Lt. Commander
# 11
04-14-2014, 07:16 AM
Sorry you're having issues with your system set up and STO but that's no reason to troll and scare people away from this port.

I've had the official Mac app running stable and just fine on a 2008 Macbook, 2011 Macbook Pro, and 2013 Macbook Pro Retina all with dramatically different internal components, drivers, graphic chips, and cpus all running 10.9.2.

Sure we're losing couple frames per second on the Mac Port; but it's not as terrible as you make it seem if I can play the game on an old 2008 Macbook Unibody just fine.

If you're not happy with the game performance, don't play, close your account, stop trolling and leave the forums.

All the complainers seem to have forgetting how awesome it is we got a port that's officially support by Cryptic/PWE. I haven't forgotten. Thanks again Cryptic!

That's it; I'm done responding to trolls.
Starfleet Veteran
# 12
04-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Does the Mac port run? Yes.

Is it anywhere as good as the PC version? Not by a long way.

Should Mac users want their version to run as smoothly as the PC version? Yes.

Is it wrong for Mac users to want their version to be as smooth as the PC version? No.

What does that make the people who defend a substandard version and also call those who want a better version "trolls"? Apologists.
Ensign
# 13
04-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelipse04 View Post
Speak for yourself buddy.

This cider port is a huge improvement over the unofficial Mac app. I haven't gone back to bootcamp/unofficial wineskin since the official Mac version was released and I've had minimal if any issues since its launch.

Thanks again to Cryptic/PWE for taking the time and resources to make this Mac port happen!
Yup, I'm speaking for myself, thanks! All I'm saying is this: I have a choice of running STO on a Mac client or on the same machine in a Windows 7 environment. STO Windows runs awesome. I've since wiped everything and tried running the game from a factory-clean install on Mac, same deal. When I went back to Win7 and ran the STO Windows client on the same machine, life was great; no frame rate issues, fewer if any graphical glitches, and the S8 graphics bug just didn't happen.

No doubts the current port is an improvement over the unofficial app. Glad you're not having the same issues!

Last edited by intrepiddude; 04-19-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Ensign
# 14
04-19-2014, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Sorry you're having issues with your system set up and STO but that's no reason to troll and scare people away from this port.

I've had the official Mac app running stable and just fine on a 2008 Macbook, 2011 Macbook Pro, and 2013 Macbook Pro Retina all with dramatically different internal components, drivers, graphic chips, and cpus all running 10.9.2.

Sure we're losing couple frames per second on the Mac Port; but it's not as terrible as you make it seem if I can play the game on an old 2008 Macbook Unibody just fine.

If you're not happy with the game performance, don't play, close your account, stop trolling and leave the forums.

All the complainers seem to have forgetting how awesome it is we got a port that's officially support by Cryptic/PWE. I haven't forgotten. Thanks again Cryptic!

That's it; I'm done responding to trolls.
Please re-read my original post. Me = Executive Producer who makes AAA games and loves STO, not a troll. Not intentionally, anyhow, so I'm sorry that you decided to interpret my post that way while adding a few troll-a-licious comments instructing me what to do with my account.

My post is an opinion piece based on a limited set of data, and unlike you, I don't run multiple MacBooks; I just don't need to. Plus it would make for one ginormous airport carry-on. I boot to Windows to run my console development environments and run my games for fun, like STO, and I gave the STO Mac client a good few days of playtime to try to figure it out. I couldn't run missions, enter ground maps more than once or manage my fleet holdings. I'm speaking for myself and listed the issues I found, because I didn't find a single solution to any of them in the forums. That's all

Thanks for your reply and happy gaming!
Ensign
# 15
04-19-2014, 12:30 AM
Quote:
I'm running a late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina and I'm running STO just fine without a need for BootCamp anymore.

Trying to scare people away because of the issues some of you are encountering (clearly not all of us Mac users) is a pretty terrible thing to do considering we were lucky to get this port at all.

It sucks if you're having issues; but blaming it solely on the game is not going to fix anything; take a look at your machine and what you have installed there may be conflicts or other things happening on your Mac.
Hey there! Glad you're not having the same issues I am. I recently wiped and restored to a clean OS, same deal, then did the OS upgrade and same deal. As a game maker, I know that the issue could be my machine, and I don't have multiple MacBooks to test with. Alas, booting to Windows on the same machine shows no issues. Not sure what could be conflicting with STO on a clean OS install, but hey, who knows?

As for scaring people away, that's definitely not the intent. I'm simply relating my experience and frustrations, with an admittedly limited data set and one result: With my hunky, neanderthal brow furrowed, I found "Game Run Good On Win. Game Run Bad On Mac. But Machine No Change. Must Use Club."

Thanks for your reply and happy gaming
Ensign
# 16
04-19-2014, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by revandarklighter View Post
This.

Sorry, I actually mostly away from home currently and my mobile/working computer happens to be my beloved macbook.
The port might have difficulties now and then in some aspects, but it generally works well and I play STO with it since the Mac versions release (which was actually what draw me back to STO in the first place).

If you have the free choice between a mac and a pc for gaming, then, obviously the pc version is your way to go.
Macs are not build for gaming (they better in.... pretty much everything else, but not for gaming... no matter how much mac-haters will disagree on that... ).... but if you happen to have a mac... go ahead, based on my experience it works extraordinary well for something that cryptic made...
Hiya! Glad that the Mac client is working for you. I agree on one thing and respectfully disagree on another: I totally agree that if you have a choice, pick the one that works great, so that's what I've done. If the Mac client works for other peeps, great! It just doesn't work for me. Before working in games, I started my career in tech support er...20 some-odd years ago, so I did whatever troubleshooting I could muster, and still couldn't get it to go, until I re-booted the MacBook to Windows and ran the Windows STO client. The graphics and performance were awesome on Windows. Though it does make the MacBook's fan chug a bit. That's what fried my last MacBook, running STO almost 24/7.

As for Macs not being built for gaming...when we got the pre-production Xbox, Xbox 360 and XB One units before the brains at MS finalized the hardware production pipeline, the console architectures were stuffed into and shipped to dev studios in computers that had pictures of some kinda fruit comp'ny on the side. I play and evaluate a large amount of PC games on my MacBook when I boot Windows, and performance on the same hardware/different partition is super-duper.

Thanks for the feedback, and happy gaming
Ensign
# 17
04-27-2014, 11:44 AM
well just tried the mac client and it just freezes as soon as get into the game and has to be force quit.

so quite frankly, i'm not going to bother, i'll go play something else.

Lieutenant
# 18
04-27-2014, 07:02 PM
From tech support today, this fixed the problem on my iMac, still need to test the Macbook Pro:

This might be result that the game is not sync with the server

Verify your game files by going into Options in the game launcher, and checking the Force-Verify box, then let that complete.

You can also try running in safe mode. To do this, go to Options in the game launcher, and check the Safe Mode box. Also make sure your video drivers are fully updated.

I ran around in safe mode a few minutes then rebooted in full screen. Seems OK now.

AirBear
Rihannsu
# 19
05-02-2014, 03:11 AM
cryptic S9 really took the cake. I was able to play stable on three different machines before, now on each machine i experience constant graphics related crashes, even kernel panics once. And so far the problem hasn't even made it to the known issues list.

For an official client this is simply not acceptable.
Joined 06.10
PvP 2010-2011
PvP 2012-2013
Ensign
# 20
05-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Any word on when they'll fix this issue? I'd really love to play this game some time this year.

It seems the higher end the Mac, the newer it is, the bigger the issues we're dealing with as if they are aiming for the most common(they think) is the fruit they seek and the least common(ha ha, they think) is left to fend for itself for a month.