Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 10 Forum Axioms
02-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Ten little Life Lessons of the internet; presented purely for your enjoyment and possibly edification.

Rule 1; If you wouldn't say what you are about to post to someone who is in the room with you....
then don't post it.

Rule 2; If you read your post aloud and feel intense guilt, disgust, or realize that it adds nothing to the world then don't post it.

Rule 3; If you make a thread, people WILL post in it and its unlikely all of them will agree with you.

Rule 4; Not everyone follows these rules. Be prepared to deal with the ones who don't.

Rule 5; When you see an opinion that differs with your own you do not always have to make it known that your opinion differs.

Rule 6; Your own opinion is not the end-all be-all even if www. whatever-dot-com backs it up, or others are saying the same thing.
An opinion is an opinion is an opinion.
Facts are only things that are *quantifiable*.

Rule 7; Civility is like gold; its precious slippery and weighty and people respect it.

Rule 8; Flames are like Tribbles, they multiply at 10-to-the-third-power if you feed them.

Rule 9; You don't really know who is on the other end of that avatar unless you have met them outside the interwebs before. Thus, try and treat everyone equally until they give you cause to do otherwise.

Rule 10; Just because you have anonymity and an audience does not give you leave to be an a**-hat.
Act and speak as if you were posting with your entire name and contact information beside your post.

Pretend as if your real-world reputation was at stake, and you will usually find that the quality of your posts and the quantity of respect given to you will go up.

/Final Disclaimer;
Just because you act like a good kind wise person online doesn't mean everyone else will.
These sorts of people will disrespect you and these axioms whenever they please.

So in a sense, 'Rule 11;' "Not letting uncivil cads and blackguards 'get to you' is one of the greatest secrets to happiness online."

Ok, I'm done.
I hope someone will at least giggle at these, and I hope everyone will stop and think a bit about the way the internet makes humans behave (there have even been studies on the subject.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
I feel happy ...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
02-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Blah blah blah ... * throws 1000's of tribbles at you!*

<--is trolling for troll's sakes :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
02-07-2010, 11:38 AM
/signed

10chars
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
02-07-2010, 11:39 AM
you forgot 12, Men are Men, Women are Men, and kids are FBI agents.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
02-07-2010, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
you forgot 12, Men are Men, Women are Men, and kids are FBI agents.
You know come to think of it thats pretty much true
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
02-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
Ten little Life Lessons of the internet; presented purely for your enjoyment and possibly edification.

Rule 1; If you wouldn't say what you are about to post to someone who is in the room with you....
then don't post it.

Rule 2; If you read your post aloud and feel intense guilt, disgust, or realize that it adds nothing to the world then don't post it.

Rule 3; If you make a thread, people WILL post in it and its unlikely all of them will agree with you.

Rule 4; Not everyone follows these rules. Be prepared to deal with the ones who don't.

Rule 5; When you see an opinion that differs with your own you do not always have to make it known that your opinion differs.

Rule 6; Your own opinion is not the end-all be-all even if www. whatever-dot-com backs it up, or others are saying the same thing.
An opinion is an opinion is an opinion.
Facts are only things that are *quantifiable*.

Rule 7; Civility is like gold; its precious slippery and weighty and people respect it.

Rule 8; Flames are like Tribbles, they multiply at 10-to-the-third-power if you feed them.

Rule 9; You don't really know who is on the other end of that avatar unless you have met them outside the interwebs before. Thus, try and treat everyone equally until they give you cause to do otherwise.

Rule 10; Just because you have anonymity and an audience does not give you leave to be an a**-hat.
Act and speak as if you were posting with your entire name and contact information beside your post.

Pretend as if your real-world reputation was at stake, and you will usually find that the quality of your posts and the quantity of respect given to you will go up.

/Final Disclaimer;
Just because you act like a good kind wise person online doesn't mean everyone else will.
These sorts of people will disrespect you and these axioms whenever they please.

So in a sense, 'Rule 11;' "Not letting uncivil cads and blackguards 'get to you' is one of the greatest secrets to happiness online."

Ok, I'm done.
I hope someone will at least giggle at these, and I hope everyone will stop and think a bit about the way the internet makes humans behave (there have even been studies on the subject.)
nicely written, and sad so few people will follow these unless they already do.

i do have a problem with number 6 though >.> i am perfect so everything i say must be as well and thus all my opinions are the end all be all :p at least in my own little world they are, everyone is of course free to disreguard >.>

more seriously though an extension to 6. just because you have "www.stuffhere.com" backing you up does not mean what you posted is a true fact. websites aren't all knowing and all accurate. only an official site backed by true studies and research can be considered even close. a good example is Wiki's. wikis are written by anyone who wants to add something. a lot of people site proper sources but this is not always the case. if i want to i can "amend" a wiki stating the sky is blue to say the sky is green (someone would probably fix it fast). so if you do want to prove something post from an official site, don't just wiki it as it CAN be wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
you forgot 12, Men are Men, Women are Men, and kids are FBI agents.
so that splains the people pounding on my door at the moment .... all i did was offer them candy ... i mean ummm >.>
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
02-07-2010, 12:25 PM
that made my brain hurt after reading that, but it makes me happy knowing that someone took the time to write that.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
02-07-2010, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
You know come to think of it thats pretty much true
heres another one
13: behind every hard talking, thuggish rage post, is a skinny 14 year old white boy with a sideways hat.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
02-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFork
heres another one
13: behind every hard talking, thuggish rage post, is a skinny 14 year old white boy with a sideways hat.
And sometimes not even the hat, or even worse sometimes without a shirt.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.