Lt. Commander
# 11
02-08-2010, 08:13 AM
1 hit kills do not belong in MMO's.

In no circumstance is it "A tacticly good idea" to ram a ship into another ship unless you're mentally unstable.

Anyone who needs abilities like this, plain sucks.

If you can steer your ship into an enemy and make the hit WITHOUT an ability and get the in game explosion damage, then awesome good job, but I cannot think of any time where "ramming speed" would be any kind of a viable option, except maybe if you're the only ship surrounded by 100 enemy ships and there is no hope of being taken prisoner or escaping. even then all you are doing is taking a cowards way out.

Long and short, No Captain would ever use ramming speed, if there was any hope of victory in some other manner, ever.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
My understanding of Ramming Speed in trekdom is it is a suicide tactic, when all you have left is engines and no hope to win and you just hope to take someone with you when you die.

But IMO no way and no how should any ship using ramming speed survive the attack if the ship it hits explodes

Antimatter explosion + being right smack against it = very dead
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-08-2010, 09:21 AM
i like the idea of ramming speed and im sure it's current damage output, conditions for use can be tweaked...but it will continue to be abused as long as there is no penalty for death

add a modest consequence for using the skill, then im sure people wont be so quick to abuse it...just my 2 cents
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I see nothing wrong with this skill and it has a long cool down so I say leave it alone.

If this post is a QQ regarding the skill being used in PVP, you can plainly see when somebody activates the ability, all you need do to avoid the damage is move on out of the way lol.
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Ramming speed is not OP by any means. If you think it is, you should understand how it works first. Damage is based on Attacker's Hull vs Target's Hull. Shields mitigate this damage significantly, so it's really most effective once facing shields are down. The reason Cruisers are most adept with this skill isn't just because they have more HP to recover after the initial impact, but because they can do the most damage with it.

Yes I play a Cruiser, and yes I've rammed my fair share of Klingons in PVP, but out of dozens of rams, I can only ever recall one OHKO with it. Usually it's my torpedo volley and beam overload immediately after that does the trick. Furthermore, pilots in agile ships such as BoPs have no business complaining that a ship with incredibly low turning capacity rammed them to death. It's insulting. I'm not going to pull the "L2P" card here, but if you can't kite a cruiser in a BoP, you are doing something terribly wrong. Too often in PVP I've seen the agile ships just position themselves and fire in place. These players are easy targets for a ram or a strafing run, and they'll receive no sympathy from me.

Players need to learn to adapt to skills, and not ask for skills to adapt to them. Feedback needs to be based more in fact than opinion.

Edit: I might add as a note that attempting to ram a +3 Terran Federation Ship (forget the name offhand, but it's the rough equivalent of a Romulan Scimitar Dreadnought) from full hull on both ends resulted in instant death for me, and a whopping 8% damage to it. The target ship is fairly godlike, but this illustrates that by no means is Ramming Speed OP.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintri View Post
Your Ramming Speed Passive deals 2470298 (2501648) Kinetic Damage to you.

The hit on the target was about 400k less, but the target was overpowered anyways. I somehow doubt brace for impact's going to save you here.

On a side note, this is just about the only way to kill the Crystal Entity after the patch.
I was wondering why I got off 1 photon before the crystal died.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativePhobia
Ramming speed is not OP by any means. If you think it is, you should understand how it works first. Damage is based on Attacker's Hull vs Target's Hull.
Apparently you don't understand, the faster you go, the more damage you do. If you're going at near warp speeds, you end up killing anything and yourself regardless of the target.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrenchFeeder

Long and short, No Captain would ever use ramming speed, if there was any hope of victory in some other manner, ever.
Tell that to Worf and Picard
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-09-2010, 12:43 AM
There is definitely something wrong with this skill. The other day someone was 1 shotting the crystaline entity before anyone could even get a shot off on it! Yeah that made the fleet action very fun, the leader board having 1 person with any damage. >.<
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-09-2010, 05:57 AM
Ramming speed should always kill the user, but does the hull amount of damage to the ship it hits.

Meaning if the target ship has shields up, the one ramming dies failing.