Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
03-29-2014, 06:23 PM
IMO Darmok and the two Best of Both Worlds episodes are some of the best Trek across the franchise.

Just me 2c.

SUPPORT THE FOUNDRY, YOUR GATEWAY TO NEW REGULAR CONTENT.
Captain
# 12
03-29-2014, 06:25 PM
I really like those charts. Do they exist for other series?

I'm glad that "Shades of Gray" and "Sub Rosa" are the stinkers and "Best of Both Worlds" and "Inner Light" are rated best. I didn't realize that "Code of Honor" was so hated.
Captain
# 13
03-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Well Darmok is certainly not among my favorite episode.

I always considered that "speaking in metaphor" concept.. unlogical. How should metaphors exist in the first place without a language? IMO that cannot work.

But its certainly not a BAD episode.

And honestly, there are a couple of episodes in that "worst 6" list that I liked and I do not think being bad.
"Journeys End" I actually really liked.
Support more story content in STO
Rihannsu
# 14
03-29-2014, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
who cares about what one site thinks, they cause a stink to get themselves noticed rather then voting honestly on the tng episode. the issue of language barrier hasnt really been explored in depth within trek, tng and enterprise managed it, but not to the point that it could creating an "incident".

"Shaka, when the walls fell!"
there was also a DS9 episode.

But yeah, I also found the metaphor thing to be an impossibility. How can children learn the stories the metaphors are based on if the adults only speak in metaphor?
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Captain
# 15
03-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Well, it would appear that there's more to their language we haven't seen. We had only one episode surrounding it, after all.
Rihannsu
# 16
03-29-2014, 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kojirohellfire View Post
Well, it would appear that there's more to their language we haven't seen. We had only one episode surrounding it, after all.
This is true. But it boggles the mind how their society is able to function at all.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Survivor of Romulus
# 17
03-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post

I'm glad that "Shades of Gray" and "Sub Rosa" are the stinkers and "Best of Both Worlds" and "Inner Light" are rated best. I didn't realize that "Code of Honor" was so hated.
Code of Honor--that racist episode with the space Africans?

Jonathan Frakes HATES that one, and for good reason; it was just plain BAD. Racist, sexist, nonsensically written, the fight scene was awful and ridiculous, Yar was so poorly written that I think that was the clincher that made Denise Crosby quit, and the entire mess was clearly Gene Roddenberry not having anyone to say "No, boss, that's stupid".

Just like the Star Wars prequel trilogy, really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
This is true. But it boggles the mind how their society is able to function at all.
It was one of TNG's more allegoric episodes, like the TOS one with the two piebald guys who hated each other because they differed in which side of their bodies was black and which was white.

Kind of blatant mocking of racism there, not really meant to help form a story-arc-based sci-fi franchise.
Founder and Grand Vizier of the Sovereign Ba'al joke. Hail Ba'al! Our theme song
My official eternal issue: Why no muscle definition slider? Let's have some equal-opportunity sexiness, Cryptic!
PWE: NO to mandatory ARC! At least make it optional!
Rihannsu
# 18
03-29-2014, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by worffan101 View Post
It was one of TNG's more allegoric episodes, like the TOS one with the two piebald guys who hated each other because they differed in which side of their bodies was black and which was white.

Kind of blatant mocking of racism there, not really meant to help form a story-arc-based sci-fi franchise.
Well, duh... that part is obvious. And the ep with the Cheron(Let that be your last battlefield) also had a flawed premise... The morality play aspect of both episodes was nice, but the rest of those eps felt very forced. HOW LONG were Bele and Lokai away from their planet? (50 millennia.... yes... millennia!) O_O' Um yeah... It makes the rest of the episode just feel off...

IMO DS9 had a much better excuse for the translation computer to not work. The Skrreean language had "strange syntax" that required the translator to accumulate language samples for hours before it could translate what they said.

Heck, one of the TAS episodes pulled a similar trick. People from the Antimatter Universe talked backwards and it tricked the translation computer into thinking that the messages had already been translated.

ANyways, I don't think the two eps are bad overall, just that they had stupid.... aspects.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
Career Officer
# 19
03-29-2014, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
Darmok is one of the few TNG episodes I have not seen yet.

I shall rectify this shortly.
He will be in front of TV with arms apart, with eyes open!

* drops his sandwich while typing *

Oh, great, the walls fell.............
Captain
# 20
03-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirksplat View Post
Yup, check out the guy's site here:
http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/
--------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========--------------
>>>CLICK HERE FOR DELTA RISING GEAR UPGRADE COST TABLE<<<
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>Check out my redesign concept images<<
>Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored<