Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Duty Officer System and R&D
Login

Captain
# 11
04-17-2014, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomofweird View Post
And the seat on the voting council at ds9 (although could someone please explain to me how that works please?).
I'm not 100% certain how this works. All I know is that on the upper level of DS9 (the otherwise abandoned level) there is a diplomatic contact of some sorts...

This contact sells transwarp coils, that will warp a player to a predetermined "diplomatic transwarp location" (aka K7, Sierra 39, or DS9 Fedside, Alpha Cent, Regulus, DS9 KDF). The specific coil that's being sold is picked by the "DS9 Voting Council"...

The main point I'm unsure about is how the "windows" work, I think it might be odd hours = vote, even hours = buy. It might be that the coil picked by voters who vote from 10 - 11 is the one sold from 11 - 12, and you can vote / buy at any point in time...

All I know is once you get T4 diplo/marauder, you can't buy the coils anymore, since you've already earned all the points the coils can take you...
Well, with the upgrade announcement leaving NX and Connie fans in the dust again, can we restart / revisit the T5 Connie and NX threads - since they will no longer be "truly" endgame ships... (after we get the T5 versions, it'll be time to see them added to the T5U upgrade charts too...
Captain
# 12
04-17-2014, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldrithpw View Post
I am very frustrated and annoyed with the rewards for completing the doff cxp system, particularly the diplomacy.

In looking at the stated rewards for diplomacy, completing the ladder allows you to "Select a single Boff of the opposing faction." of all the commendation ladders, this APPEARS to be the only with a real reward to make any of the commendation ladders worth pursuing.

When I read this on day one I got very excited and generated all kinds of Ideas about the possibilities.

So I set one of my initial (kdf) characters on a long hard marauding grind to unlock the fed c-store personel. on achieving rank 4 I discovered that completing the chain does not unlock the c-store.
It is at this point, if I hadn't before I began the "long hard marauding grind", that I'd have checked the wiki and seen that only certain races were listed as rewards. If I had further questions, asking here in the forums would have cleared it up. Doing so before the time spent would have made more sense, but if not, I wouldn't recommend spending more time without researching further. Instead, you proceed:
Quote:
Perturbed, but not undaunted, I decided to try something a little different with a fed alt. Spent out of pocket rl cash to convert to keys to convert to EC on the exchange to buy a good purple quality kdf, and months grinding dip missions to get to that tier 4, and I can't slot the boff I bought.
When you reached t4 on your KDF character, you SAW how the reward BOff worked, why on EARTH would you think it'd work any differently?!? Not to mention, exactly what kind of BOff did you buy to need to sell keys for a KDF BOff? I guess I spend more time watching Fed BOffs, but right now, a Human (Leadership) Sci w/TSS3 is only 5 mil EC's and Efficient Saurians are less than a mil. Fed-alligned Klingons float in the middle starting at around 3 mil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meldrithpw16396721
Why can't I slot him? Well, after doing some more research, I've discovered that what they MEAN when they say "a single boff of the opposing faction" is really "Select a single low quality boff of the opposing faction from a very limited selection."
Low quality? Purple isn't low quality. Congrats on finally doing some research. Too bad it took you two grinds to figure that out.
Quote:
Dudes, come on. I understand why you don't tell us at the outset that the rewards for the endeavor are cr*p, because if you did, we wouldn't waste our time pursuing those rewards.
Umm... Let's completely disregard the dil, xp, and gear you picked up along the way. I was DOffing for those "set it and forget it" rewards long before I figured out I had a BOff coming to me in Diplo. But yeah, aside from the rewards, there are no rewards, you are right...

Quote:
This just isn't right. The idea is a good one--but it needs a fix (see suggestion below) and all the commendation ladders need better rewards if you want people to do them without becoming so annoyed with the payout that you lose a customer over it. (yes, I seriously considered quitting over this.)
Ya know what? I have dealt with enough people in real life who, after repeated attempts, were still upset that they couldn't figure something out, even though there were multiple chances to read about AND ask about how something worked. I'm gonna tell you what I couldn't tell them: Fine. Quit. You'll be better off, we'll be better off.

Quote:
What I'd like to see for a fix: give me a diplomacy token, (bound, consumed on use) for completing the ladder. The token will flag you as a member of the opposing faction to the system for personel purchases. This would allow me to buy that opposing faction cstore boff, and use the opposing faction boff in my candidate roster (though I won't be able to slot my own till I use it...)
Yeah, cross-faction BOff aren't buggy enough, let's add another layer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlevelgod69 View Post
You're like a bad AI with no ability to question why you type these things down. Instead reacting like any scripted AI should. With conformity to the if-then-else logic you were scripted with.
Career Officer
# 13
04-17-2014, 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
If you have a pet snake or spider, you also raise mouses. But you don't really care about your mouses, as they end up being food for your pet.

Romulan and KDF are the same. Why should they care about them, since they are just there for the occasional money grab, and to make the fed less lonely. Also, they are good for marketing (STO, featuring 3 factions !).

We have our 3rd (!) construction of ESD, and we are still missing an academy for the Romulan (and meanwhile, Romulan have to move to their allied academy, and can do twice the amount of DOFF mission). Same resources, same dev, same time... but yeah, I can totally see why it was not important.
No, that couldn't be more incorrect if you tried. If you have a leaky faucet in your house you fix it. You don't let it drip for several years. Do you need new curtains? Sure you do, but that damn faucets been leaking for the past 3 years. For crying out loud, get off your rusty dusty and fix it already.

Or to use your analogy, if you don't feed your mice they're going to die. Then where will your pet be?
Captain
# 14
04-17-2014, 11:11 PM
DS9 voting rights were removed a long time ago because the "windows" of time were messed up. They just never removed the description text from the T4 rewards.

p.s. OP made several assumptions, all of which were wrong, without doing any actual research or asking questions in zone chat. "Hey where do I get my opposing faction diplomacy boff?" would have saved a world of hurt. It's their own fault that they got burned.

That being said, I would not be opposed to allowing someone who hits T4 dipomacy/marauding to EITHER buy (as in pay for) 1 enemy c-store boff OR select 1 free boff from the existing diplomacy store from the current system. Once selecting a boff, all options are locked out. That would probably be WAY more complicated to code than the current system though, so it would probably be easier for Cryptic to just add more options to the existing diplo store.

p.p.s. If OP is displeased with their free diplo boff from the diplo store I'll take it off of their hands for them
-----------------======== Joined: January 2009 ========-----------------
Hate the look of the new Arc site? >>>Check out my redesign concept images<<<

Once again, UI feedback goes wholly ignored

Last edited by mightybobcnc; 04-17-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Career Officer
# 15
04-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergins View Post
It is at this pointÖthat I'd have checked the wiki and seen that only certain races were listed as rewards. If I had further questions, asking here in the forums would have cleared it up.
I did check the wiki and I did check the forums. My initial character was not looking for an exotic species, I was simply looking for a HUMAN borg. (I assumed it was a coding error or an oversight, and suggested it should be attended to.) It was not until my third posting on this subject (after my time and cash investment) that anyone bothered to point out that only a small number dip4 boffs were available and had to be purchased from specific vendors.

Quote:
When you reached t4 on your KDF character, you SAW how the reward BOff worked, why on EARTH would you think it'd work any differently?!?
First of all, my initial experience did not show how it worked, only one part of it that didnít work. And why would I think the kdf system works differently? Because it DOES work differently--as so many have pointed out, the kdf dip4 are not customizable while the fed are. (this difference yields more google hits for me than anything else on the dip4 boff.)

Quote:
Not to mention, exactly what kind of BOff did you buy to need to sell keys for a KDF BOff? I guess I spend more time watching Fed BOffs, but right now, a Human (Leadership) Sci w/TSS3 is only 5 mil EC's and Efficient Saurians are less than a mil. Fed-alligned Klingons float in the middle starting at around 3 mil.
Itís not really the point, but finding a purple Gorn Tac with superior solidier and a few other superior traits, with rare skills is worth what I paid for it, or would be if my all lizard fed ship could use him. IMO the reason that the boffs you note are listed at such a low price is because nobody wants them, or at least theyíre not ones Iíd want.

Quote:
Low quality? Purple isn't low quality.
Unfortunately, my lvl 33 fed only seems to have WHITE quality kdf boffs available from Jiro Sugihara. Even if he Did have purple, itís highly unlikely that heíd have this particular combination of traits that Iíve see ONCE on the exchange in the last 4 months.

I donít think Iím asking for anything that will upset the balance of the universe. All Iím asking for is one more reason to give Cryptic my money, and suggesting how they can make it easier for us to do so.
Career Officer
# 16
04-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomofweird View Post
And the seat on the voting council at ds9
And what a nifty little reward it is...... It doesn't work anymore anyway.

If you ask me, the best reward for completing the diplomacy is the diplomatic uniform.
"And at Warp 10, we're going nowhere mighty fast."-Scotty

Last edited by vengefuldjinn; 04-19-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Captain
# 17
04-19-2014, 05:53 PM
Quote:
I did check the wiki and I did check the forums. My initial character was not looking for an exotic species, I was simply looking for a HUMAN borg. (I assumed it was a coding error or an oversight, and suggested it should be attended to.) It was not until my third posting on this subject (after my time and cash investment) that anyone bothered to point out that only a small number dip4 boffs were available and had to be purchased from specific vendors.
Well, I only see one place other than here where you seem to describe your problem, and when you come out and say that you bought the BOff, it is immediately pointed out that isn't how it works. Not to mention, I said I'd have checked before I did the 1st grind, you still checked after you did it twice.

Quote:
First of all, my initial experience did not show how it worked, only one part of it that didnít work. And why would I think the kdf system works differently? Because it DOES work differently--as so many have pointed out, the kdf dip4 are not customizable while the fed are. (this difference yields more google hits for me than anything else on the dip4 boff.)
So, because the KDF side has less functionality, you assumed that the Fed side had more functionality in a direction that isn't reciprocal to the stated lacking? That's like me assuming I don't need a driver's license in New York because there is no seatbelt law in New Hampshire. Doesn't make sense? Exactly.

Quote:
Itís not really the point, but finding a purple Gorn Tac with superior solidier and a few other superior traits, with rare skills is worth what I paid for it, or would be if my all lizard fed ship could use him. IMO the reason that the boffs you note are listed at such a low price is because nobody wants them, or at least theyíre not ones Iíd want.
I was pointing at those prices as being high. Granted, there is an active thread right now talking about Orion BOffs (diplo ones) going for 500 mil, but even there, the most quoted price is under 10 mil. Again, how much did you pay for that BOff that you had to break out keys on the exchange despite having months to grind up ECs?
Quote:
Unfortunately, my lvl 33 fed only seems to have WHITE quality kdf boffs available from Jiro Sugihara. Even if he Did have purple, itís highly unlikely that heíd have this particular combination of traits that Iíve see ONCE on the exchange in the last 4 months.
White diplo BOffs were done away with several seasons ago, so either you're doing it wrong or you've found a bug & should file a ticket. Does the C-Store BOff you want have the traits you want?
Quote:
I donít think Iím asking for anything that will upset the balance of the universe. All Iím asking for is one more reason to give Cryptic my money, and suggesting how they can make it easier for us to do so.
Personally, I claimed my diplo BOff AND gave Cryptic money for my faction-appropriate Borg BOff. I bet, in the interest of selling BOff slots, they like my way better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxlevelgod69 View Post
You're like a bad AI with no ability to question why you type these things down. Instead reacting like any scripted AI should. With conformity to the if-then-else logic you were scripted with.