Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Lt. Commander
I have to play places like Pico on half resolution or I get frames in single digits, as opposed to 20 or 25 being normal for me. As soon as I enable half resolution the frames goes from 8 or 9 (Sometimes 5!) to more than 30 FPS.

Who else is getting this? Just curious.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 11:55 PM
i got this to, i was lucky i noticed the half resolution option or i would never be able to do some missions, i also get low fsp when i have lots of ui windows open because of all the transparency and glowing effects.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 05:44 AM
i got this 1 too, even with a highend computer, i had to customize on the graphic to make it run a lille more stable at thouse astroid belts, however i think its the way it generate objects that may be the problem, and not the hardware of a computer.. maby it unoack and generate astroids live, or gets alot of info from the server, and makes hardtype lag.. well i dont know.. but it sure is anoying
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I've noticed this issue as well. My system isn't exactly low end; I have a Phenom II X4 965, 4gb of DDR3-1600 and a pair of Radeon HD 5770s. Most of the time in space my framerate is over 100, and yet, I dip down into the 20s and 30s in some of these systems with asteroid belts, a problem I don't recall having in closed beta (and don't think I had in OB either, but I'm not entirely sure there).

If this game was just absolutely insanely intensive, such that Crossfired 5770s couldn't run it with maxed settings at 60fps, I'd be surprised, but at least I'd accept that. That said, the range of framerates in this game is really not acceptable, because it creates a situation where the game literally has multiple sets of system requirements. I can either run with all the eye candy turned on at over 100fps 75% of the time, and live with the annoyance 25% of the time, or turn down settings, have the game look less nice, and then have wasted GPU power 75% of the time; obviously I picked the former.

Still, while I'm not one to complain about system requirements, even when a game won't run on a higher end system (which is a bit silly, especially for an MMO), I'd at least like my systems' capability to run this game to be consistent. I can plow through obscene amounts of high-action ground content or huge fleet actions and never see a hickup, but then spend my entire time in an asteroid-filled system with nothing going on, and have it slow down my brand new, thousand-dollar system to a relative crawl. I'm sorry, but that's a bit silly :p

Cryptic's not doing bad in this game on the technical side (I've seen worse), but this is one of the many issues that they should see to in the coming weeks and months.

Edit: after playing around, it seems like the issue is that anti-aliasing causes a bigger hit than normal in these zones, which shouldn't be a huge surprise given the amount of geometry to smooth out. Turn down AA to 4x has more or less fixed the issue, if at the expense of a small amount of all-around image quality (though it only matters so much at 1920x1200)
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-09-2010, 12:25 AM
i managed to fix my problems now by installing the latest drivers for my graphics card and the latest release of the DirectX Runtime, now i can use all the fancy graphics options

DirectX End-User Runtimes (February 2010)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-5ab8109cb4f5
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Installing the latest version of DirectX does tend to fix a lot of issues, and yet, there is still the issue that certain maps do not seem to play nicely with high levels of AA enabled, which is what seems to be being described here, or in the case of machines with lower-end GPU setups, maps that just don't render smoothly, period. I think there are just maps where there is too much geometry (especially with higher view distances) for this game to render reasonably, no matter what GPU setup you have (unless you're running with dual Radeon HD 5870s). The Solar Wind PvP map is a good example. That map brought my two 5770s to their knees with 8x AA enabled. Of course, if there's some other setting that's the underlying cause of these performance issues, then I hope I find it and adjust it, but for the moment, the solution just seems to be turning down the AA levels in-game for me, though some might have to take more drastic measures such as enabling half-resolution like the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I am steering clear of Dx10 for a while, as it seemed to be having problems with some games last I checked. As for drivers, I swear I just updated in December-ish. I'm warry of driver updates, since some games (Notably Runes of Magic) were reported to break entirely on a higher version.

I'm not running anything really current, just a Nvidea 7900 GS. Crap by today's standards. Half reso and default settings (Terrain distance at 25%) seems to do it for me in places like this. I really need a new PC.

I wish I can get more than 25FPS typically, but that seems the best my system can put out without graphics going to total crap. I don't wanna sacrifice too much visuals. Somehow it's anticlimatic if a blob shooting orange juice makes another blob shooting celery juice explode, you know?

I'm surprised the thread is only a week old of replies. I wonder if anything has improved since last Friday (Can't play until overheating PSU is replaced) or if a dev cares enough to comment on the lower than usual FPS in asteroid systems (Or places with lots of floating stuff to render). Particularly what they plan to do about it?
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Well the only real solution for people with normal FPS around 25 or so, is to have less asteroids. In high asteroid areas the number of polygons is crushing some people's computers. My only other solution is to set your world distance lower so less asteroids are being rendered.