Lt. Commander
This is a serious question because I may be missing a huge chunk of the game but...

It seems that the game consists of getting missions to go to places (that pretty much look the same) and pretty much kill anything that gets in your way.

Sure there is the skills system (quirky but It may grow on me) and the three Officer settings.

But other than space combat and the very rare ground mission that's it ? Grind up levels to fit into new ships to do the same.

I know I'm possibly asking a little much but is that really it ? Can someone list (bullet point) the 'other things' to do in game other than countless go to A and B and C and D and no matter what the mission is be ready to kill waves of bad guys.

Sure its a 'pretty game' but that cant be it ?

As I say this IS a serious post so if I'm missing some other major elements please fill me in.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

Coops (Core-Exiles)
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
We all are missing something.

A lot of things, to be honest.

*looking forward to Black Prophecy*
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 09:27 AM
welcome to mmo's.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Yep, welcome to STO.

You can either take the blue pill, and carry on playing in a dull, monotomous, boring repetitive world where you are constantly bombarded with artificial incentives to cough up more cash for bodged content that any other developer hands out for free. Or, you can take the red pill, where you are freed from this god-awful world where your hard earned money actually goes toward something worthwhile. Where STO is a distant memory and the Star Trek license upholds its integrity.

Yes, lets just forget STO ever happened, for the good of the IP.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwig View Post
Yep, welcome to STO.

You can either take the blue pill, and carry on playing in a dull, monotomous, boring repetitive world where you are constantly bombarded with artificial incentives to cough up more cash for nothing in return. Or, you can take the red pill, where you are freed from this god-awful world where your hard earned money actually goes toward something worthwhile. Where STO is a distant memory and the Star Trek license upholds its integrity.

Yes, lets just forget STO ever happened, for the good of the IP.
There are no better words to describe how I feel about this game.

It would, however, be a very nice free MMORPG.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I dunno the game had it's moments. The City on the edge of never mission was pretty good. The space combat in the first half of open beta actually felt challenging (To OB players: remember the "hostage" ship, the gorn battleship? That was space combat). I'm just hoping that if they ever implement a difficulty slider, and we crank it up to maximum, we could reproduce that level of challenge.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
This game has better missions as every other MMORPG!

Only GW2 can top this at some time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
"not at launch"
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 09:56 AM
Let me ask you this question. in the launch of any MMORPG are you going to find mission/quests other then go here and talk to this person. Now they are going to tell you to kill a number of things. You then run back, and tell them that you killed those things. They then tell you to go and kill different things. You turn around and run out and happily kill the new things, come back and inform him that you killed the new things. He then tells you to go out and kill one last bigger thing that you have already killed several times on your first 2 trips because it kept getting in your way. once you finish all of that you are then told to go to the next town, rinse repeat, developers cash the f---ing check.

I guess the question for you is whether you want to play a game that allows you to use different types of combat to kill x number of y badies, and sometimes has a story line other then.....I want you to kill things (great writing talent in some MMOs) or you can select a game where you fight in the exact same way, without the ability to change your tactic or play style from level 1 to X.

More things will come and focus on the missions if you want more then just go kill something. Me I am going to capp some Klingons because the PVP is damn fun in this game.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divinerath View Post
Let me ask you this question. in the launch of any MMORPG are you going to find mission/quests other then go here and talk to this person.
Let me ask you something. Why should this be the norm? Why should developers refrain from pushing the boundaries and trying something truly innovative? Why should anyone pay their hard earned cash for a recycled heap of steaming turd?

It's one thing having a basic formula of go here, kill x, go here in MMO's. But STO took that repetitive monotomous boredom to a new level i never thought could be achieved. Thats just one of the reasons this game is a flop.