Lt. Commander
So, i'm admiral now and i have little to do besides farm up 5th order badges. Lack of content is annoying enough but on top of that the rewards are inconsistent.

For instance, what originally caught my attention is that there are no dual phaser cannons for admiral level nor are there dual heavy phaser cannons yet there are cannons and heavy cannons for other damage types.

There are also no photon torpedos available, only quantum, transphasic and plasma...

Is this intentional cryptic? Is there a vendor i can't find?

I'd like to see this patched if its intentional, as it is exploration mission favor certain captains who spent their skill points only on a limited specialization of weaponry. Likely they spent these points with out even being aware that there would be a lack of gear appropriate to their specialization.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 11:52 PM
Not sure I have a lot of compassion for someone who is bored at having reached Admiral rank in so short a time, but as a more general concern, I do find that very rarely am I offered Phaser-based weapons as mission rewards or from drops. It really sucks if you want to play a "canon" Federation-style ship with phasers and NPCs keep pushing disruptors and plasma beams, tetryon turrets and what-not that are higher levels (i.e. Mark) and rarer (green or blue) on you.

Just today, I broke down and just frigging mounted the higher level plasma banks, and the tetryon turret, and the plasma mines, etc, etc, and said "#$%! it".

Considering that it seems that the only ways to get higher level and rarer phaser-based weapons are via crafting which I loathe or exploration which seems like a lot of work for some stinking badges, I am not sure how a player participating mostly in the storyline missions will ever be presented any phaser-based weapons as rewards at all, which seems kind of crappy to me.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepton View Post
Not sure I have a lot of compassion for someone who is bored at having reached Admiral rank in so short a time, but as a more general concern, I do find that very rarely am I offered Phaser-based weapons as mission rewards or from drops. It really sucks if you want to play a "canon" Federation-style ship with phasers and NPCs keep pushing disruptors and plasma beams, tetryon turrets and what-not that are higher levels (i.e. Mark) and rarer (green or blue) on you.

Just today, I broke down and just frigging mounted the higher level plasma banks, and the tetryon turret, and the plasma mines, etc, etc, and said "#$%! it".

Considering that it seems that the only ways to get higher level and rarer phaser-based weapons are via crafting which I loathe or exploration which seems like a lot of work for some stinking badges, I am not sure how a player participating mostly in the storyline missions will ever be presented any phaser-based weapons as rewards at all, which seems kind of crappy to me.
I'm not *****ing about being admiral... in fact i just looked at the other vendor and this issue is the same across all levels of play. The exploration rewards are oddly inconsistent.

Oh... and hitting admiral was EASY.... leveling was a joke. Its no big thing to be admiral already.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Hmm, considering I have been playing since the first day of the headstart and I am only just about to reach Captain, I'd say that leveling is certainly not hard but seeking out to reach Admiral in such a short time is kind of stupid.

I am enjoying the content. Did you? Did you even read any of the mission text?

Be that as it may, if you had bothered to read my post, you'd see that 90% of it addresses many of the concerns that you expressed. You noted a lack of phaser weapons. I supported that observation.

You are the one that chose to focus on the Admiral stuff, not me.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Hmm, considering I have been playing since the first day of the headstart and I am only just about to reach Captain, I'd say that leveling is certainly not hard but seeking out to reach Admiral in such a short time is kind of stupid.

Be that as it may, if you had bothered to read my post, you'd see that 90% of it addresses many of the concerns that you expressed. You noted a lack of phaser weapons. I supported that observation.

You did support my post yes only after insulting me...

call me stupid all you want... i enjoyed what little content is in the game. I'm looking forward to more.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 12:27 AM
My question is... why do you want to use Phasers instead of Tetryon or Polaron? Same with Photon... Those are the basic weapons, why not move up into better weapon teirs which is what cryptic is trying to point at with the rewards...
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 12:34 AM
becuase those later weapons are NOT better...simply different. I quite like the sub system disable effect on phasers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 02:14 AM
as some one complaining about something cryptic could actually fix it'd be nice to hear from a dev on this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by k4el
So, i'm admiral now and i have little to do besides farm up 5th order badges. Lack of content is annoying enough but on top of that the rewards are inconsistent.

For instance, what originally caught my attention is that there are no dual phaser cannons for admiral level nor are there dual heavy phaser cannons yet there are cannons and heavy cannons for other damage types.

There are also no photon torpedos available, only quantum, transphasic and plasma...

Is this intentional cryptic? Is there a vendor i can't find?

I'd like to see this patched if its intentional, as it is exploration mission favor certain captains who spent their skill points only on a limited specialization of weaponry. Likely they spent these points with out even being aware that there would be a lack of gear appropriate to their specialization.
Okay, sidestepping the envy, insult and bickering, the OP has presented an issue that needs addressing. If your trying to build a specific type of character, you have to make choices with points, and not cheap choices. Those choices directly involve phasers vrs other types of specialization. I had just trusted that the phaser arrays and dual phaser arrays I have been mounting on my cruiser would be available all the way through the progression : I've already put points into phaser skills and specific weapon skills with the ambition of being a phaser array heavy cruiser driver and nothing else. This needs to be addressed.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 02:21 AM
Quote:

There are plenty admiral already, myself included and it really is EASY. You can enjoy all the content you want on the way there and still make it there with under 50 hours played. I did EVERY single episodic mission given, did not repeat sector secures unless I ran out of primary missions (which you will after 30). I certainly read every mission but I also read what the actual objective are so I wouldn't have to spend an extra 30 mins on each killing useless stuff which slows you down considerably.

There are people who level fast because they understand how to level efficiently with or without "enjoying" the content on the way. Basic understanding of game mechanics works wonders. (If you're captain and played as much as you claim then you either decided to kill every red dot on the map or went back to starbase every 30 mins, maybe took the most inefficient mission paths possible just because the log listed them in that order and double backed between sectors and planets. Maybe all of the above.)

Just because someone leveled faster than you doesn't mean they didn't do what was fun for them, different strokes for different folks.