Lt. Commander
Does anyone use a Thrustmaster T.FLlghtstick X with the game (I use it in fliying/fighter games on the PS3, its a dual use joystick), and if so, could you please tell me how you got it to work?

I tried some remapping that was mentioned in another thread, and I get no directional control at all and the other stuff is dicey, and still requires I use the mouse and keyboard extensively.

Honestly, with my RSI, I need the joystick. Remapping the keys does not help, it only moves the trouble temporarily to a different finger. It does not solve the problem of (in combat) large numbers of fast repetitions of the same keys, and the need to use a mouse extensively.

If this doesn't change, I will be forced to cancel my subscription. Not bcause I don;t like the game, but because playing STO with a keyboard and mouse requires massive fast repetition of the same keys over and over, and is causing pain to the point where I can play no longer.

If I am on for more than an hour doing intensive space combat with the default way of doing things, even with the keys remapped, (like PvP or some of the better fleet actions and missions), I get swelling and pain.

Please help, is there a way to use a joystick like the one I have?
Lt. Commander
# 2 thrustmaster
02-07-2010, 01:04 PM
I have the old TopGunII model, and I ended up having to use JoyToKey program to get most of it working.
Takes a bit of setup, and you won't get the throttle to work properly. Can be "wacky" at times, but it's better than mouse + keyboard.

** Personal note.. You make a game w/ space fight combat, and DON'T add in joystick feature? Serious.. wtf was someone thinking!!?? That's like making a ground based shooter w/out guns.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcian_Darkrobe View Post
I have the old TopGunII model, and I ended up having to use JoyToKey program to get most of it working.
Takes a bit of setup, and you won't get the throttle to work properly. Can be "wacky" at times, but it's better than mouse + keyboard.

** Personal note.. You make a game w/ space fight combat, and DON'T add in joystick feature? Serious.. wtf was someone thinking!!?? That's like making a ground based shooter w/out guns.
Thanks I will give that a try. Maybe between that an /binds I can come up with something that will not kill my wrists and put me in pain.

And I agree -- seriously what were they thinking coming out with a flying game and no HID joystick support? All you need are the 3 axis controls (fwd-aft pitch, port-stbd roll/turn, and port-starboard yaw/strafe), the hat for camera look, a throttle, and a few buttons to be mappable, and that would satisfy a lot of the issues.

This stick has 2 axis movement as well as the rotational, a throttle, a POV Hat, and 12 buttons (4 as triggers). Plus it puts my hand in what the Doc calls a "neutral" position, rather than the cocked wrists that kbd and mouse require.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I also own the Top Gun USD, and like the buttons on it. If I cannot get my Flgihtstick X to work, I may try the Topgun, even though it doesn't have the yaw axis or throttle.