Lt. Commander
Ive been playing this game since beta with a group of friends and its starting to get boring.
We all decided that it maye due to the fact that there is nothing to lose while playing , when we die we just respawn nothing lost and back into the fight we go.

Some suggestions of what should happen upon dying

1, Ship is lost and you respawn at the nearest station where you can use a previous ship or buya new one if you have no ships left you will have to use the begginer ship which is in infinate supply.

OR

2, Lose exp , merits , credits etc

I personaly prefer the first option it would make the game more exiting and less tame. In anycase something definantly needs to be done all we are playing for really is exp to progress to the next rank and the next and so on its gonna get pretty boring when you get to the highest rank with the biggest ship, you will be able to fly around doing the same things but gaining nothing and lossing nothing. If you catch my drift.

Disscussion please. And no flamming of people. and yes i do like the game.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 09:18 AM
I believe that there is a bug where your dead crew respawns when you leave a system, or get healed if you stay in the system too long.

Perhaps the "bug" is an intentional "feature" at the moment, because even Cryptic has said that the Miranda-class feel quite weak and they don't want to punish players too much when starting out. Whatever the reason, however, we definitely need a death penalty, and I feel that losing a good chunk of your crew on each defeat is a good idea.

Ground combat is easy: if your party gets wiped you should get ejected to space and have to start the mission over. That is punishment enough.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 09:20 AM
They can still do the lost your ship punishment and not stop new players because they could make the begginer ship never run out of respawns.

The crew thing hasent really botherd me and ground combat defeat is pointless may as well be invincible lol
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 09:25 AM
IIRC the original punishment for dying in space was a loss of crew (random 25-33% dead -- as in not coming back ever). This required you to travel to a major station to requisition new members, and you could only requisition so many in a given period of time; requisitions cost merits as well.

They died in PvP as well, but would be replenished at the end of the scenario. This was to punish people who made repeated suicide runs, as eventually 95% of your crew would be dead (the cap) and your ship would be incredibly ineffective in combat.

Getting ejected to space if you get wiped on a ground mission is bad enough. Most of them last a while and having to start over is no fun.

Unless you are playing a game like EVE, where you know what you are signing up for at the outset (hopefully), death penalties should be on the level of "modestly annoying". This makes you want to avoid dying without taking huge chunks out of your playtime when you screw up occasionally.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 09:28 AM
You better brace for impact. I sense carebear flames incoming.

Oh, an Op is right.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormseeker99 View Post
IIRC the original punishment for dying in space was a loss of crew (random 25-33% dead -- as in not coming back ever). This required you to travel to a major station to requisition new members, and you could only requisition so many in a given period of time; requisitions cost merits as well.

They died in PvP as well, but would be replenished at the end of the scenario. This was to punish people who made repeated suicide runs, as eventually 95% of your crew would be dead (the cap) and your ship would be incredibly ineffective in combat.

Getting ejected to space if you get wiped on a ground mission is bad enough. Most of them last a while and having to start over is no fun.

Unless you are playing a game like EVE, where you know what you are signing up for at the outset (hopefully), death penalties should be on the level of "modestly annoying". This makes you want to avoid dying without taking huge chunks out of your playtime when you screw up occasionally.
I think a Merit loss for ground and space deaths would be best. It would be annoying and show your loss of renown with Star Fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 09:39 AM
The swg death penalty was the best I have ever seen in a game. You die, you lose some light stats..very light stat loss. However if you died again and again this added up. You eventually had to go to a cantina to "rest" and watch a dancer to fix your "mind" and go to a hospital to fix your health stats.
The stat loss was not enough to make you want to leave immediatly but after several deaths.. you really needed too.
Now, as for really being worried about a death penalty..I am not, I would much rather see them working towards content and bugs. I don't want them to stop everything even for a minute right now to ponder "hum how can we punish players for dying..when we don't even have the rest of the game ironed out."
"Yes they must be punished, this repetetive pve combat/exploration is not bad enough, someone punish them some more..yes take away their ship! Along with the weapons and everything on it they have worked for doing, repetetive missions and they can do more repetetive missions"
Repetetive omg I think it's getting repetetive. Along w/ the lack of life forms and the ability to travel about and find planets to randomly explore, no thanks. Wait till things are ironed out.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navshep View Post
I think a Merit loss for ground and space deaths would be best. It would be annoying and show your loss of renown with Star Fleet.
I think it would also be cool to just have a percentage of effectiveness, other players could inspect you and see basicly how often you fail/win. This would give you more reason to not die..if you want to impress ppl stay at 100% ! Of course that would be difficult as I do not enjoy my ship blowing up anyway but it has done so several times lol.

Edit: I suppose also a pvp ranking system