This isn't a flame, just my opinion,i I dislike the DS9 mission where you go to earth spacedock and buy 160 provisions, then 10 entertainment provisions, then go back to ds9, only to find out you now have to go ALL THE WAY back to to sol, and buy another 60 of some other thing to buy 15 self sealing stem bolts, the cost is around 20k, and then when you get back expecting somthing awesome for all your trouble, you get...155 skill points...
it's not that the mission is hard... it's that its not fun... and the reward is horribad. any chance we could
A: make the mission fun
B: make the reward worthwhile.. like maybe.. not spend 20k for 155 skill points.
On a side note, how about a mass buy button, like buy 20 at a time or something, clicking buy/confirm buy 160 times was really... annoying, though i did finally figure out you could hold control and just click 160 times... still 160 clicks....
Not that it makes the quest any better, but here are a few tips for anyone else doing this quest.
1. If you hold Ctrl down when you click an item to buy, you won't get the "confirm" purchase button (so that's one less click per item.)
2. You don't need to go all the way back to Sol, just find a wandering trader, they sell these as well.
3. You'll need 160 provisions to buy your Entertainment Provisions. You can buy the Provisions with credits, but have to trade the regular provisions for the Entertainment provisions. After that you'll need 60 Industrial Energy Cells (buy with credits) and trade those either with the same wandering trader, or the commodities vendor on DS9 for 15 Self Sealing Stem Bolts.
4. The final turn in for this quest is back to the captain in Ops. There is only one turbolift on the station that goes up to ops. The quest doesn't tell you to go back to him, there's merely an icon on your DS9 map at the Ops turbolift (I only mention this as it took me 10 minutes to convice some guy that was how he finished the quest.. he just couldn't get it through his head.. hehe.)
5. And finally, there is no need to do this quest all at once. Go out and do a few missions, pick up the items from a trader while out. You'll have several missions in the area to return to DS9, so do your turn ins whenever you swing back by the station and pick up the next part of the quest.
One last comment.. while the quest isn't really fun, I believe the devs were giving a tip of their hats to an episode of DS9, in which Jake and Nog had to do something similar in order to get a part O'brien needed to fix something on the station. Just be happy the quest isn't as long as it was on the show, or there would be about 5-6 more steps involved.
Thanks for the reply brynthe, I've forgotten that episode. nice..
I guess I would be happy with a "mass buy" button, i think it was the clicking 160 times, then 10 times, then 60 times, then 15 times.
that, and the wondering trader that i found wouldn't stop, so i kept losing him and having to catch up and go again..
but that holding ctrl tip was excellent when i figured it out.
I think if they had the replicator like in beta where you could buy the items from there it would fix my complaint. I dun mind doing stuff that isn't fun for a few mins, but this quest took me about 40 mins. So i guess I got frustrated.
One last comment.. while the quest isn't really fun, I believe the devs were giving a tip of their hats to an episode of DS9, in which Jake and Nog had to do something similar in order to get a part O'brien needed to fix something on the station.
I agree. It's either a hommage to In the Cards, or Treachery, Faith and the Great River, although the latter seems more likely.
I definitely agree on your point. I'd be happy with a slider to buy multiple items from vendors.. at least any stackable items should be able to be purchased like that.
Its funny, I hear the comment about the need to buy multiple items alot when people are discussing this quest.. hehe.. I guess it really doesn't come up as an issue that often before getting to that point.
the mass buy ability needs to be added in general to help the money sink anyway. And away team consumables should be increased in stack size beyond 5. Right now the npc bo's consume them so fast and its not easy to buy alot of the stuff to make it viable to really use. Being able to throw stacks of 25-50 on an npc and buy in lots would facilitate much more usage/burn of energy credits.