Lt. Commander
# 31
02-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Waiting for a reply makes me a sad panda.
Lt. Commander
# 32
02-11-2010, 02:47 AM
At least the new patch should fix the aceton field bug, making more of the engineering BOs useful. It is a pity though that this issue here hasn't been adressed yet.
Lt. Commander
# 33
02-11-2010, 04:16 AM
100% agreed with the OP. If you invest all 9 skill points in an ability you should be able to train your BO's in it.
Lt. Commander
# 34
02-11-2010, 04:33 AM
Even more annoyed now.
I got (or i was supposed to get) a Rare Bridge Officer with Attack Pattern Omega III for getting Captain 2.
Then when i went to assignments tab it changed to Dispersal Pattern Beta III.

Lt. Commander
# 35
02-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0850
I just cant say WHY its that in it ?
It makes absolutely no Sense.

Everyone who invests skillspoints to get an III should be able to use it. Its already restricted
with Level of BO Consoles.

So why torture player with that limit ?

If you are going to use the same captain and ship type, you got over 36 of the same type at the end
and you dont need to train any III skills because the player ones raise too.

On the other Hand, if you mix captain and ship type its very bad for you, no level III skill for the different BOs from you Class and only one III spell from same class, BUT you must chose the admiral ship with more Consoles from your char archetyp.

To be honest thats a total failure.

So just remove the restriction to train different BO classes than yours.
I dont think the restriction needs to be removed, but I think they should allow you to train a skill on a bridge officer then trade the officer you trained, maybe make it so that you cannot trade a bridge officer after putting skill points into them to keep people from just buying officers instead of training them. This would allow people to setup their crew the way they want and would facilitate some more community interaction in game.

EDIT: a few more details on the idea

To keep things from being exploited It should probably cost some resource to train a bridge officer in a level iii skill, probably BO skill points, so that it does not become so easy and cheap that eveyone has all bridge officers with level iii skills right off the bat.
Lt. Commander
# 36
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robcoe View Post
I dont think the restriction needs to be removed, but I think they should allow you to train a skill on a bridge officer then trade the officer you trained, maybe make it so that you cannot trade a bridge officer after putting skill points into them to keep people from just buying officers instead of training them. This would allow people to setup their crew the way they want and would facilitate some more community interaction in game.
If you make them sellable after beeing trained it results in everyone can have every ability.
This would have an too big impact.

I would prefer that players can train the skill they invested 9 points, you invest 9 you can learn it ...
Lt. Commander
# 37
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0850
If you make them sellable after beeing trained it results in everyone can have every ability.
This would have an too big impact.

I would prefer that players can train the skill they invested 9 points, you invest 9 you can learn it ...
that thought occurred to me as well. As you were typing i edited my first post with an idea that could help with that.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
^^
At the moment, everyone can buy a rare recruit and they got usally a T4 level 3 ability.
Short spoken T4 can be choosen without spending skillpoints.

So we can say, we speak about T3 abilities (since T1 - I could be the earliest use of an ability).

I think theres absolutely no sense an need into trading trained BOs.

If you like a spell you invest 9 points to max it and to unlock the III version.
And this should work regardless your character class.

@robcoe:
Its one step after another.
In this thread we speak about training our unlocked III abilities
and not about the trading of them.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
Its rather annoying the way it is. I skilled up the Torpedo Level and wanted to train it to my Bridge Officer ... i couldnt.
I even wrote a bug report about the train button not working.
It doesnt say anywhere that you cant.
Actually, it does. The first time you speak with the admiral, you're given a mission to speak to Commander Bolt about skills and bridge officers. Part of Commander Bolt's dialogue specifically says "You will only be able to train Bridge Officers who share your career path. A Captain who is a scientist cannot train his or her tactical officer how to fire a torpedo spread."

That said, all through the beta period I kept reading that there would be alternative, although more difficult, ways to train bridge officers for captains who didn't pair their career and ship. It's pretty frustrating to see that this is turning out not to be the case. Is there a developer post that actually states this or was it just a rumor floating around?
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-12-2010, 03:37 PM
Question: When you unlock a rank III skill, which tier of the BO's skill does that go into?

And when you unlock it, how do you train a BO with it?