Lt. Commander
# 1 Skill question ( Eng- Shields)
02-06-2010, 03:08 PM
Hi,

when I increase the Skill in (LT-CMD)-Engineering-Shields the skill descibsion says "This skill increase your shield efficency". If I increase the skill from 7 to 9 the skill "Emergency power to shields" didnt increase (so the my BO skill describsion tell me). Are my shields now better from 7 to 9 (the "emergency power to shield didnt increase) or were these 400 skillpoints waste. I cant see any difference to my shields. Or I have missed something?
Are the skills that are "active" (like emergency power to shields) also increase some "passive" things?

Braakin
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braakin
Hi,

when I increase the Skill in (LT-CMD)-Engineering-Shields the skill descibsion says "This skill increase your shield efficency". If I increase the skill from 7 to 9 the skill "Emergency power to shields" didnt increase (so the my BO skill describsion tell me). Are my shields now better from 7 to 9 (the "emergency power to shield didnt increase) or were these 400 skillpoints waste. I cant see any difference to my shields. Or I have missed something?
Are the skills that are "active" (like emergency power to shields) also increase some "passive" things?

Braakin
Are you talking about the Lt Commander "Starship Shield Maintenance" skill? I haven't gotten to Commander, but the maintenance skill definitely improves "Emergency Power to Shields".

If you check the amount the "Emergency Power to Shields" adds to your shield power levels you should see an increase. For example, when I started, "Emergency Power to Weapons" added +10 to my weapon power levels and "Emergency Power to Shields" added +10 to my shield power levels in addition to giving a more immediate boost to the shields. I now have "Shield Maintenance" with 7 points and "Weapon Maintenance" with another 7 points. Now my EPtoW skills gives +15 to weapon power levels and EPtoS gives +15 to shield power levels.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 04:56 AM
Quote:
..."Emergency Power to Shields" added +10 to my shield power levels in addition to giving a more immediate boost to the shields. I now have "Shield Maintenance" with 7 points and "Weapon Maintenance" with another 7 points. Now my EPtoW skills gives +15 to weapon power levels and EPtoS gives +15 to shield power levels.
Yes I'm talking about "Starship Shield Maintenance".
The last increase in "EPtoS" was with 7th point spend.
I inreased the skill to 9 point and "EPtoS" didn't increase.
Have I a benefit for the 400 points spend or are they wasted?
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braakin
Yes I'm talking about "Starship Shield Maintenance".
The last increase in "EPtoS" was with 7th point spend.
I inreased the skill to 9 point and "EPtoS" didn't increase.
Have I a benefit for the 400 points spend or are they wasted?
The last few points put into any skill really isn't getting you much improvement. Looking at "Starship Shield Maintenance" you'll see that the first point you put in gives you an 8% increase, the second gives you a 6% increase, then a 4% increase. The last two points give you a 1% increase each -- not a whole heck of a lot. I'm assuming under the hood the game engine really is give you the extra 2% bonus points for your 400 skill points, it's now showing up in the user interface because they round numbers off before displaying them. But arguably your 400 points spent to get from 7-9 could have been better spent elsewhere.