Go Back   Star Trek Online > Support > Graphical and Sound Issues
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Ensign
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
# 11
04-24-2014, 01:46 PM
Everything for me is really dark but it's in higher definition than when it's bright
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 256
# 12
04-24-2014, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
Try increasing the number of light sources if it is set at only 2.

I think 3 light sources makes things much brighter. Didn't notice too much difference go up to 4 or 5, but I was only doing a quick check in a single spot.
This has intriguing implications for those of us who have had our light sources maxxed, pre-S9 patch and after, but have noticed that things are 'lighter' than they used to be (reference OP's excellent before and after pics). Perhaps those of us who are experiencing things a touch, and sometimes far more brightly, might need to turn down our light sources from the max setting? Still wouldn't explain what's changed, if so, as my light settings have always been maxxed and there's clearly a difference in quality.

Been to SFA since I last posted here and tried to lower bloom to 70% and it made no difference at all, as those cobblestone walkways were still washed-out. I'll check for more trouble-spots and be sure to drop by the Badlands again and make doubly-sure to make a trip out to Nimbus III (given the complaints here).

Anyone had any luck with resolving this as yet? Given my frequent trips to SFA, it's nagging at my OCD something fierce. I could imagine how annoying it must be where this unexplained brightness is worse.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,672
# 13
04-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
This has intriguing implications for those of us who have had our light sources maxxed, pre-S9 patch and after, but have noticed that things are 'lighter' than they used to be (reference OP's excellent before and after pics). Perhaps those of us who are experiencing things a touch, and sometimes far more brightly, might need to turn down our light sources from the max setting? Still wouldn't explain what's changed, if so, as my light settings have always been maxxed and there's clearly a difference in quality.
I had "Max lights per object" set to 2 before Season 9 and set it to 2 after Season 9, and I still see a general increase in brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Been to SFA since I last posted here and tried to lower bloom to 70% and it made no difference at all, as those cobblestone walkways were still washed-out. I'll check for more trouble-spots and be sure to drop by the Badlands again and make doubly-sure to make a trip out to Nimbus III (given the complaints here).
If I set "Bloom quality" to "Low" or "Off", then the excessive brightness goes away. Note that lowering "Bloom intensity" doesn't seem to fix it. Setting "Shadows" to "Medium" or "High" fixes the issue in the corridors of Starfleet Academy, but not outside. I suspect that's because there isn't a ceiling to cast shadows outside.
Commander
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 256
# 14
04-25-2014, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
I had "Max lights per object" set to 2 before Season 9 and set it to 2 after Season 9, and I still see a general increase in brightness.



If I set "Bloom quality" to "Low" or "Off", then the excessive brightness goes away. Note that lowering "Bloom intensity" doesn't seem to fix it. Setting "Shadows" to "Medium" or "High" fixes the issue in the corridors of Starfleet Academy, but not outside. I suspect that's because there isn't a ceiling to cast shadows outside.
Thanks for the heads up on this Frtoaster! Didn't bother with shadows, as mine have always been set to low methinks. And I still have max lights per object maxxed, but I decreased bloom quality to low, as suggested, and it most definitely did the trick. The interior back halls of SFA are certainly bluer than they once were, especially around the hallway support columns. Yet it's nowhere near as bad as in your 'after pics' of those halls. While things are just a hair darker than they used to be pre-S9, it all looks a lot better than that bright/washed-out nonsense we had been experiencing.

Interestingly enough, I didn't decrease the bloom quality until I got to Nimbus III today. It was definitely brighter there than pre-S9, but not so bright as to be blinding, as someone else had mentioned. Very nearly blinding at the entrance to the bar though, if bloom quality is set to high. Reducing bloom quality to low definitely fixes this issue, no matter where ya may go it seems.
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 114
# 15
04-27-2014, 11:30 AM
Aye, mine is darker too. Had to increase brightness levels to 1.25 just to get it somewhere normal from pre-S9. It's still off, but what can you do.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,672
# 16
04-30-2014, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this Frtoaster! Didn't bother with shadows, as mine have always been set to low methinks. And I still have max lights per object maxxed, but I decreased bloom quality to low, as suggested, and it most definitely did the trick. The interior back halls of SFA are certainly bluer than they once were, especially around the hallway support columns. Yet it's nowhere near as bad as in your 'after pics' of those halls. While things are just a hair darker than they used to be pre-S9, it all looks a lot better than that bright/washed-out nonsense we had been experiencing.

Interestingly enough, I didn't decrease the bloom quality until I got to Nimbus III today. It was definitely brighter there than pre-S9, but not so bright as to be blinding, as someone else had mentioned. Very nearly blinding at the entrance to the bar though, if bloom quality is set to high. Reducing bloom quality to low definitely fixes this issue, no matter where ya may go it seems.
The screenshots in my first post were taken with "Bloom quality" set to "High". I have other screenshots in my Tribble thread with "Bloom quality" set to "Low". While setting "Bloom quality" to "Low" or "Off" does darken certain environments, I don't think this workaround should be considered an acceptable fix to a graphics issue. These lighting issues did not occur before Season 9.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,740
# 17
05-01-2014, 01:04 PM
The bloom has almost nothing to do with the issue. To see the real problem, you guys need to go to nimbus III and look how the desert is represented.

You will notice that it hurts the eyes. And it doesnt matter if you put bloom intensity to 0. Or if you lower the britghness. Its a completely different problem. In fact, if you deactivate the postprocessing, it fixes it, but then, the ambient becomes too dark. The opposite.

In other zones, it is not so noticeable, but in nimbus iii.. for god sake.

I NEVER go to nimbus after s9. I just cant. Now that they fixed the 3 dilithium missions there, i cant go to there for a complete different reason lol. Great, just great.

Its like cryptic make all these changes on purpose to make people unhappy.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 518
# 18
05-02-2014, 03:37 PM
Havent read all of the thread but i was at New Romulus and when i took shadows off i did notice that the lighting was very bright. When shadows went back on to medium or better it fixed it back to normal, make sure lighting is set to high not low as well.

So if some of you have this issue and have lighting or shadows on low maybe up them up to see if it fixes it?
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,740
# 19
05-02-2014, 06:15 PM
No. Everyone of us tried "playing" with the shadow options thousands of times, at least in my case. Nothing changes. Its not about shadows, its just the illumination is excesive. Maybe it is just only saturation, but in some zones like the nimbus desert, its terrible sometimes.

In zones with regular illumination, like interior spaces, it is not so noticeable, or in places like just regular illumination (new romulus is one of those places). But the sun of nimbus III is just too much lol.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,672
# 20
05-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
The bloom has almost nothing to do with the issue. To see the real problem, you guys need to go to nimbus III and look how the desert is represented.

You will notice that it hurts the eyes. And it doesnt matter if you put bloom intensity to 0. Or if you lower the britghness. Its a completely different problem. In fact, if you deactivate the postprocessing, it fixes it, but then, the ambient becomes too dark. The opposite.
For me, setting "Bloom quality" to "Low" or "Off" makes certain environments darker, but I don't consider this to be a valid bug fix. We shouldn't have to make everything darker; it looked fine before Season 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgecrysger View Post
No. Everyone of us tried "playing" with the shadow options thousands of times, at least in my case. Nothing changes. Its not about shadows, its just the illumination is excesive. Maybe it is just only saturation, but in some zones like the nimbus desert, its terrible sometimes.
For me, setting "Shadows" to "Medium" or "High" darkens the corridors of Starfleet Academy, but it has no effect on exterior environments where there is no roof to cast a shadow.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:13 AM.