Lt. Commander
I've been playing on my Dual Core Dell laptop and the only way for me to get a decent framerate is to turn most of the graphics settings to low or off and im also running at half resolution. The game looks like I'm playing something on Nintendo64. Kinda reminds me of Rogue Squadron. I still enjoy it, even though It looks like poop, which I guess is a testament to how awesome this game is...
anyway, i digress...
I want to buy a new desktop computer (most specifically, for this game) and was looking at the following specs and was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on how well this will work... I think it surpasses the recommended specs by far enough, but I just wanted to get some opinions before I spend $1000 on a new machine.
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
Will this be sufficient to max out the graphics?
I really don't have much more money to play with, but I think this will do.
Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Um yeah thats a monster you're looking at right there.

I doubt it would have any issues with this game at full resolution + maxed settings.

Just be sure you have more-than-adequate cooling.

Computer buying/building rule #412; just because you have a pwnsome GPU doesn't mean you're keeping it cool enough for it to last more than a week.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 01:09 PM
hehe ok thanks! you just made me smile...
I'll make sure to double check the cooling situation.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
If you want to save on bucks you could probably come down to a Quad core without noticeable drop in performance.

The main thing here is the GPU and RAM.

I have a Quad core, NVIDIA 9800 GT, and 4gigs and I can run most of the way to max.

Im afraid to go all the way for cooling reasons and I have 5 fans, 2 intake and 2 vent + a vent fan on the GPU itself.

So yes... cooling. Very very important :p
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I also need a new comp for this game. Anyone have any recomendations? I was thinking about buying parts through Newegg, but I think I'd screw up somehow trying to put it together.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz115 View Post
I too need a new comp for this game. Anyone have any recomendations? I was thinking about buying parts through Newegg, but I think I'd screw up somehow trying to put it together.
The best way I have discovered so far to get a new PC is to go via a company like Cyberpower.

It can be a long and intensive search to get what you want for the right price from reputable people, but when you do its usually much better both in terms of price convenience and quality than either store-bought or self-assembly.

I should know, I got a machine that would have been over 1,100 to self-assemble using Tiger Direct/Newegg parts for $600.
(Albiet, I had a code for free shipping and did purchase my peripherals at Tiger....)

It can take a long time to nail down the right vendor/configuration but if you take your time and do extensive research on the company and the machine you want put together you can save a bundle.

There is some risk involved though as always with ordering from an internet company so be advised of that too.

Most in-store machines today are either a rip-off or crap or both. (Mainly because they have motherboard based Graphics which aren't worth SQUAT)
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 01:17 PM
"I have a Quad core, NVIDIA 9800 GT, and 4gigs and I can run most of the way to max."

Hehe. I have that too!
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 01:30 PM
I'd have the same fears trying to assemble my own machine too...
and I did extensive research on various internet companies...
I'm glad you said CyberPower cause thats who Im actually thinking of going with via Tigerdirect.ca
You've made me nervous about heat though, so I will keep a close eye on that for sure.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...Sku=C477-12148
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Heat once killed a computer of mine.

It was a laptop sure, but I learned my lesson good.

Darnedest thing, the constant heat actually melted the saudering INSIDE the graphics chip.
Not cool at all (no pun intended.)

Keeping your GPU cool will also actually increase its performance (hot graphics cards get lagolicious sometimes)

Fun-Fact;

While playing ME2 at max spec + added forced AA and AF my computer itself stays relatively cool, but the expelled heat can raise the temperature of my master bedroom up to five degrees in the winter.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 01:38 PM
I buy Dell personally.

Your new spec looks good.