Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Fleet System and Holdings
Login

Lieutenant
So, I got to talking with a coworker-slash-fellow-captain today about the issues with small fleets vs larger fleets. We are both in a relatively large Fed fleet, about 200-or-so regularly active players (~400 total roster). But I also have an alt in a small KDF fleet that has been... failing, as of late. I think we can all agree that the current system is very heavily biased towards larger fleets, and that smaller fleets have issues filling the project requirements.

So, my question is, what's stopping small fleets from merging together to make one large fleet? They would be able to fill requirements faster, they'd all get access to the rewards, and they'd all make new friends in the process. Small fleets could find other small fleets that align with their interests, and go from there.

Also, are there other ways that may help alleviate #SmallFleetProblems?
Career Officer
# 2
04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
Egos, history, the lust for power, the want for a small fleet, wanting the fleet as storage space. Any of these are reasons why small fleets don't merge.

For example my fleet. Roster says 49 though I know at least 1/3 of that is made of me and 3 other friends and all our characters. The fleet itself is one I have managed since launch. I am too attached to the fleet to ever give up it for a more active fleet.

Others don't want to give up their power. As a fleet head of a small fleet, its nice being the big fish in a small pond. Others still actually use their fleet as 1 man fleets for storage. Others just want their fleets to only be their friends.

Lastly, there is also the amount of effort some people put into their fleets and now their fleet holdings. I have dragged my fleet all the way up to T3 SB, T2 Emb, T2 Mine (upgrading to T3) and T0 (upgrading to T1) Spire more or less by myself. I've run the numbers. Out of ever 10 fc generated at the SB I generate 7 of them. There are others out there like me how have poured too much blood sweat and tears into their SB to let that go.
Cheers from Antonio Valerio Cortez III, Half-Celestial Archduke of the Free Marches Confederacy.
Career Officer
# 3
04-10-2014, 10:12 AM
I have a small fleet with a friend of mine and we want adults only that means above 30ish. We would like to recruit more Klingon players but we prefer to keep it a close knit team. We want people who enjoy being Klingon and all that means. We have recruited a couple of players then they went missing and from what I can see they just quit the game.

We are now going through the tier 3 upgrade, station and ship yard complete working through the station duty officers at this time. I am disabled and spend a lot of time online from about 6 am CST to around 3-4 pm CST. My teammate is a disabled Veteren who is online from around 9 am Pacific Time to when he decides to get off line or when he is having health problem he may not be able to play.

We are The Ancient House of Seplch a House in Star Trek game play. (also see game PC Klingon. Simon and Schuster interactive 1996 S.T. Next Gen) We have an Klingon Opera named after our House Qul Tuq. (House of Fire) If you want to write Rp that is fine with us as long as you do not use improper languge or stray from being what Klingon means and is all about.

We do not have to have 200 players plus to have fun, we also do not need guys or gals to rip and run another words; clean out the team bank and split for another team. if you are female and want a team where you will not be harrased or given a hard time you are welcome. We are looking for team mates to enjoy STO with and that with out grief.
KDF Ancient House of Seplch
L.G. "Epitai" Kelrok son of Pok Seplch House Leader Tactical
L.G. Babd Grace O'Malley House Seplch Science Officer
V.A. Quintus Savat House Seplch Tactical Officer
Career Officer
# 4
04-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Some quality of life changes need to be made to the fleet system to accommodate smaller fleets.

Here are my suggestions:

Fleet Size by @account
Reduces a player with multiple characters in fleet from being counted multiple times.

Modify inputs based on fleet size.
I guess this would be the pseudo code for it (fleet_size(dilithium_mine_discount(base_input));

This will take a lot of analytics to determine some basis for the rate of advancement of smaller fleets vs larger fleets for the input discounts.

This would be a simpler solution than any kind of complicated sponsorship system. and the economy would certainly tank if their were any kind of sponserhip tokens. people would sell these at an insane price.
Commander
# 5
04-10-2014, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassycounter View Post
Modify inputs based on fleet size.
As had been discussed, this could be exploited by people temporarily leaving a 'large' fleet.

