Lt. Commander
# 21
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I was going to reply with my usual flippant snarkiness, but then I say rule number 2 and decided it didn't add anything to the conversation.

So instead i will simply congratulate you on the strangely constructive post and not mention anything about the axoim of requiring more Desu.

Whoops.
Lt. Commander
# 22
02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
So, I decided to do another follow up 10-list inspired by a recent spat of forum stupidity :p

10 Things that you can say to make yourself look like an idiot on the STO forums.
also called 10 things not to say if you want any sort of reputation
or
10 things that have been rehashed way too many times, no new threads please.

1; "Cryptic! Do X Y and Z! now! (or I quit)"
You the customer are making demands of the company?
What world do you live in? Either you buy the product or you don't. You don't dictate terms after the fact.
Protip; threatening to quit only makes you the subject of ridicule.

/addendum; constructive crit and suggestions are fine. Its when it becomes a demand that its stupid.

2; "This game should be f2p" or "Lower the monthly cost" or "I want my money back"
Plain and simple solution; Go cancel your sub and leave the rest of us alone.
Protip; to ask for something that cost millions to make and costs millions to maintain to be given to you for free is monumental foolishness.

3; "I quit!!!! RGGGGH!!!"
Protip; We don't give a tribble-terd that you quit. Leave quietly unless you want to be publicly humiliated.

4; "I am SO awesome!!! I will pwnzor you!" also "Our fleet is the BEST! Bow to us!!!"
Protip; Theres always a bigger fish.

5; "You are a stupid fanboi"
Protip; The supporters of something tend to be fans of it.

6; "This game will not last 3 years"
Protip; They said the same of Windows.

7; "This game is a WoW killer"
Protip; Unlikely, you are allowed to hope but not to state it as if its a fact.
(I too hope for the day WoW will be toppled... just keep the optimism in check a bit)

8; "I want to sue!!!"
Protip; Don't make me laugh. Legal action? Over you either;
*1; being stupid?
*2; buying something?
*3; getting disconnected because you didn't set a firewall exception or something?
You watch too much legal drama.

9; "How do I shot phazor?"
Protip; Your question makes you appear monumentally idiotic if its one thats answered easily by a past thread or an announcement or the game manual.
Read up on all three before starting a question please, it makes it easier to answer the truly pressing ones.

10; "How dare the devs not respond to my urgent demand/need/want in less than ten seconds!!!!"
Protip; They have better things to do. Like for example keeping the servers running or making new content for us.

/Disclaimer; I don't mean to sound cynical or like a cold-hearted angry b*****d, but I get sick of the rampant levels of stupidity some forum members/trolls exhibit.

Im sorry if I offended any civilized persons in the process of insulting the uncivilized ones.
Lt. Commander
# 23
02-11-2010, 12:34 AM
A few of these I just had to comment on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
(I too hope for the day WoW will be toppled... just keep the optimism in check a bit)
You know, I have actually yet to see a game that has actually achieved "<game>-killer" status, including WOW. I started out my MMO playing on EQ1, and every new game that came down the road was pre-destined to kill it. Last time I checked, it's still going (though smaller than it was), but a damn rabidly fanatic playerbase.

Quote:
8; "I want to sue!!!"
Protip; Don't make me laugh. Legal action? Over you either;
*1; being stupid?
*2; buying something?
*3; getting disconnected because you didn't set a firewall exception or something?
You watch too much legal drama.
People that spout this one off make me wish that I had pursued my law school ambitions about 10 years ago. The money that could be made off these people has got to be amazing. (That is, if they would actually pay. Something about paying a $1000 to get $60 back....cost - fees...would probably turn them off the idea.)

Really, I actually find those kinds of posts somewhat entertaining. It just proves to me every day that my lack of faith in humanity and human nature is not unfounded.
Lt. Commander
# 24
02-11-2010, 03:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
I like WOW right where it is. WOW is the magnet of magnets. It will suck most of the OMGLOLL33T players and never release them.
If this game is a WOW killer (which it is not) where will the tards go? Rather have them stay on Azeroth.
Lt. Commander
# 25
02-11-2010, 06:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satcong
I like WOW right where it is. WOW is the magnet of magnets. It will suck most of the OMGLOLL33T players and never release them.
If this game is a WOW killer (which it is not) where will the tards go? Rather have them stay on Azeroth.
Now see there? Thats an optimistic and fresh (and probably exactly right) perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon47
You know, I have actually yet to see a game that has actually achieved "<game>-killer" status, including WOW. I started out my MMO playing on EQ1, and every new game that came down the road was pre-destined to kill it. Last time I checked, it's still going (though smaller than it was), but a damn rabidly fanatic playerbase.
Same situation with the iphone.
People always talk about the next 'iphone killer' but there never is one.
An iphone is an iphone, a blackberry is a blackberry, and Star Trek is not Azeroth-or-whatever.

Now if youll all excuse me Im going to legal school so I can.... bah never-mind. :p
Lt. Commander
# 26
02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
I'd like to add Axiom # 42 if I may.

Don't Panic, the servers/forums/entire Cryptic game network will be back online sooner than you think. Think of these down times as a chance to enjoy the living human parts of your life, such a food, love, literature, or cinema.
Lt. Commander
# 27
02-26-2010, 05:02 PM
These axioms are great, its just sad so few adhere to them these day. Thanks for restoring my belief that there are still civil respectable people around who can get along and enjoy something that they have in common
Lt. Commander
# 28
02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Jonathan, while I have to admit that your lists make a pretty interesting read, I think that posting something constructive just ruined your Ten Forward cred
Lt. Commander
# 29
03-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwheel
While this one is there in a fashion I just love the way it goes how I first read it:

Always keep your words sweet incase you need to eat them later.
Well said! Though I admit that I tend to keep mine more on the savory side.
Lt. Commander
# 30
03-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sintar07 View Post
Jonathan, while I have to admit that your lists make a pretty interesting read, I think that posting something constructive just ruined your Ten Forward cred
Aaaah nuts. :p

I do one constructive thing in my deep past and suddenly the media dredges it up the moment I start to get public. *shameless politics parody*

So now that my reputation for deconstructivism (sp?) is tarnished forever..... any suggestions for new lists?