Lt. Commander
Sorry for generating additional trash but maybe I can talk some sense into at least some people.

The scheduled maintenance timeframe has nothing to do with where the game is based or which region brings the most customers. These are the 2 least busy hours on the global scale at least for mainly US+EU, it's an educated guess from me because I also work at a company that provides online entertainment primarily targeted at US or EU

So here are the facts you need to consider when judging Cryptic's decision about scheduled downtime timeframes:

- Like every MMO, the game needs scheduled maintenance to do stuff they are not able to while the servers are online. They are trying to minimize the downtime but there has to be some.
- There was a fundamental design decision to use the "one realm" model for this game, it is not going to change, we won't get regional realms like in other games where the other approach was taken.
- They want to schedule the downtime to affect the least amount of players, based on statistics it happens to be around these hours.
- Rotating the schedule means a pain both for the maintenance team and the players as it will affect more players if it happens at a different part of the day, again, purely statistics.
- The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If you work night shifts, are unemployed or just have nothing to do all day then you have to accept that you're part of the minority. It is quite logical to screw with the fewest amount of people if need be.
- 2 hours aren't the end of the world. If it really means your only timeframe you can play you may need to schedule things a bit differently, but if really this is the case you're a part of a very insignificant minority and I'm sorry for you but considering the above facts, it's still the most optimal way to arrange things.

So please, try to take a look at the big picture and think again: are you really that important to make Cryptic plan around your schedule screwing with more players instead, rather than vice versa?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kisdead View Post
Sorry for generating additional trash but maybe I can talk some sense into at least some people.

The scheduled maintenance timeframe has nothing to do with where the game is based or which region brings the most customers. These are the 2 least busy hours on the global scale at least for mainly US+EU, it's an educated guess from me because I also work at a company that provides online entertainment primarily targeted at US or EU
And where do you get this information ?
Before they had their downtime at the current timeslot they had it at 2 a.m. pacific time. There it only affected a few westcoast late night players and the australian noon. I bet there are a far less people playing at that timeslot but they changed it because the west coast late night players whined.
Now they have put the downtime at a slot affecting more people but none of them american.
Think of that what you want...
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yriel
And where do you get this information ?
Before they had their downtime at the current timeslot they had it at 2 a.m. pacific time. There it only affected a few westcoast late night players and the australian noon. I bet there are a far less people playing at that timeslot but they changed it because the west coast late night players whined.
Now they have put the downtime at a slot affecting more people but none of them american.
Think of that what you want...
Between 3am and 5am PST IS the least busy period when the great majority of your customers are from EU or US. Read my post again to find out where my information comes from. Also I don't really get it why 2am should be better than 3am PST, it's only 1 hour difference, but it's not noon time in AU, it's around noon in most of EU and 7-9pm in Oceania, which is FAR worse than the noon time EU players are whining about.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 05:08 AM
you must have a very junior position the online entertainments industry, you seem to forget that this 'maintenance' is during prime time european playing hours, i.e. the weekend. If the maintenance was at 11am - 1pm during the week when people are at work I don't think you would see much complaining at all.

It is common sense really somthing that is truly lacking in a lot of people these days!

Best time ihas got to be 11pm-1am pst (7am - 9am GMT) to affect the least amount of U.S. / European players, also this time slot is more sociable for the people actually carrying out the maintenance (assuming the servers are actually in the pst timezome, personally I would have them at a location on the east coast of the USA.)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 05:12 AM
As I can understand the need for maintanance I can agree to most of the OP's message. But unfortuanatelyI can't with the following stated by the OP:

- The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. If you work night shifts, are unemployed or just have nothing to do all day then you have to accept that you're part of the minority. It is quite logical to screw with the fewest amount of people if need be.
- 2 hours aren't the end of the world. If it really means your only timeframe you can play you may need to schedule things a bit differently, but if really this is the case you're a part of a very insignificant minority and I'm sorry for you but considering the above facts, it's still the most optimal way to arrange things.

I can't agree with the above. I might assume (and that isn't really nice, I know) that you're from the USA???? That assumption because you forget the fact that it is around noon in europe. And sorry to say, that isn't a insignificant minority(just assuming again due to population and technology). I'm sure you can follow our thoughts that hard working people who like to relax in the weekends might try to login att this time. I could agree with the 'logical' choice of a noon time during the week but in the weekends????

2 hours are indeed not the end of the world. But they are pretty annoying if you pay a monthly fee and only are able to play in the weekends. A personal choice, true but still annoying. About sceduling things differently for a game????? Sorry to say, but this game is indeed not the end of the world, it is just a thing to relax with... wich we can't atm due to 'sceduled maint in the weekends.... I'm not going to plan my weekend around a 'scedule for a mmo'.

Anyway, my 2 credits
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tavos
you must have a very junior position the online entertainments industry, you seem to forget that this 'maintenance' is during prime time european playing hours, i.e. the weekend. If the maintenance was at 11am - 1pm during the week when people are at work I don't think you would see much complaining at all.

It is common sense really somthing that is truly lacking in a lot of people these days!
Around noon is not prime time on weekends, you may want to check the meaning of the term. I may be at a junior position but the graphs seem pretty self explanatory for me, they hit rock bottom around these times on weekends too so please stop redefining terms.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 05:16 AM
I'd prefer they tell me in advance that the server will be down for two hours than to try and play during those two hours and getting lagged/rubberbanded/disconnected and end up making no progress. At least with an announcement, I can go do something else. (Which happens to be browse the forums, it seems.)

In the end, this downtime will make the server a better place.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacilelNagarythe
I can't agree with the above. I might assume (and that isn't really nice, I know) that you're from the USA???? That assumption because you forget the fact that it is around noon in europe. And sorry to say, that isn't a insignificant minority(just assuming again due to population and technology). I'm sure you can follow our thoughts that hard working people who like to relax in the weekends might try to login att this time. I could agree with the 'logical' choice of a noon time during the week but in the weekends???
I'm pretty sure it is obvious where I'm from if you take a little look at my location on the left side here. So what period would you like as hard working person living in Europe on the weekends: in the evening when it's noon ifor the hard working people in the US or at night when it's evening for the hard working people in the US? Did I mention perspective somewhere?
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuck
I'd prefer they tell me in advance that the server will be down for two hours than to try and play during those two hours and getting lagged/rubberbanded/disconnected and end up making no progress. At least with an announcement, I can go do something else. (Which happens to be browse the forums, it seems.)

In the end, this downtime will make the server a better place.
True, the scheduled downtime is not announced well in advance but it will happen around these hours every day (if it happens at all). It was announced in the game though but maybe it's not clear that it's a schedule and it's fixed. People will get used to it though and probably later on we won't have it on a daily basis anyway.