Lt. Commander
# 1 Game won't startup
02-07-2010, 08:14 AM
That's right... no patcher, no login, nothing. I click the start icon and nothing happens. I even checked the Task Manager, and sure enough, the program is running -- but nothing's happening. I've tried un-/reinstalling, downloaded the beta client, rebooted multiple times -- nothing. This was a fresh install straight from the DVD straight from Best Buy. So no obvious reason why it wouldn't be working. I'm running an AMD Phenom 9500 Quad-Core with Vista 64, an Nvidia GeForce 9600GT with updated drivers, 8Gb of RAM.

Any ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 08:42 AM
try moving or reinstalling STO to another folder outside of c:\program files (x86) ie c:\games. disabling UAC or lowering the UAC levels may achieve the same result, disabling UAC isnt recommended though
makesure the account your using has full access to the folder

disable your antivirus or at least the scan on access features it may have, if you use kapersky disable add banner

right click the shortcut to STO and select run as admin

disable windows themes especialy if your using aero even if your not youll get better performance with it disabled
at least try setting the compatability properties for the shortcut so both visual themes and desktop compoisition are disabled,
to disablee the servic which is the best option - start-search type services.msc and rightclick themes and select stop the service will restart when you reboot or by rightlicking again and select start

try running the game in compatability mode for XP
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 10:07 AM
I was so hopeful. Sadly, none of those suggestions had any effect. Other ideas?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 01:02 PM
I should clarify -- the program isn't running in the applications section, but when I go to the Processes tab I can see the executable running. Nothing happens beyond that, though. Also reinstalled IE 8, just in case it was a library problem. No joy.
Lt. Commander
# 5
03-03-2012, 10:38 AM
That's funny. 2 years later and i'm having the exact same problem you are. Had downloaded the game thru steam and was having issues getting it to start up. I play Left for Dead 2 and Team fortress 2 with no problems and have downloaded several demos thru steam also. I finally deleted the game on steam and tried downloading it directly from STO site. Same problem i click on shortcut which doesn't do anything but i look at task manager and i see it like its running. Whats up?