Lt. Commander
Appearantly you get medals at the end of a PvP-match according to the damage and healing (not shields, only hull/body) you did in game.
That is great for tacticians, because their skills are designed towards damage.

Alas it leaves out all forms of support, namely shield healing, buff/debuff, exposing (so others can exploit), crowdcontrol by hold and knockdown/knockback, tractorbeam and whatnot.

I am doing matches together with my brother on a regular basis and noticed, that he gets a lot more medals for doing "only" damage, while I do the fancy scientist stuff. We fight together in the battle, shoulder to shoulder, the banner of the KDF held high ... but don't get the same reward.

While I understand the problem, that people sometimes go afk during a match (I have encountered that only in PvE so far tho, not in PvP), I consider that system somewhat unfair towards the support people.

I hope for a better solution, maybe an activity rating, like how often a player used skills, special attacks or such.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 12:40 AM
There is no reason not to do damage AND support to some extend, it takes more situation awareness but then as a supporter it's not your job to cover the ass of your idiot team mate who recklessly charges in doing stupid things in order to get the top dps spot knowing somebody will make a sacrifice on his own reward trying to save him again and again.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 12:51 AM
There's no reason not to be spamming that spacebar when playing a healer.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 12:55 AM
"Scotty! I need more SPACEBAR!111!!!!!!!!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KabaalGen
There's no reason not to be spamming that spacebar when playing a healer.
Some people are just not as mentally facile and do have to concentrate in providing the support role. There should be some format that allows for a graduated earning of points, but at the same time protection from same team griefers that go (ahem) AFK at the start of a PvP match and never seem to return (no matter the length of the match apparently). (*cough* FoE fleet *cough*)
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 03:28 AM
I tank in a BoP at T2 and I usually open first. After all my tank buffs are gone I have to exit and return when ready. I'm an engineer so I don't carry damage buffs. I could carry some but I play the tank role.

Surely I don't deserve less Skill Point rewards and healers deserve them too. We all do our job. Just make it all equal.

I would say that the developers should trust certain members with a "kick from arena" ability. I certainly would not abuse it, nor would many others. Other than that there must be a simple way to deter people from going afk. I move a lot in PvP (space) and I use a lot of skills. That would be a headache to program though and then the cheats would make macros.

How about GMs sitting in on some PvP and banning (permanently) these cheats?
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lloyd
I tank in a BoP at T2 and I usually open first. After all my tank buffs are gone I have to exit and return when ready. I'm an engineer so I don't carry damage buffs. I could carry some but I play the tank role.

Surely I don't deserve less Skill Point rewards and healers deserve them too. We all do our job. Just make it all equal.
You are entirely correct - it doesn't work, and every previous game that attempted this got it equally wrong.

[It's not an entirely bad idea, it's just impossible to measure "contribution" in practice]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lloyd
I would say that the developers should trust certain members with a "kick from arena" ability. I certainly would not abuse it, nor would many others. Other than that there must be a simple way to deter people from going afk. I move a lot in PvP (space) and I use a lot of skills. That would be a headache to program though and then the cheats would make macros.

How about GMs sitting in on some PvP and banning (permanently) these cheats?
That isn't necessary (is /afk worse than chain-kamikazeing to 45? or camping deep-space? or...). Likewise I doubt that 'kick from arena' is a good idea.

And remember that afk can be anything from 'exploiter' to 'family member got injured and rushed to hospital/phone rang/cat had an accident on carpet'...

The game just needs a simple 'I am here: yes/no' popup if it thinks the player *might* be /afk. If the player lies/automates a response to that screen, then it's intentional and they get banned/perma-warning applied.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmerJr View Post
Some people are just not as mentally facile and do have to concentrate in providing the support role.
Now that is true. Most likely my concentration is not as great as that of the average player, who is about 20 years younger than me.
But still, I play MMOs since over ten years and had my share of space combat in SW:G. So at least I am no super-newb.
Of course I try to do damage while supporting, what is easier in space than on ground in my opinion. But due to my available abilities it is impossible for me to reach a tactician in damage output (unless he/she is afk or joined lately).

My point is, I do my best in battle grounds (what may or may not be enough), but am less rewarded than others. This seems unfair to me.

Afk'ers/suiciders in PvP: they seem to be a vast minority. And installing a reward system only because of them is maybe not the best solution.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Engi Cap/Cruiser.

Run full weapons with all my points into boosting shield skills. I run with EP to shields, which gives me an extra 21 power in shields for 30s out of 45s so far (scales up more I think) then EPS conduit part of the time as well... runs 125 weapon 95-100 shield power for part of the fight (I have efficient engines in T3, tee hee)... Can dps, heal (engi team + hazard emitters) and refill shields like crazy (1400ish per pulse with extend Mk II) oh and can take quite a bit of punishment. Hazard emitters doesnt seem to be scaling properly with its skills, but it still heals quite a bit.

Its not a bad Idea to balance yourself between weapons and shields, you get more medals, and done right you can be more useful overall to your team.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 05:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf68 View Post
Appearantly you get medals at the end of a PvP-match according to the damage and healing (not shields, only hull/body) you did in game.
That is great for tacticians, because their skills are designed towards damage.

Alas it leaves out all forms of support, namely shield healing, buff/debuff, exposing (so others can exploit), crowdcontrol by hold and knockdown/knockback, tractorbeam and whatnot.

I am doing matches together with my brother on a regular basis and noticed, that he gets a lot more medals for doing "only" damage, while I do the fancy scientist stuff. We fight together in the battle, shoulder to shoulder, the banner of the KDF held high ... but don't get the same reward.

While I understand the problem, that people sometimes go afk during a match (I have encountered that only in PvE so far tho, not in PvP), I consider that system somewhat unfair towards the support people.

I hope for a better solution, maybe an activity rating, like how often a player used skills, special attacks or such.
Healers and supporters stay alive longer, thus do more damage over time. If you feel that your friend is hogging too much of the glory, you should take that up with him and get him to get some support as well (thus making you two even stronger).

If you got one guy doing all the support stuff, and one guy doing all the damage, and you are not happy with the outcome, that is poor internal communications, not bad game design. There is no such thing as a pure healer, nor does the game reward being too supportive or too damaging.