Starfleet Veteran
Hello,

I've found that lately (possibly since the last patch, I'm not sure) the Mac client crashes regularly when I'm on busy ground maps, such as New Romulus or Earth Spacedock. It shows all the signs of an issue with RAM or VRAM usage hitting some sort of limit, causing the client to immediately crash to Desktop, with no error report.

I did find that the client would crash after a while previously, but it's got far worse lately. I can barely walk around ESD for more than 10 seconds before it happens. If I lower the graphics settings, I get a bit longer, maybe 5 minutes if I'm lucky. Again, this points towards a memory limit being hit.

Have any other Mac players encountered this? It's quite disappointing, as I ditched Boot Camp altogether a while ago, partly because of the official Mac client.

P.S. The Windows client running with CrossOver 13 is far, far more stable and can run with higher graphics settings. I'm avoiding resorting to that setup, however, because it seems to jerk a lot during battles on certain daily maps (despite handling ESD fine).

Also, my system specs:

- Early-2011 MacBook Pro 15"
- 2.2 GHz Core i7 quad-core
- 16GB RAM
- AMD 6750M with 1GB VRAM
Original join date: January 2010 (formally MarcW)
Lifetime Subscriber since Open Beta
Proud supporter of STO
Ensign
# 2
04-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Yeah Im also getting a lot of crashes on earth spacedock, its getting quite annoying as I can't progress anymore.