What I wouldn't mind seeing however, are completely new projects with small fleets in mind. Like having the standard experience project, with the existing x,y,&z resources and 20 hour cooldown, and then a small fleet version of it with half the x,y,&z resources but 7 day cooldown. A tradeoff large fleets might not pursue because it significantly increases the time to complete the starbase, but could help smaller fleets that struggle with resources.
Career Officer
# 6
04-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Quote:
As had been discussed, this could be exploited by people temporarily leaving a 'large' fleet.
I think that might stunt a fleet's progress as well since what they can accomplished can only be run once a week.

one way to discourage the exploitation would be to also reduce the provisions rewarded since smaller fleets wont need as many. still get the same amount of xp so the the advancement and progression would be on par to a large fleet but only get like 2-4 provisions ship provisions instead of 7 or something.
Commander
# 7
04-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Quote:
I think that might stunt a fleet's progress as well since what they can accomplished can only be run once a week.
You think it will stunt a small or large fleets progress? Large for sure, but if a large fleet wanted to take their time and match progress with a small one I don't see any harm in that. But as a member of a small fleet I can tell you we sure as heck aren't running a project a week. (Anyways at least not after the main contributor -me- hit the fleet credit cap and stopped.)

Quote:
still get the same amount of xp so the the advancement and progression would be on par to a large fleet but only get like 2-4 provisions ship provisions instead of 7 or something
IMO: Leave the provisioning projects as is. They aren't designed to progress the starbase & holdings, which I would think is the main issue for small fleets (it is with ours). And as a small fleet it's not like they need to run them a lot for their members. But sure, why not, a small fleet version of the provisioning projects could work.

Last edited by fftt; 04-10-2014 at 02:42 PM. Reason: EDIT: apparently the synonym for stunt starting we re and ending in ard is filtered
Career Officer
# 8
04-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftt View Post
You think it will stunt a small or large fleets progress? Large for sure, but if a large fleet wanted to take their time and match progress with a small one I don't see any harm in that. But as a member of a small fleet I can tell you we sure as heck aren't running a project a week. (Anyways at least not after the main contributor -me- hit the fleet credit cap and stopped.)
i understand that feel.

based on my experience in my kdf fleet, which is pretty abandoned at this point, i think it would stunt a small fleet, i can usually get one maybe two projects a week between my alts. If there adjusted values that would equate to maybe 3-4 a week meaning more xp and fleet rank up. that would week cool down would stunt me personally.
Commander
# 9
04-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Quote:
i understand that feel.

based on my experience in my kdf fleet, which is pretty abandoned at this point, i think it would stunt a small fleet, i can usually get one maybe two projects a week between my alts. If there adjusted values that would equate to maybe 3-4 a week meaning more xp and fleet rank up. that would week cool down would stunt me personally.
Is it one or two projects a week in one branch? or one or two projects a week total? If it's one or two projects a week in one branch than yeah I can see how a 7 day cooldown would slow you down. But if it's one or two projects spread over all the holdings then time-wise it'd be a wash since you're probably waiting a week between adding resources to any one holding anyways, but at least with a lowered resources/higher cooldown methodology you've only burned a portion of the resources you would have burned.

The fleet I'm in can't even muster one or two projects a week at this point
Career Officer
# 10
04-10-2014, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fftt View Post
Is it one or two projects a week in one branch? or one or two projects a week total? If it's one or two projects a week in one branch than yeah I can see how a 7 day cooldown would slow you down. But if it's one or two projects spread over all the holdings then time-wise it'd be a wash since you're probably waiting a week between adding resources to any one holding anyways, but at least with a lowered resources/higher cooldown methodology you've only burned a portion of the resources you would have burned.

The fleet I'm in can't even muster one or two projects a week at this point
usually one branch to make sure everything is t1 so provision projects unlock. then we can at least buy off of public service if we're lucky.