Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > The Art of Star Trek Online
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,051
# 11
04-13-2014, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmog View Post
These too. I was going to post them in an update but glad you found them too. Some red is ok in the interface but they should mix colors around a bit more. Strangely enough, you can't even color the combadge in red or red, green and blue like the KIF (Klingon Imperial Fleet).
The term is not KIF (Klingon Imperial Fleet) or IKF (Imperial Klingon Fleet) or IKN (Imperial Klingon Navy) or DSF (Deep Space Fleet, as it's called in SFB) or IKSF or whatever permutations we can come up with or lift from various books.
It's "Klingon Defense Force", that's what it's called in the shows.

And the combadge actually was never red or green.



oh and "updating" will be a bit troublesome because it's not possible to post more than 4 images with the "IMG" tag per post.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,925
# 12
04-13-2014, 08:20 AM
And Feds use more than just blue.

Actually, I recall them using white light a lot in the shows....


But Cryptic wants to color code it.
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 66
# 13
04-13-2014, 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
The term is not KIF (Klingon Imperial Fleet) or IKF (Imperial Klingon Fleet) or IKN (Imperial Klingon Navy) or DSF (Deep Space Fleet, as it's called in SFB) or IKSF or whatever permutations we can come up with or lift from various books.
It's "Klingon Defense Force", that's what it's called in the shows.
It's part of ST canon and is on Memory Alpha: Klingon Imperial Fleet.

"The Klingon Imperial Fleet is the name for the starship fleet and military personnel serving under the Klingon Empire during the 22nd and 23rd century."


It is for similar reasons as the TOS and ENT uniforms being included in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
And the combadge actually was never red or green.
Ironically, the functionality of a combadge has been moved onto the left wrist. It's not even called a "combadge" in the game, just the "Klingon Empire Badge". Plus, the Klingon Empire symbol is red, so it would make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
oh and "updating" will be a bit troublesome because it's not possible to post more than 4 images with the "IMG" tag per post.
Don't worry, I've updated it by using links only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I agree, Klingons always had a stronger lean towards green shades as opposed to red everywhere. Yes, Romulans are also "green" but that's how it is in canon. The red in STO just serves to simplify the Blue vs Red mindset, bt the devs decided long ago that they don't want to do two or more factions anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpalelena View Post
...But Cryptic wants to color code it.
I see. Well, at least we know that the players are not to blame.

Last edited by karmog; 04-14-2014 at 05:02 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,051
# 14
04-13-2014, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmog View Post
It's part of ST canon and is on Memory Alpha: Klingon Imperial Fleet.

"The Klingon Imperial Fleet is the name for the starship fleet and military personnel serving under the Klingon Empire during the 22nd and 23rd century."
From TNG: "Sins of the Father":

KURN: I am Kurn, commander rank, Klingon Defence Force. You will address me as Commander or sir at all times.

from DS9 "Sons and Daughters":

MARTOK: Then why has he joined the Klingon Defence Forces?

also even the Mem Alpha link to posted states:

"It is unknown if the usage of the term "Imperial Fleet" went into disuse by the 24th century or became merged with or renamed as the Defense Forces."
You also ignored that in the part you quoted it says:
"The Klingon Imperial Fleet is the name for the starship fleet and military personnel serving under the Klingon Empire during the 22nd and 23rd century."
We are not in the 22nd or 23rd century.

It's also unclear from the dialogue in the episodes that use the term "Imperial Fleet" whether it's has ever been the formal name or not, just like people would say "I was in the navy" as opposed to "I am Commander <insert name>. United States Navy." as applied to Kurn for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmog View Post
Ironically, the functionality of a combadge has been moved onto the left wrist. It's not even called a "combadge" in the game, just the "Klingon Empire Badge". Plus, the Klingon Empire symbol is red, so it would make sense.
Actually it's 4 colours.


Last edited by misterde3; 04-13-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 11,104
# 15
04-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 783
# 16
04-13-2014, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
I agree, Klingons always had a stronger lean towards green shades as opposed to red everywhere. Yes, Romulans are also "green" but that's how it is in canon. The red in STO just serves to simplify the Blue vs Red mindset, bt the devs decided long ago that they don't want to do two or more factions anymore.
klingons had afinity to both red and green, with the klingon green been somewhat drab/dirty in comparison to the romulan one, which is shinier/clean.

personally i would be happy if cryptic at least toned down the "red everywhere, all the time" tendency the klingons have, its incredibly annoying, especially those bridges that seem to ooze the color red.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 66
# 17
04-14-2014, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
From TNG: "Sins of the Father":

KURN: I am Kurn, commander rank, Klingon Defence Force. You will address me as Commander or sir at all times.

from DS9 "Sons and Daughters":

MARTOK: Then why has he joined the Klingon Defence Forces?

