Lt. Commander
So, while I wait for the server I thought I would pop out a quick topic about the Chat Filter in STO.

Before you ask, yes I leave mine on. Why? Not because I am so ponce who can't take harsh language (just ask my neighbors...poor guys). If you've ever been in Zone chat with me you've heard my reason: I like to play MadLibs with the censored words. I can get bored at times and adding my own <explative> or <noun> to people's posts can be pretty amusing.

Ah, but the heart of the matter. STO has officially become the first game to earn a WTF from me on its choice of "censored" words. To keep it relatively short I will list my three favourite censorships in-game. I will most likely have to use quotations lest the words be censored here as well.

In order of amusment:

1= "Shat": Poor Bill Shatner has his given nicknamed censored. Yes, I know what it's actually the past-tense of, but it's the "Shat" man!

2- "Fart": Apparently the Federation has a Zero Flatus Tolerance Policy. I tend to call Eject Warp Plasma my ship "fart", but to see that word censored is hillarious. Not sure who out there is offended by "Farts", the word, not the actually oderous things themselves.

3- "45s": Apparently that poor chronometric child caught between 44 seconds and 46 seconds is not allowed by Starfleet of the KDF. I found this one out by telling someone how much time was left on a BOffs skill cooldown. It definitely got a "huh" from me. Maybe "Cools" and "Schlitz Malt Liquor" are to blame. *shrug*.

Do you have any fun censorships to share? Clean stuff, not the obvious bits gang.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 06:27 AM
I have mine turned off usually, so idon't have many...but I think early on, before I discovered you could turn off the filter, the game censored "butt".

I mean, really?
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 06:29 AM
Censorship Mad Libs

Best Trolling Game Ever

I approve.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 06:30 AM
I never understood the reasoning behind censorship. Are those people afraid someones head will explode on contact with a "bad word" or something?
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 06:31 AM
this thread made me LOL...
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormianrootsolver View Post
I never understood the reasoning behind censorship. Are those people afraid someones head will explode on contact with a "bad word" or something?
No, it's the parents. See, if Cryptic doesn't censor the chat, then we will end up with every child implanted with a "v-chip".

Quote:
this thread made me LOL...

Even benign words like "butt" aka butthead gets the axe... too funny
Butt... butt why? ;.;
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormianrootsolver View Post
It's a legal issue. Companies have to be wary of that 1 parent who will sue because their child was exposed to harsh language. Personally, I hate the lawsuits, but by offering the option for the filter as well as the "ask your parents permission first" but, they are just covering their "butts" (dunno if that is still censored).
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyarH View Post
Censorship Mad Libs

Best Trolling Game Ever

I approve.
My favourite so far was in a Fleet Action, I think the Gorn Advance, and I saw "&%^ those are HUGE &$^%&!". I filled in the blanks to read "Jinkies those are HUGE llamas!"
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalachiKrieg
My favourite so far was in a Fleet Action, I think the Gorn Advance, and I saw "&%^ those are HUGE &$^%&!". I filled in the blanks to read "Jinkies those are HUGE llamas!"
[I can't beat Jinkies... I tried.. and failed. Curse you forum-man!] those are HUGE Godzillas!
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 06:36 AM
I tried to name a character '****" and got stopped. I have a friend named "****" - he's angry on several levels though.

Edit: Okay - lol - they censor it here too... name is the Old Chinese guy's name in Big Trouble in Little China. It's an Acronym for Why Are Names Ganked