Captain
I'm finding myself in the position of wanting to branch out with new ships and playstyles but the steep cost to respecing skill points seems like the highest in any mmo I've ever played. It's great that even as a tactical captain I can take a Science ship out. But when I need to reinvest heavily into extremely niche abilities like gravition this and flow capacitors that to make those different ships work in a different build, all the high cost respec price succeeds in doing is acting as a deterrent to run or experiment with anything but a cookie cutter build for your chosen profession. I'm not asking for a profession respec, but merely a more accessible way to swap between ship types without blowing 500 zen front and back for the relevant skills.

Diablo 3 has a great system of free respecing whenever you're out of combat that highly encourages innovation and new play styles. But even a 1 million energy credit cost would be fairer than Cryptic's current price. (while also taking out a small chunk of energy credits created every single day now inflating our economy)
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Quote:
"The Galaxy Explorer would be fine if only it could execute it's saucer separation while moving."
-Nobody
Career Officer
# 2
04-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Well, Cryptic have an interest financially in preferring us to create new toons to do the exploration of style you speak of.

Thus, the zen cost offsets the potential loss to them from no need for toon slots etc.

However, given how cryptic seem to have gone out of their way recently to be as alt unfriendly as possible, 500 zen is too high.

200 would be nearer the mark.
Survivor of Romulus
# 3
04-03-2014, 12:29 PM
With the trait changes coming in S9, I really hope they consider doing something similar for skill points. There's simply no room for experimentation with the 500 Zen cost that exists right now.
Want to run canon ship loadouts? Join the Star Trek Battles channel.
Rihannsu
# 4
04-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Diablo 3 is not a F2P game. You do have to purchase it before you can play the game, hence the available respec system.

STO, on the other hand, has had those respec tokens around since its initial release for Captains who burned through their freebie ones gained upon Rank Advancement (this was when the game was P2P). And the only thing that has changed has been the name of the currency used to get the token.

And it saw far more use back then because you really couldn't go with an even build like you can now. You had to decide which energy, projectile, ship type you wanted to fly. Putting a few points in to everything did more harm than good before the F2P skill change. I think Tactical skills saw the largest changes with the new system we have today.

Besides, 500 Zen is a decent price when compared to similar MMO's for respec'ing your character.
Star Trek Battles: For those who want to Play Star Trek Online as it WAS MEANT TO BE!!!

Our Battles
Captain
# 5
04-03-2014, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkster View Post
Well, Cryptic have an interest financially in preferring us to create new toons to do the exploration of style you speak of.

Thus, the zen cost offsets the potential loss to them from no need for toon slots etc.

However, given how cryptic seem to have gone out of their way recently to be as alt unfriendly as possible, 500 zen is too high.

200 would be nearer the mark.

Except for silver players an alt only gets one chance to pick their skill point build before getting charged 500 zen for it too. So not really a whole lot of room for "experimentation". You'd have to be either rich or crazy to slot anything other than a proven and reliable cookie cutter build when trying out a playstyle. Never the less, even if I did make an alt solely for one ship type, Cryptic would hardly be making money on the deal. With the alt running a different build, the respec token no longer needs buying. And all of my zen ships and costumes could be reclaimed for free.

Hell at this point I'd pay 2000 zen just for a dual spec for my main that could be swapped in and out when I swapped ships like when my doffs/boffs and gear get swapped already.
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=94154940000&dateline=  1390007378
Quote:
"The Galaxy Explorer would be fine if only it could execute it's saucer separation while moving."
-Nobody
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-03-2014, 12:47 PM
DC Universe Online has a respec cost of 1,000 dollars (in game money of course) for both traits and powers (which is a lot, as the most a F2P person can have access to at one time is 1,500 dollars). You can acquire money beyond 1,500 dollars, but it goes into escrow and requires a store purchase (with real world money) to get out. As a poor college student, I like this approach. Of course, DCUO sells DLC expansion packs, so maybe that's why they can afford free respecs. I'm in agreement that five bucks is a bit much to try out a new build, especially if that one doesn't work and you then have to respec again. Maybe Cryptic could come up with something like a holodeck that allows you to respec and try out your new build a bit. If I had that option, I wouldn't mind paying five dollars to respec, knowing that it was a good build for me. As it is now, it's a five dollar crap shoot.
Career Officer
# 7
04-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnikku View Post
Except for silver players an alt only gets one chance to pick their skill point build before getting charged 500 zen for it too. So not really a whole lot of room for "experimentation". You'd have to be either rich or crazy to slot anything other than a proven and reliable cookie cutter build when trying out a playstyle. Never the less, even if I did make an alt solely for one ship type, Cryptic would hardly be making money on the deal. With the alt running a different build, the respec token no longer needs buying. And all of my zen ships and costumes could be reclaimed for free.

Hell at this point I'd pay 2000 zen just for a dual spec for my main that could be swapped in and out when I swapped ships like when my doffs/boffs and gear get swapped already.
Complete and utter BS.

Every single silver player can convert Dil to Zen and get a respec (as well as everything else in the store) without ever spending a dime out of their own pockets.
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\Sample Pictures\banner11.jpg
Captain
# 8
04-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopwithsnipe View Post
Complete and utter BS.

Every single silver player can convert Dil to Zen and get a respec (as well as everything else in the store) without ever spending a dime out of their own pockets.
Absolutely correct. It just takes TIME to do it. How long depends on how much you play.
I am of the opinion that Cryptic cannot because PWE will not...
Career Officer
# 9
04-03-2014, 02:18 PM
As a long-time LTSer I've really come to appreciate the free respecs I get, but I've actually reached the point where I've run a couple of characters out of respecs. And that 500 Zen price is lookin' a bit high to me. 200-300 might be more reasonable, or even a bulk discount option (5 for the price of 4?).
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
04-03-2014, 02:39 PM
You can experiment all you want with respecs and it will cost nothing, even for silver players. Just transfer your toon to the Tribble test server before you use your free respec. Go to tribble, respec, see if you like it. If not, delete the toon on tribble, transfer again, respec again, etc.

And as has been said, a little time investment is all it takes to get anything in this game for free. 8 days of max dilithium refining is just about 500 zen, and it doesn't take all that long to get 8K dilithium per day.