Lt. Commander
There is a problem with self-targeting.

Oh wait... there is none.

Okay, so here is the fine details. I have an enemy targeted and I am firing away by as best I can. --- > then i get hit by something and take hull damage ---> i clicked "engineering team" or "science team" hoping to get my shields/hull back up ---> then i AUTOMATICALLY TARGET AN ALLY AND THEY RECEIVE THE BUFF ---> I die.

This shouldn't happen. Friendly heals/buffs should AUTOMATICALLY target --> SELF unless specifically targeting a friendly.

Do you know how inconvenient this is when doing the Crytalline entity fleet action? If I want to heal myself, I must clear my target so that I am self healed, and then I have to either circle through targets or manually click in order to fine my original target. I'm tired of the game auto-targeting friendly ships (who happen to already have 100% hull/shields) onlly for myself to die moments later because I didn't receive the heal I desperately needed.

Simple Solution:
Add an option (or change targeting habits) so that when someone has an enemy target... if they hit a heal/buff that it is automatically applied to themselves rather than auto-target an ally.

btw: there are several bugs/problems with targeting as it is. Might want to check it out.
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Can't say that I have ever applied a positive buff to an enemy.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobFlowers View Post
There is a problem with self-targeting.

Oh wait... there is none.

Okay, so here is the fine details. I have an enemy targeted and I am firing away by as best I can. --- > then i get hit by something and take hull damage ---> i clicked "engineering team" or "science team" hoping to get my shields/hull back up ---> then i AUTOMATICALLY TARGET AN ALLY AND THEY RECEIVE THE BUFF ---> I die.

This shouldn't happen. Friendly heals/buffs should AUTOMATICALLY target --> SELF unless specifically targeting a friendly.

Do you know how inconvenient this is when doing the Crytalline entity fleet action? If I want to heal myself, I must clear my target so that I am self healed, and then I have to either circle through targets or manually click in order to fine my original target. I'm tired of the game auto-targeting friendly ships (who happen to already have 100% hull/shields) onlly for myself to die moments later because I didn't receive the heal I desperately needed.

Simple Solution:
Add an option (or change targeting habits) so that when someone has an enemy target... if they hit a heal/buff that it is automatically applied to themselves rather than auto-target an ally.

btw: there are several bugs/problems with targeting as it is. Might want to check it out.
Turn off assist on Target - thats what controls that. That will cause all buffs/heals to be applied to yourself instead of your targets target.

I have that happend sometimes with those abilities but I also know it will happen as I have assist 'On' so I can target friendlies and attack their target. It causes heals when targeting a hostile to affect the targeted hostiles target and when a friendly is targeted attacks to be directed at the friendlies target.

There might be a way to /bind <key> <change setting> command to change that setting while that key is pressed, but I don't know myself. If not it would definately be something to ask for.

and target self = F1 by default (Off Topic but thread title is a bit misleading)
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SysOpPsyche View Post
Turn off assist on Target - thats what controls that. That will cause all buffs/heals to be applied to yourself instead of your targets target.

I have that happend sometimes with those abilities but I also know it will happen as I have assist 'On' so I can target friendlies and attack their target. It causes heals when targeting a hostile to affect the targeted hostiles target and when a friendly is targeted attacks to be directed at the friendlies target.

There might be a way to /bind <key> <change setting> command to change that setting while that key is pressed, but I don't know myself. If not it would definately be something to ask for.

and target self = F1 by default (Off Topic but thread title is a bit misleading)
Thanks a bunch, but it doesn't always work, the same goes with a lot of other targeting options.

For example, I have selected "target off scree n targets" and even wheN i try to select a target via keybinding, it NEVER selects a target off screen.
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I've noticed that too.
Thats been an issue with the UI since Champions Online.
There's an additional setting (not accessible in STO) that controls targeting order. Camera Center out, right to left, closest to farthest, etc.
STO is using a hybrid of those so its kind of funky and as you said it doesn't always work.

Seems the settings still have trouble overriding the default behaviour.
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Disabling assist-functions can't be the right way.

We need a "target-self" keybinding.