Lt. Commander
# 1 USS Lakota?
02-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I thought this was an excelsior class ship? at least it was in DS9... so either this is just a filler until they decide to put the excelsior class ship skins in, but i ran across this NPC ship in a mission. did the Excelsior Lakota get decomissioned and this one become the new one, or is it just filler?

here's a link to the screenshot i took. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d1...7-07-14-22.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 07:30 AM
When you look at the history of Star Trek, almost every ship that we came into contact with was either Excelsior-class or Oberth-class. With the exception of the USS Phoenix and USS Yamato.

So I think its safe to say that your Lakota had been decommissioned, and replaced by a fancy new ship.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 07:55 AM
I have to admit, I'm kind of bummed the Oberth class isn't available as a science ship.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnWill
I have to admit, I'm kind of bummed the Oberth class isn't available as a science ship.
Me too. But there's always the possibility of new classes of ship being made available. As I understand the Lakota was a refit class of the Excelsior to bring it up to date with the Next Gen technology. However, by 2409 it's entirely possible that that ship was decomissioned or destroyed somewheres.

Nothing to stop you picking up a Vesper class (VERY close in appearance to the Excelsior IMO) and naming it 'Lakota' though
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnWill
Oberths were obsolescent as of TNG's start, that's why Nova-class was introduced - to eventually replace the Oberth-class.

TBH, Oberts are fugly enough I'm glad that the more modern Nova's in game, instead of them.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callasan View Post
Oberths were obsolescent as of TNG's start, that's why Nova-class was introduced - to eventually replace the Oberth-class.

TBH, Oberts are fugly enough I'm glad that the more modern Nova's in game, instead of them.
WTB Nebula-class starship.