Lt. Commander
# 1 Voice chat and lag
02-07-2010, 05:22 AM
Ok. It's a new MMO and is buggy and has a tendancy for server crash - fine! That I can deal with, it happens and no doubt crptic will resolve these issues over time.
But I'm a bit peeved at the lag and no voice chat. C'mon crptic, a ST MMO has been in the making for years.. not by you personally but its been there with others and you are the ones that picked up the reins and bought it on to our PCs with a huge amnount of hype on the web to the run up to its launch. What did you expect? A handful of people would only be subscribing?
You say you are overwhelmed at the amount of people wanting to play STO. Really?
It's star trek! There is no other MMO that does star trek. Let's be a bit realistic about this. And now we have lag and queues and no voice chat. I find that very nieve of you.
Your coffers must be overflowing with subscriptions but I don't see it reflected on the capability and grunt of your server. WOW and EVE have chat and no problems witrh it. Yes, they have been going for years but that is (as the Borg would say) irrelevant, its sheer underestimating or money pinching on your behalf.
So lets get it sorted please.
Will I continue tp play STO? Yes I will. It's fun and different and no doubt will improve with time. But slap on the wrist to you cryptic for not putting it in perspective to the amount of people wanting to play it.

Disappointed Gamer (so far)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Hubble
Ok. It's a new MMO and is buggy and has a tendancy for server crash - fine! That I can deal with, it happens and no doubt crptic will resolve these issues over time.
But I'm a bit peeved at the lag and no voice chat. C'mon crptic, a ST MMO has been in the making for years.. not by you personally but its been there with others and you are the ones that picked up the reins and bought it on to our PCs with a huge amnount of hype on the web to the run up to its launch. What did you expect? A handful of people would only be subscribing?
You say you are overwhelmed at the amount of people wanting to play STO. Really?
It's star trek! There is no other MMO that does star trek. Let's be a bit realistic about this. And now we have lag and queues and no voice chat. I find that very nieve of you.
Your coffers must be overflowing with subscriptions but I don't see it reflected on the capability and grunt of your server. WOW and EVE have chat and no problems witrh it. Yes, they have been going for years but that is (as the Borg would say) irrelevant, its sheer underestimating or money pinching on your behalf.
So lets get it sorted please.
Will I continue tp play STO? Yes I will. It's fun and different and no doubt will improve with time. But slap on the wrist to you crptic for not putting it in perspective to the amount of people wanting to play it.

Disappointed Gamer (so far)

Mate, I am going to post my two cents in response, but I have to start with: Could you please hit <enter> more. The wall of text is really hard to read. I am not picking on you, I really do like to read what people are saying, but this just makes it really hard.

The lag issue is being addressed. Server load balancing takes time to iron out. I have yet, in 13 years of playing them, to experience an MMO that doesn't go through this growing pain in the beginning. There's simply no way to forecast how many people from how many ISPs are going to log on at any given time. Worst yet, forecasting how many players are going to be in a certain in-game area is even more impossible.

I played EVE from Beta Phase 3. To this day, Corps still have to let the devs know when there are going to be large fleet wars so that resources can be allocated to that cluster (computer and star).

WoW, who had tons of money to roll into the developement, had a horrific first 90 days of launch. Again, there are just some things that cannot be planned for no matter how much effort is put into it.

In-game voice chat is not something you want to be asking for when you are, in the same breath, complaining about lag. This adds to packet transmission. I've used them all: Vent, Roger Wilco, Team Speak, WoW's laughable attempt, you name it. In-game voice chat is generally a bad idea becuase, and I just explained this in another thread, you have to deal with horrific CODEC compression if the game's servers are handling that load as well.

Voice-Chat is best left to a third-party program. As much as the "internet" and bandwidth have changed, CODEC software is still horribly archaic. As a musician I cannot stand even the "best" CODEC from the "best" voice-chat softwares.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 05:38 AM
I would say that lag issues are far better handled than in WoW (for example) when it had few days after start as poster above said.