Lt. Commander
# 1 I'm a bit confused...
02-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I just started playing yesterday and have been gradually picking up the gameplay. The skilll system is still a bit confusing, but I'm sure it will start to make sense when it's too late and I've ended up wasting loads of points.

Anyway, I just read that there's some kind of crafting system. Also, an 'exchange' which I assume is similar to an auction house. I checked the manual and neither of these things is mentioned in there. I had no idea of their existance, so it makes me wonder what else I don't know :/ If I hadn't been randomly browsing the forum because of the downtime, I'd have no idea that there's some kind of crafting system. Is it eventually fit in to the game progression, or are people supposed to just already know?

Can anyone direct me towards any information on it?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 04:41 AM
Its not exactly a crafting system , more of a item enchantment , you will get a mission to open this , so play away till you get this mission , i think you get it at LT-5.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 04:43 AM
Cryptic seems to have a hard time providing decent doco with their games. Crafting in STO is more along the lines of upgrading existing items into bigger/better items using various anomaly obtained resources at Memory Aplha. You'll get a mission fairly early on directing you there.

The Exchange is located on Sol SB1, DS 9, Sierra Starbase and (not 100%) K7 - but it's terminals not people like in other games - look for the blinking terminals for that, mail and your own bank in the exchange section.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 04:46 AM
Sometime before you hit Lt Commander, you get a mission to deliver supplies to Memory Alpha. This is where the crafting system is located. Those bits of anomalous data you find on missions like Mineral Samples and things of that sort, can be taken to Memory Alpha and used to upgrade certain items. You're pretty limited at first, but once you upgrade a certain number of items, you will be able to go another trainer and upgrade better items. One of those trainers happens to be Kirayoshi O' Brien, the son of Miles O' Brien from TNG and DS9.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 04:51 AM
Cool, thanks for the quick replies. Where can I find something that will explain the ranking/skill system a bit better? A class specific one would be helpful, it would make it a lot easier to pick up if it was aimed at explaining the science class, if that makes sense?
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smulx View Post
Cool, thanks for the quick replies. Where can I find something that will explain the ranking/skill system a bit better? A class specific one would be helpful, it would make it a lot easier to pick up if it was aimed at explaining the science class, if that makes sense?
Not sure there is , but it does all fit in eventually , this game is new so not that hard to work it out as content is very shallow , one of the reasons i joined now so i am not trying to learn to much like i did with Eve and WoW etc. Its pretty basic but maybe someone else could guide you to more info.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewzz View Post
Not sure there is , but it does all fit in eventually , this game is new so not that hard to work it out as content is very shallow , one of the reasons i joined now so i am not trying to learn to much like i did with Eve and WoW etc. Its pretty basic but maybe someone else could guide you to more info.
It seems people don't like it when people compare this to things like WoW, but that just made so much more sense. For example, I could put a talent point in incrasing the critical strike chance of a spell by 2%, and I knew exactly what I was getting. But when I spend skill points in this, I'm not even sure what I'm getting in return for them. I think I'm just frustrated because it's so different. I'll probably get the hang of it soon enough
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 05:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smulx View Post
It seems people don't like it when people compare this to things like WoW, but that just made so much more sense. For example, I could put a talent point in incrasing the critical strike chance of a spell by 2%, and I knew exactly what I was getting. But when I spend skill points in this, I'm not even sure what I'm getting in return for them. I think I'm just frustrated because it's so different. I'll probably get the hang of it soon enough
Yeah, it's unfortunate, but games nowadays just don't provide much of anything in a manual. And MMO's are the worst of them all in that regard. Forum and web searches are probably your best bet to figure things out.