Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
This is a pebcak problem not UI issue, check your options there are a few ways to tweek how your targeting works.
Lt. Commander
# 12
02-07-2010, 10:02 AM
Food for Trolls: If Klinks get a bonified ball in T5, Feds should get a full fledged cloaking device to cause a little payback of their own. Since role reversal seems to be the theme here.
Lt. Commander
# 13
02-07-2010, 10:24 AM
If feds really don't like junking up the target list with garbage, you shouldn't have been doing it for 3 tiers.

Not so fun to dig through targets, is it?

When KDF complained the vocal feds said 'deal with it.' So there you go, here's your advice right back.
Lt. Commander
# 14
02-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine
If feds really don't like junking up the target list with garbage, you shouldn't have been doing it for 3 tiers.

When KDF complained the vocal feds said 'deal with it.' So there you go, here's your advice right back.
But to be fair, klingons should have to deal with stuff like cloaking feds and what not, no? I'm not complaining mind you (not at T5 yet), but the feds always had their ball+cluster of targets and klinks always had their cloak. Now klinks have the cloak and the ball+cluster of targets where feds get nothing extra.

Now that just doesn't seem balanced, and I mean in terms of how much stuff each side gets, not overpowered/underpowered mind you.

Simply put:
T5 Klinks || T5 Feds
Cloak......||| Ball
Ball.........|| <N/A>

Edit: Maybe feds should get the "Photonic Cannon" from voyager (starts at 1:00):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfjQ1...eature=related

If we're going with the "deal with it" approach to balance.

double edit: fixed link
Lt. Commander
# 15
02-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoOverdose View Post
But to be fair, klingons should have to deal with stuff like cloaking feds and what not, no? I'm not complaining mind you (not at T5 yet), but the feds always had their ball+cluster of targets and klinks always had their cloak. Now klinks have the cloak and the ball+cluster of targets where feds get nothing extra.

Now that just doesn't seem balanced, and I mean in terms of how much stuff each side gets, not overpowered/underpowered mind you.

Simply put:
T5 Klinks || T5 Feds
Cloak......||| Ball
Ball.........|| <N/A>

Edit: Maybe feds should get the "Photonic Cannon" from voyager (starts at 1:40):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kAPo...eature=related

If we're going with the "deal with it" approach to balance.
Well, I don't really feel that way. I think that ship targetting should happen when you click on a cloud of trash. It's annoying, but I've always said that. It's a huge hassle to target when there are 30 mines around you.
Lt. Commander
# 16
02-07-2010, 11:08 AM
/agree

My only concern is that if you click on a group of space junk and get a ship in that mess, it really becomes a pew pew pew fest in the end. TBH, I'm enjoying the strategy developing and wish more of it were happening instead of the QQ threads about how the game isn't so horribly simple that the Geico caveman can do it. Call me a different breed of Klingon warrior, but half of the game to me is the chase.
Lt. Commander
# 17
02-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Scramble Sensors?

Does this work with the Klingon NPC BoPs?

Like every MMO people are gonna QQ because their normal tactics do not work against these new carriers. Then one day someone will discover a new FOTM item/build/skill that will balance the carrier swarm out.
Lt. Commander
# 18
02-07-2010, 12:13 PM
How the **** did people get to Tier 5 so fast? Do you guys just not sleep, or take a ****? Jesus Christ. I've been playing every free moment I have had and I'm only LC 8.
Lt. Commander
# 19
02-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by |SoK| Kahless
Honestly I think it's a taste of their own medicine from a purely tactical standpoint. The Federation side took advantage of an inherent UI problem and began mine spamming to prevent their ships from being targeted. The end result was Klingons using what they were given, fighting smarter, and countering with the "cloak and hunt" tactic. In terms of battle, I say they just deal with the NPC ships they way the Klingons have had to deal with the Fedball minefield. If both sides are smart, they will simply develop a metagame around these tactics and the world will be a happy place filled with glorious battles and "MAN I can't believe we won/lost that!"

Now before you start flaming, notice where I said "inherent UI problem." I also agree that the UI needs some work in the targeting area. There were some improvements in beta with color schemes and the ability to tell enemies from allies. but I find one major problem with the way things are now that supports what the OP is talking about:

You cannot always target your closest enemy. If a mine is .05 KM away from your closest enemy player target, more than likely you will target the mine if your camera is not angled properly.

Two of the things I enjoyed about Guild Wars was the ability to hit either Alt or Ctrl (depending on how one binds it) and being able to see all enemy or NPC targets at a glance. The second was the ability to hit one button and target my closest enemy. Now if that enemy was an NPC pet, it got targeted and I manually adjusted my target choice to compensate. But the way things are in STO's UI, target selection seems random and based on nothing more than "oh look, here's a bad guy" no matter how close they are to you.

I'm not sure if that'll solve *all* of the targeting issues, but it is what I've seen thus far in my adventures in deflating the Fedball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat_Machine

and so do klinks...lately thay have been mine spamming arenas and cloaking...so stop with the QQ about how the feds used this tactic when many klinks are using it now as well....
Lt. Commander
# 20
02-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohok View Post
How the **** did people get to Tier 5 so fast? Do you guys just not sleep, or take a ****? Jesus Christ. I've been playing every free moment I have had and I'm only LC 8.
In most MMO's the xp progression from level one to level cap is geometric, e.g. it could take twice as much xp to get to level 2, 4 times as much for level 3, 8 times as much to get to level 4, etc. while the xp progression of enemies is linear eg. level 1 oponent gives 10 xp, level 2 gives 20 xp, level 3 gives 30 xp.

So even though the xp gain increases from level to level, it takes longer to achieve each new level.

In WoW, for example, getting from 50 to 60 could take longer than getting from 20 to 50.

This isn't really the case in STO. In sto the time it takes to progress from Lt. Cmdr to Cmdr is only slightly longer than the time it takes to progress from Lt. to Lt. Cmdr, and the same holds true for progressing from Commander to Captain (halfway to captain myself).

In general, I have found that it takes 1 patrol mission, 1 storyline mission and 2-4 pvp matches or deep space encounters (with their associated missions) to advance a grade. For each rank there are give or take 10 storyline missions, the same amount of patrol missions, and all the deep space and pvp encounters that you could possibly want. So it only takes just over twice the time for someone to reach admiral that it took for someone, such as yourself to reach commander. If you factor in 4-5 days of pre-release, than the current admirals only had to play just under twice as much per day compared to the average player.