Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Career Officer
I am very frustrated and annoyed with the rewards for completing the doff cxp system, particularly the diplomacy.

In looking at the stated rewards for diplomacy, completing the ladder allows you to "Select a single Boff of the opposing faction." of all the commendation ladders, this APPEARS to be the only with a real reward to make any of the commendation ladders worth pursuing.

When I read this on day one I got very excited and generated all kinds of Ideas about the possibilities.

So I set one of my initial (kdf) characters on a long hard marauding grind to unlock the fed c-store personel. on achieving rank 4 I discovered that completing the chain does not unlock the c-store.

Perturbed, but not undaunted, I decided to try something a little different with a fed alt. Spent out of pocket rl cash to convert to keys to convert to EC on the exchange to buy a good purple quality kdf, and months grinding dip missions to get to that tier 4, and I can't slot the boff I bought.

Why can't I slot him? Well, after doing some more research, I've discovered that what they MEAN when they say "a single boff of the opposing faction" is really "Select a single low quality boff of the opposing faction from a very limited selection."

Dudes, come on. I understand why you don't tell us at the outset that the rewards for the endeavor are cr*p, because if you did, we wouldn't waste our time pursuing those rewards.

This just isn't right. The idea is a good one--but it needs a fix (see suggestion below) and all the commendation ladders need better rewards if you want people to do them without becoming so annoyed with the payout that you lose a customer over it. (yes, I seriously considered quitting over this.)

What I'd like to see for a fix: give me a diplomacy token, (bound, consumed on use) for completing the ladder. The token will flag you as a member of the opposing faction to the system for personel purchases. This would allow me to buy that opposing faction cstore boff, and use the opposing faction boff in my candidate roster (though I won't be able to slot my own till I use it...)
Career Officer
# 2
04-17-2014, 02:47 PM
A looooonnnggg time ago, when everyone was excited about "new hair technology", Cryptic told us they would add cool rewards to all the other categories besides Diplomacy and Marauding....

Well they said a lot of things... But I think that very limited, not customizable Boff at least has been purple for some time now. I never got one, not a single one of them.

Lt. Commander
# 3
04-17-2014, 02:51 PM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1074151

We know you complained about this before.
Career Officer
# 4
04-17-2014, 03:03 PM
yes, I have complained elsewhere about this difficulty. Now I understand that the difficulty was probably because of poorly communicated intent rather than coding error or intentional misrepresentation.

With this insight, I was able to make a suggestion that would allieve my own frustration (along with every other player that's had this complaint), while expanding the potential market for saleable boffs at the same time.

after all, this is a suggestion box, isn't it?
Captain
# 5
04-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Well you also get the diplomatic immunity allong the way and the transwarp options. And the seat on the voting council at ds9 (although could someone please explain to me how that works please?).
Also can you not customize the boff you get? I know I'd like to as my klingon default look is bald and just plain wrong looking.
I do totally get your points regarding the rewards for completing tier IV of the various doff department stuff.
Aside from the titles etc its just...um... Not worth it in most cases. Although if I'm missing something please tell me.
The dilithium you get allong the way as well as the various items is definately worth it over time however (imo).

"If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
04-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomofweird View Post
Also can you not customize the boff you get? I know I'd like to as my klingon default look is bald and just plain wrong looking.

Yeah, you can. I made my Fed Orion look like a little kid.
Career Officer
# 7
04-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Feds can customize their boff from this yes. Klingons, what a surprise, still can't customize the feddi boff they get. But hey how bout that new ESD? wooooo......
Captain
# 8
04-17-2014, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargister View Post
Feds can customize their boff from this yes. Klingons, what a surprise, still can't customize the feddi boff they get. But hey how bout that new ESD? wooooo......
If you have a pet snake or spider, you also raise mouses. But you don't really care about your mouses, as they end up being food for your pet.

Romulan and KDF are the same. Why should they care about them, since they are just there for the occasional money grab, and to make the fed less lonely. Also, they are good for marketing (STO, featuring 3 factions !).

We have our 3rd (!) construction of ESD, and we are still missing an academy for the Romulan (and meanwhile, Romulan have to move to their allied academy, and can do twice the amount of DOFF mission). Same resources, same dev, same time... but yeah, I can totally see why it was not important.
Captain
# 9
04-17-2014, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kargister View Post
Thanks for clearing that up I probably deserve a slap on the wrist for not checking myself but tbh it just kept slipping my mind until I saw this thread in the latter part of my evening.
If anyone could clarify the ds9 voting thing for me that would be awesome.

"If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
Starfleet Veteran
# 10
04-17-2014, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomofweird View Post
If anyone could clarify the ds9 voting thing for me that would be awesome.

I never got it to work, myself.