Lt. Commander
# 1 Marriage Proposals
02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Well one thing I'm pretty sure MMOs do are allow you to marry another "chracter", now I've not seen any means of which to do this on STO. Is this even a feature and if not would it ever be added?
Lt. Commander
# 2
02-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Most MMOs, players do it in a sort of RP way, changing their last name and getting matching rings etc.

I think there was one that did them, but I don't know.

But letting them happen can cause problems. WOuld they allow gay or lesbian marriages or force only hetero ones?

That's why I like player run ones and not game run ones.
Lt. Commander
# 3
02-07-2010, 05:00 PM
I think STO is slated as a game for people that have a real life.

MMO marriages just mean some kid in the real world is crying in their play pen while their parents are playing MMOs.

And when they hit 8 years old the parents leave the xBox360 community to baby sit for them.

And when 14 WE get to baby sit them in MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 4
02-07-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryTerri View Post
Most MMOs, players do it in a sort of RP way, changing their last name and getting matching rings etc.

I think there was one that did them, but I don't know.

But letting them happen can cause problems. WOuld they allow gay or lesbian marriages or force only hetero ones?

That's why I like player run ones and not game run ones.
Your married to your ship and starfleet..
Lt. Commander
# 5
02-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Starblazer View Post
Your married to your ship and starfleet..
Here here! Picard couldn't have said it better!
Lt. Commander
# 6
02-07-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
The Next Generation was the first North American television show to have a homosexual kiss on screen. I don't think homosexual marriages would be an issue.

A lot of the in game marriages that I have known have been between real life couples. Others have been joke/sham marriages just to do it. Only a very few have fallen into that "crazy fantasy life overload" type of marriage. Also, whether or not they have marriages will hardly stop people from "hooking up" in game and becoming one of those crazy fantasy life overload people.
Lt. Commander
# 7
02-07-2010, 05:10 PM
Quote:
WOuld they allow gay or lesbian marriages or force only hetero ones?
Considering the setting, the Star Trek universe (where even adaptive programming gets equal rights to biological lifeforms), its safe to say they would obviously allow gay or lesbian marriages. The god-fearing zealots who oppose this shouldn't be playing this game in the first place, as the entire principle of Star Trek undermines the dogma's of their religion(s).

Personally, I can't really see the added benefit of game-supported ingame marriages. If someone is into these things its very doable to make it work in a player-run roleplay event. One could always buy a namechange with cryptic points and take the same last name, and as for rings, well some cosmetic jewelry would be nice regardless of marriages.
Lt. Commander
# 8
02-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah I guess RPing is one way, but when you can't afford to do things like name changes and the like it can be a pain.
Lt. Commander
# 9
02-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavillion View Post
The Next Generation was the first North American television show to have a homosexual kiss on screen. I don't think homosexual marriages would be an issue.
It was? Since when? I don't recall this happening.
Lt. Commander
# 10
02-07-2010, 05:50 PM
LOL. I've noticed quite a few lovely ladies I might want to spend time with, but none I want to marry.