again, didn't even feel it.

So yeah, pretty much an accurate depiction of earthquakes, although the scientists are monitoring these and wondering if these are leadups to "The Big One" that we're supposed to get.
STO in a shellnut.
"I always hope for the best. Experience, unfortunately, has taught me to expect the worst."
-Elim Garak
Captain
# 20
03-29-2014, 05:10 PM
A Quake? A Quake!
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.