[...]

It's also unclear from the dialogue in the episodes that use the term "Imperial Fleet" whether it's has ever been the formal name or not, just like people would say "I was in the navy" as opposed to "I am Commander <insert name>. United States Navy." as applied to Kurn for example.
From ENT: "Judgement":

"KOLOS: The facts are on record. Perhaps the Prosecutor has grown complacent with his research. The records of the Imperial Fleet also mention this man. His ship was instrumental in the rescue of the Klingon Raptor, the Somraw, from the dense atmosphere of a gas giant."

This is from a formal trial in the courtroom on Narendra III. Kolos "was a veteran Klingon advocate in the mid-22nd century." A veteran advocate would use formal terms during a formal trial. It's very clear that the Imperial Fleet is a formal term.


From TAS: "The Time Trap":

"KURI [on viewscreen]: I am Commander Kuri of the Klingon Imperial Fleet."

Note: "With the release of The Animated Series DVD, the studio appears to have changed its stance, and is leaning towards the animated series being part of established Star Trek canon."


From ENT: "Divergence":

"PHLOX: As a physician in the Imperial Fleet, you've served in the military."

From DS9: "Once More Unto the Breach":

"KOR: [...] There were only a handful of engineers in the Imperial Fleet who knew how to operate them."

All these references sound formal enough and refer to or are from a specific time period of the 22nd and 23rd centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
also even the Mem Alpha link to posted states:

"It is unknown if the usage of the term "Imperial Fleet" went into disuse by the 24th century or became merged with or renamed as the Defense Forces."
That doesn't change it from being a formal term in the 22nd and 23rd centuries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
We are not in the 22nd or 23rd century.
Neither are the TOS and ENT uniforms in STO. However, it's still canon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
Actually it's 4 colours.

I'm glad you've posted this because that's from at least the 23rd century and is the symbol of the Klingon Empire and the Klingon Imperial Fleet. I want that version included too.

In an earlier post I said: "...or red, green and blue like the KIF (Klingon Imperial Fleet)", referring to the three parts at the front. At the same time, one of the primary TNG and DS9 versions of the symbol is red, like the current default Klingon forum avatar.

Last edited by karmog; 04-14-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Lieutenant
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 66
# 18
04-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenicius View Post
klingons had afinity to both red and green, with the klingon green been somewhat drab/dirty in comparison to the romulan one, which is shinier/clean.
Depending on a Klingon green (e.g. Qo'noS, starship hulls, disruptor cannons, warp nacelles, tractor beams etc), it varies with the Klingon and the Romulan factions. It also varies with different ST series and films. The TNG remastered (Blu-ray) version of Qo'noS looks like this:



Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenicius View Post
personally i would be happy if cryptic at least toned down the "red everywhere, all the time" tendency the klingons have, its incredibly annoying, especially those bridges that seem to ooze the color red.
It's mainly the lighting that is always too dark instead of changing between "normal" and "battle" modes, as well as a limited mix of light sources. If you take a screenshot of a Klingon bridge from STO and change its hue, it will have a similar effect.

In Star Trek V, there is regular lighting in normal mode and a dimmed mix of blue, some red and green lighting in cloaked and battle modes. However, there are usually multiple light sources. The effect is kind of pleasing. For some reason they always kept it dark in TNG and DS9 with a limited mix of light sources.

Last edited by karmog; 04-14-2014 at 08:59 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,490
# 19
04-14-2014, 09:01 AM
What about the interior of Kronos One in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country? As I recall, the interior halls had quite a bit of blue and white. Would have seemed like an early Federation ship if it wasn't for the Klingon personnel and the rugged and sharp layout.
Captain
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,158
# 20
04-14-2014, 09:12 AM
It should be noted that while Klingons do use green and blue, a Klingon interface should not be composed of separate referenceable components that are these colors, as Klingons apparently do not really distinguish between "blue", "green", and "yellow", as all of these are the same Klingon word, "SuD". It would thus get very confusing if a Klingon had to refer to the blue things as distinct from the yellow things. Orange things and red things are similarly indistinguishable, both are "Doq".

Klingons aren't really into colors. To refer to finer distinctions of colors requires some pretty awkward and cumbersome construction.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:04 PM.